Keith Law hating on the Orioles big time.

DuffMan

The issue isn't that people disagree with him. The issue I have is how he is getting slammed by some.

If you think Law is some hack and has no knowledge, I am fine with that.

But if link to his stuff about him liking our young pitching and saying how good it is to hear someone like Law pumping up our players, then you can't think he is some hack.

Essentially, you like him and his knowledge if he says good stuff but have no respect for him if he says bad stuff. That's hypocritical.

Personally, I think his Reynolds stuff is wacky. I think SayO was 100% correct in his assessment of Law and how he probably used to view Reynolds.

But just because I disagree with him doesn't mean I think he is some guy that has no knowledge or anything like that.

I respect what he has to say and I think he is largely correct. I think we are the 4th best team in the division with the chance to be better or worse than that but I think its wrong to say we are clearly the worst.

I also think he is way off about Reynolds.

Disagreeing is fine...Taking it to the next step like some have isn't fine.

You disagree with people all the time there is nothing wrong with that.

I think it comes with the territory of being an opinionated writer. Some folks will not value that persons opinion and some will.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this is why I said I don't think we are hurt long term by signing Vlad(unelss the amateur issues come up). I have no issue with these guys proving they are healthy, etc...

I think they will still find a way to get a good number of at bats this year and if they don't, that means they are sucking or the Orioles are healthy and winning.

I personally would prefer to see it handed to them and not have Vlad here but I also recognize the potential upside(even if it is limited) to having Vlad around.

You're absolutely right. No one is really being blocked here. and if Vlad completely sucks and Nolan is tearing the cover off the ball - well AM ate more money cutting Gibbons in a similar situation.

Your absolutely right. No one is really being blocked here. and if Vlad completely sucks and Nolan is tearing the cover off the ball - well AM ate more money cutting Gibbons in a similar situation.

Yeah, this is the point that I dont get. Why should Reimold be just given a spot. Didn't we do that last year. The guy needs to go to AAA and beat the crap out of the ball. And don't get me wrong, I am a Reimold fan, I think he could be a good MLBer.

Proof this organization has moved forward... The O's are taking heat over 1 year contracts paid to aging veterans as opposed to Multi-year contracts to aging veterans.

Meh, sometimes I get the feeling that the big media types basically like to be wedded to their storylines.

The Yankees are monsters and a fantastic org (hence all their prospects tend to be overrated in my mind)

The Rays are a well-run, finely tuned machine that has the best mind in baseball running it (Basically they are the new A's since Moneyball hasn't gotten Billy into the playoffs recently)

They Jays are, well there. (No cares aboot Canada)

The Red Sox are the perpetual underdogs (even though they have been spending like the Yankees for years now)

The Orioles are a poorly-run organization that does more harm to itself than any other org in baseball (therefore every move gets a little more negative scrutiny)

Is this purely imagination? Most likely yes. But I think it is hard to watch/ read all of this stuff sometimes and wonder if some people in the media aren't just a bit married to their usual storylines.

The Orioles are supposed to be bad, so anytime the team actually does something there is a reaction of: Why are they bothering, they can't win that's stupid - them trying to get good players?! Ridiculous! They suck!

Thanks for the reasonable response. I think this is probably easier to judge when you divorce yourself from your team. Do I feel the mainstrream media is too hard on the Pirates? or the Royals?

I think besides the people that shouldn't be taken seriously at all (think Tim McCarver) there is probably little of the above behavior. Maybe I've just divorced myself from it by cutting out writers and analysts from my life that don't respect and use so called "advanced" stats.

I think, much like the "he doesn't want to play in Baltimore", this is a widely overrated phenomenon.

I'd just like to add that I do agree with SG's point once he added some necessary clarification - if you say now that Law is wrong because he's an idiot, you better be consistent with that the next time he says something positive about the O's. Otherwise, you're the idiot.

Proof this organization has moved forward... The O's are taking heat over 1 year contracts paid to aging veterans as opposed to Multi-year contracts to aging veterans.

Truth. The reason we're taking heat (from me at least) over one year contracts (and really just Vlad) is that our window, while not starting this year, is fast approaching, and will probably close quickly. What is Pie AND Nolan start ripping? What if Nolan stats slow but tears up the minors in May/June, then comes up and is up and down in 300 PAs? What if Vlad plays amazing, but so do Nolan and Pie? These are all nice problems to have this year, but hurt our organizational information going into next season, when I'm hoping our contending window begins.

Well, it's just very silly. They're projections...current or not, they're never going to be "true or false". :)

Actually, they can be "correct" or "wrong" at this juncture, but not on the basis of whether or not the forecast will be actualized; since his issue was seemingly whether or not those predictions were legitimate ones for 2011, not a matter of whether or not the predictions cited would come to pass.

As it turns out, they weren't even the right set of predictions. He had reason to be skeptical. There's no way even a "hater" like Keith Law here would go out and say the O's are winning a mere 62 this year. ;)

Truth. The reason we're taking heat (from me at least) over one year contracts (and really just Vlad) is that our window, while not starting this year, is fast approaching, and will probably close quickly. What is Pie AND Nolan start ripping? What if Nolan stats slow but tears up the minors in May/June, then comes up and is up and down in 300 PAs? What if Vlad plays amazing, but so do Nolan and Pie? These are all nice problems to have this year, but hurt our organizational information going into next season, when I'm hoping our contending window begins.

I was a huge proponent of informational gathering during the 2010 season. I think at some point you need to move on with trying to win even it that means trying to simply get back to .500. Reimold will be up if he is tearing it up. There will no doubt be injuries. One downside to Scott playing the field is that I would almost guarantee he will not stay healthy.

I guess my question was very poorly asked.

I was asking if the projections that I saw on the internet were the actual projections. I was not asking if pecota was true or not.

Currently, the January 22 PECOTA-adjusted projected standings show the Orioles winning 77 games. These will get tweaked several times between now and opening day. Here is a link: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_oddspec.php

I was a huge proponent of informational gathering during the 2010 season. I think at some point you need to move on with trying to win even it that means trying to simply get back to .500. Reimold will be up if he is tearing it up. There will no doubt be injuries. One downside to Scott playing the field is that I would almost guarantee he will not stay healthy.

Maybe, I'd just prefer not to risk going into next year and not having all the information we can possibly get. Also, this may be a philosophical difference, because I completely disagree with the statement that's bolded. I am of the belief that you build until you are ready to make a realistic run at the playoffs, then you make your push.

I think Keith Law is a fantastic writer, but I just don't get some of what he's saying.

Is he really implying that Reynolds is a "bad player" because he strikes out 200 times? That comment is just so ironic after calling the O's FO "old school" for the way they went about their offseason. I just don't get it.

Archived