Manny Machado expected to have surgery on knee within a week.

Greg

They've played exactly the same way all year, and it's left them in first place. I'd sure love to see them figure out the OBP side of offensive production, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Hell, the Nationals start four players who would lead the O's in OBP, and their worst OBP (position) player is Ian Desmond at .306. The O's frequently start 3-4 players with OBPs below .300.

If the O's make it to the postseason, it'll be on the strength of the HR, defense, and pitching. Same story that's been running all season.

I'm not talking about simply OBP. I am talking about small ball. The ability to put the ball in play, move runners and get them in. When involved in a pitcher's duel, as we were today and would be if we were to make the playoffs, those are the skills we need to score. This is particularly true considering how infrequently we even get on base. Today just making contact seemed to be beyond most..

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not talking about simply OBP. I am talking about small ball. The ability to put the ball in play, move runners and get them in. When involved in a pitcher's duel, as we were today and would be if we were to make the playoffs, those are the skills we need to score. This is particularly true considering how infrequently we even get on base. Today just making contact seemed to be beyond most..

The O's haven't done that all year. I just don't think they're going to start now. They win/lose games exactly the same way, and that's probably how it will be until the roster changes significantly.

The O's haven't done that all year. I just don't think they're going to start now. They win/lose games exactly the same way, and that's probably how it will be until the roster changes significantly.
If they don't change they'll be lucky to get past TB let alone making the playoffs.

The way they looked today, Manny no Manny no big deal. They're toast, unless they figure out how to get on base, move runners, and knock them in. All they seem to do is hit an occasional HR. Losing Manny is the least of our problems IMO.

So you suggest that even with a Manny caliber third baseman, we would still lose?

So you suggest that even with a Manny caliber third baseman, we would still lose?
If they don't do something about Davis, Schoop, and the catchers. And don't start resting Jones, Cruz, and Markakis. They all looked tired to me. Hardy too. I remember they started getting gassed about this time last year. I have confidence in the SP and the pen but not the offense. Too one dimensional and it is starting to catch up to them.

If they don't do something about Davis, Schoop, and the catchers. And don't start resting Jones, Cruz, and Markakis. They all looked tired to me. Hardy too. I remember they started getting gassed about this time last year. I have confidence in the SP and the pen but not the offense. Too one dimensional and it is starting to catch up to them.

Buck doesn't do days off.

You want an extra off day? Get hurt or suspended.

I just don't understand how people still expect this guy to come out of it... he's gotten consistently worse with each passing month. His OBP in August is .197.

Too much fun to be had in Chicago with a day off sandwiched in the middle.

Guessing they are on a food hangover and need some Brady kale to get situated again.

The loss of Manny hurts a lot more than the loss of Wieters. There wasn't much drop off from Wieters to Joseph defensively and the O's could handle the the drop off in offense. The loss of Manny has hurt 3B, LF and DH. Thats a third of the team playing out of their best spots.

The loss of Manny hurts a lot more than the loss of Wieters. There wasn't much drop off from Wieters to Joseph defensively and the O's could handle the the drop off in offense. The loss of Manny has hurt 3B, LF and DH. Thats a third of the team playing out of their best spots.

Now that we have use of the DH again, I'd like to see Buck put a better defensive team on the field, with Flaherty at 3B, Pearce in LF, Davis at 1B, and Cruz at DH. If we weaken the defense too much for too long, the pitching will suffer.

Now that we have use of the DH again, I'd like to see Buck put a better defensive team on the field, with Flaherty at 3B, Pearce in LF, Davis at 1B, and Cruz at DH. If we weaken the defense too much for too long, the pitching will suffer.

With Delmon very much slowing down, I think this is quite likely. Buck was playing his hot bat for awhile, but it has cooled.

I don't think people were saying that when we brought up Joseph who was known as a bat first guy in the minors and then he started his major league career with hitting near .100 for the first few weeks.

As much as Flaherty has stuggled I still believe our best option is to play him at thrid but Davis at first and Pearce and Cruz play left and Dh with Young getting starts here and there and PH.

With Delmon very much slowing down, I think this is quite likely. Buck was playing his hot bat for awhile, but it has cooled.

Delmon has started to heat back up and is over .300 his last 7 games. Though I do think he helps this team more as a PH.

Archived