Vlad about to fall in the O's lap?

wildcard

With the news that Beltre is about to sign with the Rangers, where is Vlad's market? Young moves over to DH and the Rangers probably will not resign Vlad.

The A's had been pursuing Vlad but they signed Matsui. Cust went to Seattle. The Angels have Abreu, Rivera and Napoli at DH.

Vlad signed for 1/6.5M last year. What if he is available for 1/5 or 1/6. Can the O's turn that down?

Vlad hit 29 HR and drove in 115 in 593 at bats last year. Some say that was just because he hit in Texas. And he did hit better at home. However if his away numbers are expanded to 593 at bats they calculate to 27 HR and 109 RBI. That is not exactly as huge drop off.

Could Vlad become too attractive for the O's to turn down? Is putting Vlad at DH, Scott in left and Pie as the 4th OF and Reimold at AAA waiting for a injury too crazy to actually happen?

What do you think?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there have mentions that Texas wants to trade M. Young, so that's still a possibility. Apparently they've also thought about Young at 1b, but it seems that they're ready to go with Moreland so that's less likely.

If Vlad is available for as low as 1/5 and 1/6, I'm sure there will be lots of teams besides the Orioles in on him.

And as for signing a DH, it's something I have argued against, because I think it's very important to look at Reimold/Pie this year. I'm really not sure it would be a good long-term move for the O's, regardless of the cost. That said, if we somehow wind up with Vlad, I'll probably be excited because he's always been one of my favorite players.

I'm on board with bringing in Vlad or Thome to DH.

I could still see Texas trading Young and then signing Vlad though. What about trading for Young? We did work out a trade last year with Texas. I'm sure it would take much more than a Chris Ray type this year though. :)

If the Orioles believed they were just one hitter away from legitimately contending, I'd be upset if they didn't jump all over Vlad. But we aren't anywhere near contending, and looking toward the future, I think it is more important for the Orioles to find out - this year - what they might have in Pie and Reimold.

Signing Lee made sense because we had no ready, long-term replacement in the system. Trading for someone like Sizemore or Quentin would make sense because they're relatively young, high-upside risks that've put up huge numbers previously (the youth factors in because they could theoretically stick around for a while if healthy). Someone like Vlad makes absolutely no sense unless you think he's the piece we need for a playoff run. He's only going to be able to DH, he pushes Scott to LF, and he blocks Pie/Reimold for a year for no future reason (i.e. he's likely a one-year contract guy...why block Pie/Reimold for someone who's not going to be part of the bigger (hopefully playoff) picture?).

Resounding no.

If Vlad is available for as low as 1/5 and 1/6, I'm sure there will be lots of teams besides the Orioles in on him.

I think you might be right here. The Rays and Jays have not been pursuing Vlad as far as I have seen but at that price, maybe they would.

Signing Lee made sense because we had no ready, long-term replacement in the system. Trading for someone like Sizemore or Quentin would make sense because they're relatively young, high-upside risks that've put up huge numbers previously (the youth factors in because they could theoretically stick around for a while if healthy). Someone like Vlad makes absolutely no sense unless you think he's the piece we need for a playoff run. He's only going to be able to DH, he pushes Scott to LF, and he blocks Pie/Reimold for a year for no future reason (i.e. he's likely a one-year contract guy...why block Pie/Reimold for someone who's not going to be part of the bigger (hopefully playoff) picture?).

Resounding no.

Well, when a team backs up talent in their system, there is a better chance of make a big trade. If Reimold goes to AAA and lights it up, then the O's will be a position to get something good for him or maybe at the deadline they trade Vlad.

Resounding no.

I agree with a lot of what you say here.

There are a few things to consider though:

1) Does signing Vlad make it easier for the Orioles to move Pie or Scott?

2) If you sign Vlad cheap enough, perhaps you can trade him at the deadline for something of value or maybe he ends up being worth a pick.

I don't think these things can be overlooked but overall, i agree with what you are saying.

If the Orioles believed they were just one hitter away from legitimately contending, I'd be upset if they didn't jump all over Vlad. But we aren't anywhere near contending, and looking toward the future, I think it is more important for the Orioles to find out - this year - what they might have in Pie and Reimold.

Winning more games doesn't make sense?

Actually if we are going to lose our first round pick, the better our record should be so it is as low as possible...

Right now this team on paper stands that we will indeed be one of the top 15 teams in baseball.

Reimold is 27, Pie is 26 - you know what you have in them already and if you don't, the evaluation skills of your scouts aren't very good.

Why hurt the team by playing Pie and Reimold when you can put a more established bat (Scott) in their place?

Actually if we are going to lose our first round pick, the better our record should be so it is as low as possible...

Right now this team on paper stands that we will indeed be one of the top 15 teams in baseball.

How many more wins does Vlad give us vs Pie/Reimold?

To add to that thought, as we have seen in this past off season, wining games could go a long way to convince Elite FA to sign here. That is what we WILL need to be a year in and year out contender. If signing Vlad would win more games this year and will help get the O's to be a respectable franchise again, and the worst thing that happens is that one of our young outfielders has to play in AAA for a season, I'm ok with that.

I agree and if that's the case, then it might be 1/8-10 for the Orioles, at which point I start to lose interest now that Lee is on board. At this stage, I would rather see the bulk of whatever money remains shoveled into the kitty for pitching seeing how I'm not completely convinced AM has forsaken his cheapskate ways.

You know what? I keep reading this perfectly reasonable position trying to convince myself that I believe it, but I don't. What I really want is to sign Vlad to go with the rest of our revamped lineup so we can light up a weak Yankee pitching staff and wipe the smiles off a few more Red Sox fans at 'Fenway South'.

How many more wins does Vlad give us vs Pie/Reimold?

Likely 1-2 wins more.

Once you get above .500 those 1-2 wins start making a bigger difference

If the core takes a big leap forward, those 1-2 wins could mean the difference between playoffs or not.

I agree with a lot of what you say here.

There are a few things to consider though:

1) Does signing Vlad make it easier for the Orioles to move Pie or Scott?

2) If you sign Vlad cheap enough, perhaps you can trade him at the deadline for something of value or maybe he ends up being worth a pick.

I don't think these things can be overlooked but overall, i agree with what you are saying.

True...I'd think moving Pie/Scott would be easier, though I still don't have a very good idea of what they'd actually garner in a trade. Also, tying in what wildcard said...I'd think Reimold can't build much value playing in the minors at this point. IMO, he needs to produce in the majors to significantly boost his value.

I hadn't thought of Vlad potentially being worth a pick, btw.

Archived