Vlad about to fall in the O's lap?

wildcard

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has a career .386 OBP.

That's good for 16th best among all active players. He also has a career OPS of .954. Vlad gets on base. He also has about 8.1 at-bats per strikeout, which puts him 20th best among all active players. In other words, there are at least 10 - but likely more - MLB teams that have ZERO players who get on-base at a better clip.

I wouldn't be over concerned, as long as we have solid representation from the left side when we needed it: Roberts, Wieters, Scott, Pie, etc.

I hate to even say this... but Hardy will need a day off now and then, and Izzy a few starts. Would probably be against a tough rightie.

Is Thome a full time player though? Why did he have less than 300ABs last year?

He started the year as a part time player but was later put in more full time duty due to injuries. That's why he only signed a 1.5 mil last year, he was meant to be a bench player. He got more ABs as the year went on because of injuries and he was mashing.

I hate to even say this... but Hardy will need a day off now and then, and Izzy a few starts. Would probably be against a tough rightie.

Gulp. Oh yeah! Awesome... :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, that's cool. And good point. I forgot about ol' Izzy lurking there on the bench. He'll be a nice bench player.

That's good for 16th best among all active players. He also has a career OPS of .954. Vlad gets on base. He also has about 8.1 at-bats per strikeout, which puts him 20th best among all active players. In other words, there are at least 10 - but likely more - MLB teams that have ZERO players who get on-base at a better clip.

The guy has got on base plenty in his career, I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying he hasn't gotten on base at great clips LATELY.

Still beats Nolan and Felix...

Pie: 2009 326

2010 305

Reimold: 2009 365

2010 282

I hear you on this, but on purely emotional basis, I have a real hard time giving up (even for just this year ) on a guy that hit his first home run off of Mariano Rivera. He has to have enormous potential.

I hear you on this, but on purely emotional basis, I have a real hard time giving up (even for just this year ) on a guy that hit his first home run off of Mariano Rivera. He has to have enormous potential.

Let's bring up Josh Bell then too! :laughlol:

The guy has got on base plenty in his career, I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying he hasn't gotten on base at great clips LATELY.

Ah. Okay. Well, I don't find that very compelling, but that's why God made opinions. But to say he "got onbase plenty" kinda cracks me up. It's like saying "Willie Mays got onbase plenty." He's a friggin' lock for first-ballot HOF in my opinion, and he's 35, not 40. Really, I'd be pleased with him, and only slightly less pleased with Thome. Either would make 2011 a much more interesting year, and after all this losing, that would be a tremendous step up. So depressing to be thinking about the offseason BEFORE the All-Star break.

Career numbers and what he has done lately are 2 things... for the last 3 years, a .350 OBP.

Agreed. His .345 OBP last season would have been third on our team last year.

He would still be a valuable pick up for this season and maybe one more. I wouldn't expect him to have a .380 OBP again, but I would certainly expect .335 - .345 while driving in a ton of runs.

Ah. Okay. Well, I don't find that very compelling, but that's why God made opinions. But to say he "got onbase plenty" kinda cracks me up. It's like saying "Willie Mays got onbase plenty." He's a friggin' lock for first-ballot HOF in my opinion, and he's 35, not 40. Really, I'd be pleased with him, and only slightly less pleased with Thome. Either would make 2011 a much more interesting year, and after all this losing, that would be a tremendous step up. So depressing to be thinking about the offseason BEFORE the All-Star break.

I'm not in any way denying the guy has been a great player. I'm saying if we are going the route of signing an aging DH I would rather the guy coming off of .366 and .412 OBPs to go along with .847 and 1.039 OPS instead of the guy coming off of .334/.345 and .794/.841 respectively.

How in the world can you base what a 15 year player is going to do based on his career numbers? He had a BAVG of .300 last year with an OBP of .345. Well, to me that is not very good. So I don't see this great get on base machine. The last 3 years he has had a .300 BAVG and a .350 OBP. Again no great get on base machine... throw out those career numbers as they need not apply to a 35 year old that has played in the league for 15 years.

#P/PA

2010 - 3.17

2009 - 3.27

2008 - 3.37

I see a pattern here...

Archived