Can Duke Run The Table?

ShaneDawg85

Duke is scary good. They're off to an 8-0 start, and have already beaten two top 10 teams this season. They play good defense, and they've got a nice balance of senior leadership in Singler and Smith, and a youth and talent. It's a little early, but I have to ask the question: Can Duke run the table this regular season? They've already gotten over the three hardest teams on the schedule in K-State, Michigan State, and Butler, and they're no doubt going to be undefeated headed into ACC play starting January 2. Looking at the schedule, I think a case can be made that they can do it. I don't ever sell short conference games, especially in the ACC. But might Duke just run the table during the regular season?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duke is scary good. They're off to an 8-0 start, and have already beaten two top 10 teams this season. They play good defense, and they've got a nice balance of senior leadership in Singler and Smith, and a youth and talent. It's a little early, but I have to ask the question: Can Duke run the table this regular season? They've already gotten over the three hardest teams on the schedule in K-State, Michigan State, and Butler, and they're no doubt going to be undefeated headed into ACC play starting January 2. Looking at the schedule, I think a case can be made that they can do it. I don't ever sell short conference games, especially in the ACC. But might Duke just run the table during the regular season?

They could talent wise, but they won't. It's just too hard not to lose. Carolina's 2008-09 title team was sick on paper, but lost a few games along the way, though two games were without Lawson.

I'd be shocked. I don't think this team has more talent than either of the Carolina championship teams that won the title in the past 10 years (or the 2001 Duke team, for that matter) but they are certainly by far the best team this year.

They'll drop a road game or two in conference.

Highly, highly unlikely. However, they should still be undefeated a month from today, and by then a lot more people will be asking this question.

As I see it, Duke lacks depth inside, and a day is going to come when both Plumlee brothers get in early foul trouble against a team with a lot of inside strength. That is how they'll get beat, IMO.

That said, Mason Plumlee looks vastly improved this year, especially on the offensive end of the floor.

Highly, highly unlikely. However, they should still be undefeated a month from today, and by then a lot more people will be asking this question.

As I see it, Duke lacks depth inside, and a day is going to come when both Plumlee brothers get in early foul trouble against a team with a lot of inside strength. That is how they'll get beat, IMO.

That said, Mason Plumlee looks vastly improved this year, especially on the offensive end of the floor.

Singler may win POY, but he could be Duke's third best player.

I was too young to remember the team that lost to Pervis Ellison and Louisville. Is this team as good or is it better?

Singler may win POY, but he could be Duke's third best player.

I was too young to remember the team that lost to Pervis Ellison and Louisville. Is this team as good or is it better?[/QUOTE]

This team is better...That team had great guards (Dawkins & Amaker), but the frontcourt wasn't great. Mark Alarie and Jay Bilas were solid, if not spectacular.

This team is better...That team had great guards (Dawkins & Amaker), but the frontcourt wasn't great. Mark Alarie and Jay Bilas were solid, if not spectacular.

Alarie was pretty good -- second leading scorer on that team and he had a decent 5-year NBA career. Also, Danny Ferry was a freshman on that team and served as the 6th/7th man. It was a more seasoned team than this year's Duke squad, with 4 seniors and a junior (Amaker) in the starting lineup if I recall correctly. The current team probably is more talented.

Alarie was pretty good -- second leading scorer on that team and he had a decent 5-year NBA career. Also, Danny Ferry was a freshman on that team and served as the 6th/7th man. It was a more seasoned team than this year's Duke squad, with 4 seniors and a junior (Amaker) in the starting lineup if I recall correctly. The current team probably is more talented.

Alarie was good, and did have a solid NBA career, I agree. Dawkins was terrific, probably my favorite Duke player of all time (not saying much), but guys like David Henderson, Billy King, Jay Bilas, Quin Snyder...etc were nice pieces, but not NBA types..What was "great" about that Duke team was they grew up together from the '83 team that was awful into a title contender. Pretty admirable. Ferry was a damn good college player, but I couldn't stand him.

Irving, Singler, Plumlee, and maybe Curry will all play in the league, this team is superior.

Alarie was good, and did have a solid NBA career, I agree. Dawkins was terrific, probably my favorite Duke player of all time (not saying much), but guys like David Henderson, Billy King, Jay Bilas, Quin Snyder...etc were nice pieces, but not NBA types..What was "great" about that Duke team was they grew up together from the '83 team that was awful into a title contender. Pretty admirable. Ferry was a damn good college player, but I couldn't stand him.

Irving, Singler, Plumlee, and maybe Curry will all play in the league, this team is superior.

Surprise there is no mention of the 2001 Duke team yet. Jay Williams, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer etc. That team was loaded, and was the best Duke team in my lifetime.

Archived