Underrated and Overrated player on OH

Sports Guy

What a great question...and what a hard one to answer. Just by giving an answer, you move the needle a little bit. And the whole question of value is a great one. Are we talking overrated compared to a national consensus, or overrated compared to said player's true talent?

I'd say, in general, our veterans (Guthrie, Scott) are underrated. Chris Tillman is underrated. Adam Jones and Markakis are both frequently over- and under-rated. Our bullpen arms are frequently overrated, as are our fringe pitching prospects. Felix Pie is rated all over the place so I have no idea what to call him. Reynolds might be a touch overrated at this point. Buck Showalter is WAY overrated - can't believe I forgot him. Not kidding.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Underrated - Mike Gonzalez. Horrible start to the last season, getting booed in the home opener, then being hurt. But he came back and was pretty good at the end of the year. I don't think he'll be the closer this year, but I think he'll be a really good arm out of the bullpen that can provide a 2.50ish ERA, get a bunch of strikeouts and be a good presence in the 6th, 7th or 8th inning.

Overrated - I'll say Matusz. Very few detractors on Matusz, most think that he can be a legit 1/2 type of guy. I think he can be like most others, but I think we believe he'll be a TOR because of how much we want him to a TOR.

I think a lot of the guys that have been mentioned have become fairly rated in the past year. I think we learned a lot this past season. I think expectations have come down to more realistic expectations on guys like Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Bell, and Reimold, while we now view guys like Luke Scott and Pie more favorably as we should.

Overrated: Pie

Underrated: Jones

This would have been my vote as well. People seem delighted to pay Reynolds more than Jones. I don't quite get that, considering how much more consistent Jones seems to be. A CF hitting 19 homers a year, and batting in the high .200s, with some speed. I'll take that every time.

Scott would have been my next close choice on underrated at this point. And I have been guilty of underratign him in the past myself, but his numbers this past year were just damn impressive.

I think Sangar made a great selection, and I'm going to go with Buck as well. I know he's not a player, but I'm still going to go with him. Buck has had a successful managing career to this point. But, when I think of the great managers in the game, Buck is not, and never has been a name that comes to mind. The turnaround last season was remarkable, but lets see what happens going forward, and more importantly, if the Orioles do make the turnaround lets see Buck take it all the way, something that he has never done.

For the record, my second choice would be Jones.

/FTW

Love Nick, but he's not an elite player. BB is our best SP at the moment.

:eek:

What?!?!?!?

As for the question, I can't really answer it as I do not think the board thinks as one on anything. We are a large community with differences in opinion abound. Some overrate a number of players while underrating others. It depends on whose opinion we are talking about because I would have great difficulty labeling the entire board with a singular opinion.

Ok...I've given this a lot of thought.

Underrated: Chris Tillman

His command is improving, he's still very young, and I saw huge improvements in pitch selection at the end of the year.

Overrated: Zach Britton

For a guy that has had trouble with his command and pitch efficiency, people seem to expect a lot out of him...almost instantly.

Archived