O's sign duchscherer

Guest Hayden2004

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess the only way Tillman makes the team is long relief?

Not true.

I doubt there is any guarantee to Duscherer of a rotation spot.

Right now, this is how I would assume things look:

Rotation:

Guthrie, Matusz, BB and Arrieta

Pen:

Gonzo, Koji, Gregg, Berken, Accardo, JJ

Now, the Orioles will invite a few relievers to ST on MiL contracts and you have VDH as well.

So, the way I see it is that VDH, a lefty reliever(Rapada, Hendrickson?), Duscherer and Tillman will fight for the final 2 spots.

If Duscherer makes the rotation, then Tillman goes to AAA. If Tillman makes the rotation, Duscherer goes to the pen and we only carry one lefty...VDH to the minors(which is probably the most likely destination for him anyway because if Duscherer makes the rotation, I think they go with another lefty and out VDH in the AAA rotation).

The other thing that can obviously throw this off will be health, especially to guys like Accardo and Berken...and of course, Duscherer himself.

He's made 5 starts in the last two years. Was a full-time starter in '08 and a setup guy for most of ML playing time before that. I have no doubt he was promised the opportunity to earn a spot in the starting rotation. And, if he pitches up to his ability, I'd expect him to do exactly that. But, it's not a bad thing to light a fire under Tillman and Britton. One of them might surprise and Duke is still coming off a major injury.

Love the signing, but he should have to win whatever job he gets. And, the fact that he has to make the 25 man roster to get most ofhis money means that he hasn't been guaranteed anything. I especially love that aspect of it.

As the contract reads he gets like .75 mil no matter what, and 1.1 more if he makes the team. Then the rest of the 4.5 is if he does decent. SO... He was given a chance to compete but wasn't handed anything yet. He still has to make the team.

I would imagine this would probably squash the possibility of Millwood coming back, assuming he had any interest in being brought back and there was a legitimate interest on the Orioles side.
If Duke (thanks Moose) makes the starting rotation I'm not sure Tillman is the odd man out. Showalter has stressed the need for competition so I would think the final two spots will go the the best of Bergy, Arrieta or Tillman.

As the contract reads he gets like .75 mil no matter what, and 1.1 more if he makes the team. Then the rest of the 4.5 is if he does decent. SO... He was given a chance to compete but wasn't handed anything yet. He still has to make the team.

No..The contract will go up to 1.1 if he makes the team.

He is guaranteed to make 700K no matter what.

The Orioles have watched him throw..You have to wonder if they would even be willing to flush 700K down the toilet if they didn't feel he was ready to help the team in some capacity out of ST. So, assuming health, I would have to think he will make the team and get the 1.1 million.

What role he has is TBD.

Seems like there is big upside to this signing if JD has any of the stuff he's had previously. Nice contract.

Hopefully, we can get this guy to the bp as early in the season as possible - remember when we gave Baez an opportunity to start in ST. This might be more of the same in that regard.

Not true.

I doubt there is any guarantee to Duscherer of a rotation spot.

Right now, this is how I would assume things look:

Rotation:

Guthrie, Matusz, BB and Arrieta

Pen:

Gonzo, Koji, Gregg, Berken, Accardo, JJ

Now, the Orioles will invite a few relievers to ST on MiL contracts and you have VDH as well.

So, the way I see it is that VDH, a lefty reliever(Rapada, Hendrickson?), Duscherer and Tillman will fight for the final 2 spots.

If Duscherer makes the rotation, then Tillman goes to AAA. If Tillman makes the rotation, Duscherer goes to the pen and we only carry one lefty...VDH to the minors(which is probably the most likely destination for him anyway because if Duscherer makes the rotation, I think they go with another lefty and out VDH in the AAA rotation).The other thing that can obviously throw this off will be health, especially to guys like Accardo and Berken...and of course, Duscherer himself.

Isnt Vanderhurk out of options? If so, maybe a trade of him instead?

Archived