Keith Law hating on the Orioles big time.

DuffMan

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The issue isn't that people disagree with him. The issue I have is how he is getting slammed by some.

If you think Law is some hack and has no knowledge, I am fine with that.

But if link to his stuff about him liking our young pitching and saying how good it is to hear someone like Law pumping up our players, then you can't think he is some hack.

Essentially, you like him and his knowledge if he says good stuff but have no respect for him if he says bad stuff. That's hypocritical.

Is anyone actually doing this? Are you sure the people who were singing Law's praises earlier are now the same ones bashing him?

Also, you're picking out one or two isolated comments in a thread that's mostly been filled with people intelligently debating the merits of Law's points. Yet you're making the gross generalization that "the board" is hypocritical and predictable.

Absolutely. Manny might have been cheaper, but who thinks that situation is going turn out good? Add in the fat that the guy gave nothing, and I mean nothing to the White Sox after being acquired during a pennant race and I think his chances of rebounding are a lot smaller than some might think.

Imagine what Law would have said if we had signed Manny and Damon? The Rays apparently get a pass. It's a double standard if you ask me.

Do you really think the media has a double standard when it comes to the O's, or is it more likely that you view the team you root for more favorably than the average fan/analyst?

I haven't seen many guys praising the Rays pickups, but even if they are it's because of the situational differences, not because of the players. The Rays clearly ARE in a place to contend, and adding depth and talent at the possible risk of blocking youth is not a bad idea.

Is anyone actually doing this? Are you sure the people who were singing Law's praises earlier are now the same ones bashing him?

Also, you're picking out one or two isolated comments in a thread that's mostly been filled with people intelligently debating the merits of Law's points. Yet you're making the gross generalization that "the board" is hypocritical and predictable.

And the one guy SG is quoting is the one who asked if PECOTA's projections were "true or false". :P

I think the Vlad signing is the one that most of these guys have issue with.

Whether you want to believe in Pie and/or Reimold is on you. However, it is naive to deny that the talent is there and the possibility of them being long term options is there.

That doesn't mean it will happen..It just means it is possible.

So, because of that possibility, these writers feel those guys should have the at bats...Personally, i think they are correct.

While there is some long term upside with Vlad, a lot of that upside is very limited and there is a much better chance of this move not helping us long term.

The Gregg signing was just poor...A horrible use of money. HOWEVER, as poor as that signing was, its not like we have some more DH's in the immediate future to come up and be in the pen. So, as long as the Gregg signing doesn't prevent us from doing anything else, its probably relatively harmless in terms of blocking anyone.

I don't see how you can even question the Lee, Hardy and Reynolds moves. I mean, you do have to try and put a good product out there and if you do that without blocking anyone, that's even better...The Orioles aren't blocking anyone.

If Bell shows he is ready to be a star, he will get time up here...There is no doubt about that.

But I still think it comes back to the Vlad deal. The salary was too much, it blocked 2 potential long term options and he appears to be breaking down physically. So, you can question that signing.

I think if Vlad had not been signed and Pie and Reimold were going to be out there, that the "outrage" wouldn't really exist from guys like Law.

I really hate to sound like Trea here, but I think we have a pretty good approximation of what we can expect from Pie and Reimold.

Now, I think Pie and Nolan are still longterm options at LF and DH, but I don't think we are losing anything by bringing in Vlad. Neither of Reimold nor Pie did anything to warrant a free ticket to the starting lineup.

You can make the argument that Nolan needs to prove he is back to form and it will be easier for him to do it in a less demanding environment in Norfolk.

I really hate to sound like Trea here, but I think we have a pretty good approximation of what we can expect from Pie and Reimold.

Now, I think Pie and Nolan are still longterm options at LF and DH, but I don't think we are losing anything by bringing in Vlad. Neither of Reimold nor Pie did anything to warrant a free ticket to the starting lineup.

You can make the argument that Nolan needs to prove he is back to form and it will be easier for him to do it in a less demanding environment in Norfolk.

I disagree, but you may be right. My question is, wouldn't it be worth it to lose a couple more games this year to be sure?

And this is why I said I don't think we are hurt long term by signing Vlad(unelss the amateur issues come up). I have no issue with these guys proving they are healthy, etc...

I think they will still find a way to get a good number of at bats this year and if they don't, that means they are sucking or the Orioles are healthy and winning.

I personally would prefer to see it handed to them and not have Vlad here but I also recognize the potential upside(even if it is limited) to having Vlad around.

Do you really think the media has a double standard when it comes to the O's, or is it more likely that you view the team you root for more favorably than the average fan/analyst?

I haven't seen many guys praising the Rays pickups, but even if they are it's because of the situational differences, not because of the players. The Rays clearly ARE in a place to contend, and adding depth and talent at the possible risk of blocking youth is not a bad idea.

The double standard is if you make moves that have risk, and you haven't ever shown that your risky moves have payed off, then your judgement will always be questioned. The Rays have been to the WS lately and in the playoffs often. How can anyone critique their moves when they've shown they are winners. If the Rays were still the dog of the east instead of us, they'd be getting slammed likewise.

We all want additional investment in the US draft and internationally, but most of those investments won't pay off for two to five years. And who is to say our FO will not make the appropriate investments here right now? AM has steadily increased our international spend and has repeatedly claimed our US draft spend is among the highest in the industry. I do not believe AM is going to abandon the trends here.

Besides, are we to cede the high ground to the other AL BEasts every year and not make efforts to compete while we are getting quality, cheap contributions from Matusz, Jones, Wieters, Bergesen, Arrieta and hopefully soon Britton and Tillman?

It's high time our FO put the best foot forward for the major league team as we did this offseason. The fans and players have not been this jazzed in possibly a decade. We'll have to see if the extra $ spent is returned to the club via increased attendance and better MASN ratings. Reimold should be starting the year in AAA anyway.

In the mean time, AM has planted several "investments" that could pay off in trade at mid-season like Lee, Dusch or Vlad.

Law looks at Reynolds and sees 200 Ks

Olney looks at Reynolds and sees 40 homeruns.

I see 200 strikeouts and 30+ homers. But honestly, who cares about the strikeouts? Tell me something relevant, like his OBP. If his OBP is below .330 (which is quite possible), I will be somewhat disappointed. If it is below .320, then this acquisition starts to look pretty bad. FWIW, his career OBP is .334 and he's had two seasons at exactly .320 and two at .349.

Perhaps a little of both? ;)

Meh, sometimes I get the feeling that the big media types basically like to be wedded to their storylines.

The Yankees are monsters and a fantastic org (hence all their prospects tend to be overrated in my mind)

The Rays are a well-run, finely tuned machine that has the best mind in baseball running it (Basically they are the new A's since Moneyball hasn't gotten Billy into the playoffs recently)

They Jays are, well there. (No cares aboot Canada)

The Red Sox are the perpetual underdogs (even though they have been spending like the Yankees for years now)

The Orioles are a poorly-run organization that does more harm to itself than any other org in baseball (therefore every move gets a little more negative scrutiny)

Is this purely imagination? Most likely yes. But I think it is hard to watch/ read all of this stuff sometimes and wonder if some people in the media aren't just a bit married to their usual storylines.

The Orioles are supposed to be bad, so anytime the team actually does something there is a reaction of: Why are they bothering, they can't win that's stupid - them trying to get good players?! Ridiculous! They suck!

The double standard is if you make moves that have risk, and you haven't ever shown that your risky moves have payed off, then your judgement will always be questioned. The Rays have been to the WS lately and in the playoffs often. How can anyone critique their moves when they've shown they are winners. If the Rays were still the dog of the east instead of us, they'd be getting slammed likewise.

I'm not sure this is true, considering how many moves of the perennial winners critiqued in the media. Hell, I've seen most of the media give us praise this year for most of our moves. It's possible that this occasionally happens, I just think this is a terrible comparison since the reason he's giving is that we shouldn't have signed Vlad because we aren't going to contend. Trying to apply that logic to moves made by contenders is apples to oranges.

Archived