Can Duke Run The Table?

ShaneDawg85

By the way, the '77 UNC team that had four Olympians was, in my opinion, better than Al McGuire's Marquettte team that beat them. Mitch Kupchak, Tom LaGarde, Walter Davis, Phil Ford, and for good measure, Michael O'Koren. Maybe that was before your time, but for me, it was the year before I transferred to Duke (from a Div. III school) and I got to see Ford, O'Koren and many other players on that team in person.

Yea, I was 6, but have become familiar with those teams even though I never saw them play. My Carolina obsession began at a Carolina/Maryland game in 1982, Matt Doherty threw me a towel, and I was hooked.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they are going to tun the table - which I think they can - they'll have to do it without Kyrie Irving. It sounds like he might be done for the year with toe injury.

That's a shame. You hate to see a kid that talented get hurt. Ty Lawson struggled with a toe injury the whole championship season in '09. Hope he can come back from this.

That's a shame. You hate to see a kid that talented get hurt. Ty Lawson struggled with a toe injury the whole championship season in '09. Hope he can come back from this.

Yes, as a member of the Wizards.:D

And, yes, I know they already have John Wall, but something tells me they'd make it work.

I think there is a chance he doesn't come out early because of the NBA issues...If he misses the entire season, that chance goes way way down.

What NBA issues? The possibility of a lock out? I agree with that. If there is going to be a lockout he may not want to leave.

However if they come to a new agreement I think he still comes out. Despite the injury I think he'd be a lock for a top 5 pick (NBAdraft.net has him #2 overall now but not sure if that has been updated to reflect the injury).

If you're gonna go top 5, you gotta leave.

Here's a report about Irving's situation: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5903650&source=ESPNUHeadlines

I'm not worried about Duke, they'll manage to play well even if Irving doesn't return (though "running the table" won't be remotely possible). But I do feel extremely bad for Irving. He's exciting to watch and I certainly wouldn't want his NBA future threatened by a freak injury.

Here's a report about Irving's situation: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5903650&source=ESPNUHeadlines

I'm not worried about Duke, they'll manage to play well even if Irving doesn't return (though "running the table" won't be remotely possible). But I do feel extremely bad for Irving. He's exciting to watch and I certainly wouldn't want his NBA future threatened by a freak injury.

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully it's something that surgery can fix and it won't ruin the kids career. He's really a special player..

What NBA issues? The possibility of a lock out? I agree with that. If there is going to be a lockout he may not want to leave.

However if they come to a new agreement I think he still comes out. Despite the injury I think he'd be a lock for a top 5 pick (NBAdraft.net has him #2 overall now but not sure if that has been updated to reflect the injury).

If you're gonna go top 5, you gotta leave.

There is going to be a lockout..I don't see any way arounf that.

It was the least talented, but the '91 team wasn't expected to win it all, as dominant as UNLV was that year..That Final Four game remains the only time I've ever rooted for Duke. I retired 1-0.

That final should've been Carolina/Duke, but we couldn't beat Kansas. Can you guys imagine that being the National championship game. The Ultimate bragging rights.

I want to preface this by saying that I'm NOT a Duke hater (I rooted for them before I went to college), but looking back, that UNLV game had to be fixed. That team was SO good. In the closing seconds they have their center take the last shot? When they have Johnson, Augman, Hunt, and Anthony. All those guys were on the take, I'm convinced that game was fixed.

Now, the next season with Grant Hill, that team was a bunch of rock stars.

Duke won't run the table without Irving, but they are still completely stacked with Curry, Smith and Dawkins at the guard spots. Dawkins and Curry would be starting for 98% of teams in America anyway and can both fill it up. The one issue is that none of these three are true point guards.

Duke won't run the table without Irving, but they are still completely stacked with Curry, Smith and Dawkins at the guard spots. Dawkins and Curry would be starting for 98% of teams in America anyway and can both fill it up. The one issue is that none of these three are true point guards.

Thorton is a true PG and would get increased minutes.

The difference is none of these guys make everyone else better and none of them are the playmakers Irving is.

He can score whenever he wants.

I want to preface this by saying that I'm NOT a Duke hater (I rooted for them before I went to college), but looking back, that UNLV game had to be fixed. That team was SO good. In the closing seconds they have their center take the last shot? When they have Johnson, Augman, Hunt, and Anthony. All those guys were on the take, I'm convinced that game was fixed.

Now, the next season with Grant Hill, that team was a bunch of rock stars.

Uh, Grant Hill was on the team that beat UNLV. As was every other starter that was on the team that repeated as National Champs in '92. I agree that the UNLV team was better, but spare me about the game being fixed. Was the Villanova-Georgetown game fixed? NC State-Houston?

Thorton is a true PG and would get increased minutes.

The difference is none of these guys make everyone else better and none of them are the playmakers Irving is.

He can score whenever he wants.

Yes Thornton is a true PG, but he is still not going to get many minutes. He was a solid but not top flight recruit. But yes, even if he did, he is not in Irving's league.

Archived