Vlad about to fall in the O's lap?

wildcard

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably in the minority but I would like to see the Orioles go after Thome for an incentive based one year deal. I know Luke is the DH but I think Thome brings a lot to the Orioles in terms of professionalism, approach to hitting, and leadership. Plus he could give Lee a break every once in a while at first.

Vlad is a great player too but he refuses to speak English to this day and I'm not sure how well he gets along with other players in the clubhouse.

Don't care. Do not walk, run to the nearest exit. Agree with those who have major "washed up" concerns about Vlad. And, he's a major injury risk every time he swings the bat. No thanks.

Well, I'm just as concerned about Lee. I guess he can play defense at least, barring injury.

I'm probably in the minority but I would like to see the Orioles go after Thome for an incentive based one year deal. I know Luke is the DH but I think Thome brings a lot to the Orioles in terms of professionalism, approach to hitting, and leadership. Plus he could give Lee a break every once in a while at first.

Vlad is a great player too but he refuses to speak English to this day and I'm not sure how well he gets along with other players in the clubhouse.

I'd be for Thome IF we get a DH (I don't really want one) but the bolded is wrong. He's played 4 games at 1B since 2005.

Don't care. Do not walk, run to the nearest exit. Agree with those who have major "washed up" concerns about Vlad. And, he's a major injury risk every time he swings the bat. No thanks.

I pointed out these same red flags about seeming old, hitting poorly outside of Arlington, having a mediocre second half, injury-prone, etc., when Vlad's name first came up But let's not pretend the guy has no upside for 2011, either. Would it really shock anyone if he had an .850+ OPS and 100 RBI in 2011 wherever he winds up?

I'd say the odds that Vlad outproduces Reimold in 2011 are 75%. So, if you don't want Vlad over Reimold, it has to be either because (1) he's too expensive, or (2) you are looking beyond 2011 and want to give Reimold some breathing room.

That was back when he could go wherever he wanted. That no longer is the case. Understatement.

Right, beggers can't be choosers.

Roch said that we won't sign a DH however unless Luke Scott is dealt.

I just don't get MacPhail's love affair with Felix Pie and why he's willing to make the team worse just to get him playing time.

Right, beggers can't be choosers.

Roch said that we won't sign a DH however unless Luke Scott is dealt.

I just don't get MacPhail's love affair with Felix Pie and why he's willing to make the team worse just to get him playing time.

Because you need a 4th OF capable of playing CF. And the guy still has some upside, even though he took a half-step backwards last year.

Is he really? Over the past five years, he's had 600-plus plate appearances every year, including last year, except for 2009, when he had 400-plus. He seems very sturdy to me, especially so at DH.

These same "washed up" concerns were all over the OH last year. After reading them for a month or so, I then went on to watch him sign with Texas... be named to the All-Star team... earn the Silver Slugger award... and pocket double-digit MVP votes. It was also interesting to watch him anchor the Rangers' lineup in the World Series, and finish 9th in the league in homers and total bases, and 5th in at-bats per strikeout.

I agree he's past his prime (anyone over 30 probably is, physically). But he'd be a great addition to the line-up IMO.

Archived