Manny Machado expected to have surgery on knee within a week.

Greg

Forgive me but either you are disingenuous or self deceived IMO.

"Our original approach was to have him rest and then to try to play and then see if he could play ball. We also knew there was a chance of a recurrence. Given this injury and the time of the season, we thought that we would rest it and try to recover and come back and play for the rest of the year. But Manny didn't feel that was the best option."

Dan Duquette

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but risking your career to help your team get to and win in the playoffs is a fool's bet. We're all upset that Manny got hurt, just like I'm sure Pacers fans are upset that Paul George got hurt. It happens. But Manny should take care of himself. He has a lot more at stake than the O's do.

I'm sorry, but risking your career to help your team get to and win in the playoffs is a fool's bet. We're all upset that Manny got hurt, just like I'm sure Pacers fans are upset that Paul George got hurt. It happens. But Manny should take care of himself. He has a lot more at stake than the O's do.

I'm more of an Orioles fan than a Manny fan. In fact, when he is no longer an Oriole, I doubt I'll even care. We are not talking about something life threatening here. We are talking about a knee, that may be better off not being cut.

Like I said. Wrap it nice and tight for a while. See how it goes.

"From the get-go, we knew it was partially torn, so [surgery] was in the back of my mind," said Machado, who had an MRI the next day. "Obviously, with the position we're in now, you don't want to hear about surgery. You want to try to get back out there on the field and be back with the team and help the team get to the playoffs and continue with my season, but it's been a couple weeks now, and the pain hasn't gotten any better, so I think it was just the best decision to get it done now rather than later and wait like we did last year. I think it got to the point where I just had to make a decision."

Machado, who is still waiting to hear on an exact surgery date, will undergo the procedure in Los Angeles, and it will be performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache, who performed his left knee surgery in 2013. The recovery timetable is expected to be about the same -- 4-6 months. The only difference between this year's injury and what he did in September is that the ligament was ruptured in that case.

"The hope was because it was [a] partial [tear on the right side], that it wasn't as severe. The hope was that it would scar down, and we'd be able to get [Machado] back and see how it we went," head athletic trainer Richie Bancells said. "That, in combination with Dr. ElAttrache had always mentioned there was a risk, just given the way that Manny is structured physically, predisposes him to that kind of injury. There was always that risk.

"Dr. ElAttrache told me that we don't know if that risk is next week, next month, next year, two years, you don't know. It was inevitable. The combination of the risk factor, along with Manny didn't feel like it was coming along like he hoped right now, and he had a conversation with Dr. ElAttrache that he decided to go ahead and have the surgery."

Machado said one of the reasons he has sustained these injuries is that he has abnormal knees. With the surgeries, he wants to take care of the issue for good, so it won't be an issue later in his career.

"Obviously, it's August already and if we keep waiting, its just going to make it worse and we're not going to be ready for Spring Training next year," said Machado, who missed the first month of the season this year rehabbing. "I think that's a big part."

Machado, who has traveled with the team while he tried to recover from the latest injury, said his knee hasn't felt any better in the 11 days since the incident occurred. Could he have waited a little bit longer and given the rehab route more time?

"I could have waited," Machado said. "It's been 11 days, 12 days now, and not one little sign of it getting better. So, why keep waiting and lose time for next year? Obviously, we're thinking about this year and not next year, but at the same time, it wasn't getting any better. There wasn't anything we could do. The only thing was going in there and fixing it. It's just something that it wasn't getting any better at all."

Read this. Machado and his doctor certainly think the surgery will make it less likely of sustaining such an injury again. If you want to call that "improving knees" or not, is your prerogative.

Nice article. Good info.

Valid points all around made by weams and can, and others.

I can see this is pretty murky.

In the end, it's always going to be Manny's call even though he will get input from lots of educated, uneducated, concerned, motivated, agenda-driven view points. He's got to navigate that.

I believe that Machado probably feels as if he needs to be 100% to be his ideal self. From the quotes and sound bites, he is only really comfortable when health/pain is not top of mind. Too soon to question his toughness compared to other players (right or wrong as that is, it will happen) and it remains to be seen whether he'll be the type of guy who can contribute to the team when suffering a far more minor ailment compared to this.

The whole genetic flaw argument is a special case, so that takes the conversation to a new arena... I guess. Even though I totally am seeing Weams' argument too.

Dunno man. In a quantum universe, that victory thread was never made and I am watching ballgames with xray goggles on.

Os need to win, and now is the time Ubaldo and Davis need to turn it on. They are the x-factors I'm looking toward even though it will likely be someone different to step forward into that role (just would be nicer story if Steve Pearce could get a rest from that pedistal).

Read this. Machado and his doctor certainly think the surgery will make it less likely of sustaining such an injury again. If you want to call that "improving knees" or not, is your prerogative.

Good call. So he will be all better. Ha.

You are making an awful lot of sense to me.

MAN! Wish this didn't happen.

Manny obviously has a very specific agenda. As he did this spring when his contract was renewed after surgery. And his attitude towards ARod. Interesting kid. Glad we got to see some more of his other side this year so we are not colored completely by Orange glasses with him.

Manny obviously has a very specific agenda. As he did this spring when his contract was renewed after surgery. And his attitude towards ARod. Interesting kid. Glad we got to see some more of his other side this year so we are not colored completely by Orange glasses with him.

Sadly, I think this is true too, and not in the way kids view their baseball idols (Os fans/Manny fans, not Manny to ARod). I'm tempted to start a time capsule thread that people are free to write their musings down, "without judgment", only to be opened 10 years from now.

IF I did that, I'd probably write my sneaking suspicion that we are not looking at a potential oriole for life, but rather a pro who may be getting influenced by people seeing an opportunity to cash in on blending man with brand, and that may spell bad news for the home team.

This time capsule thread would allow us all to read those old posts and chuckle, because they seemed so real at the time but couldn't have been farther from the way things actually happened. Then we'd bury it again and plant a tree on top.

Sadly, I think this is true too, and not in the way kids view their baseball idols (Os fans/Manny fans, not Manny to ARod). I'm tempted to start a time capsule thread that people are free to write their musings down, "without judgment", only to be opened 10 years from now.

IF I did that, I'd probably write my sneaking suspicion that we are not looking at a potential oriole for life, but rather a pro who may be getting influenced by people seeing an opportunity to cash in on blending man with brand, and that may spell bad news for the home team.

This time capsule thread would allow us all to read those old posts and chuckle, because they seemed so real at the time but couldn't have been farther from the way things actually happened. Then we'd bury it again and plant a tree on top.

Good thing that he was never our short stop of the future.

So, they have a specific name for this "genetic" flaw? Is it something that only impairs baseball players? Did they ever treat it on House? I want to know.

Yes but House's first diagnosis was completely wrong and nearly killed the patient. Then he figured it out brilliantly on his second guess.

Pretty sure I saw that episode. It was on right after the episode of Threes Company where someone misinterpreted something and there was this really big misunderstanding but everything turned out happy in the end.

Archived