Showalter has a surprise for the team

ChaosLex

Motivate them for what time period, though?

For a football game? Ok. But for an entire baseball season? No.

That's the issue.

I don't think you are grasping the point. Ray can be seen as a motivational speaker. Does he get into peoples faces to fire them up? Yes. Is that type of motivation better suited for 1 game? Yes. Yet, he could be seen as a great "rah rah" guy but also a good speaker in terms of overcoming adversity, trusting in your team mates, dedicating yourself to the sport, etc.

Just because he is mainly a in your face kinda guy doesn't mean that's the only type of motivation he can provide.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Motivate them for what time period, though?

For a football game? Ok. But for an entire baseball season? No.

That's the issue.

IF the surprise is a guest speaker, you can have this argument for anyone.

If it is a guest speaker that is designed to talk to the team, motivate them, etc...then Ray is as good a person as anyone for the job.

This is just silly. Everyone from all walks of life whether a ditch digger or a Five-Star General responds to leadership. And if it is one thing that Ray Lewis will always be known for, it is his ability to inspire by his unquestioned gift of leadership.

You are so completely, utterly, dead wrong on this. Talk to anyone, and I mean ANYONE outside of Baltimore about Ray Lewis, and the first they will bring up is the Murder stuff. He is hardly going down in the annals of sports history as a great leader, outside of Baltimore sports.

I'm not saying its right, but I'm saying this is what he's known for. People who do not watch football know who Lewis is, not because he is a great player, but because they heard about him getting tangled up in some mess.

You are so completely, utterly, dead wrong on this. Talk to anyone, and I mean ANYONE outside of Baltimore about Ray Lewis, and the first they will bring up is the Murder stuff. He is hardly going down in the annals of sports history as a great leader, outside of Baltimore sports.

I'm not saying its right, but I'm saying this is what he's known for. People who do not watch football know who Lewis is, not because he is a great player, but because they heard about him getting tangled up in some mess.

That's because people are morons.

If there was one place I'd hope that I wouldn't have to hear stupid crap about "Ray Lewis and the murder thing" more than 10 years after the fact, it would be the OH just as the Orioles are beginning Spring Training.

I couldn't agree any more strongly.

IF the surprise is a guest speaker, you can have this argument for anyone.

If it is a guest speaker that is designed to talk to the team, motivate them, etc...then Ray is as good a person as anyone for the job.

I still completely disagree with this. To professional athletes, Ray Lewis is a peer. If Showalter took the Rangers team to meet with pilots, than he clearly wants to show the players something inspirational. There is nothing inspirational about Lewis. I like the military angle because, historically, athletes have responded very well to military connections. It could be viewed as cliche, but I prefer to see it as a working wheel that doesn't need fixing.

Hearing a grown man that makes millions of dollars playing a game, just like them, isn't something they can't get elsewhere.

I stand by the preference for Earl Weaver to be a guest speaker because he can give perspective that is relevant to what they do and tie the old to the present day.

Nonetheless, we really have no idea what this "surprise" is, so no real point in speculating. We should just wait and see.

Is the military inspirational to all people? Certainly to the Luke Scotts but to others might it not be controversial?

I think there are ways to incorporate the military without being overbearing. I'm not huge into the military culture but something relatively innocuous like a leadership or team-building activity would work.

I think there are ways to incorporate the military without being overbearing. I'm not huge into the military culture but something relatively innocuous like a leadership or team-building activity would work.

Exactly. To athletes, the themes of physically demanding labor, team work and reliance on one another, and receiving direction from an authoritative leader in pursuit of the ultimate goal of victory all ring loud and clear.

I still completely disagree with this. To professional athletes, Ray Lewis is a peer. If Showalter took the Rangers team to meet with pilots, than he clearly wants to show the players something inspirational. There is nothing inspirational about Lewis. I like the military angle because, historically, athletes have responded very well to military connections. It could be viewed as cliche, but I prefer to see it as a working wheel that doesn't need fixing.

Hearing a grown man that makes millions of dollars playing a game, just like them, isn't something they can't get elsewhere.

I stand by the preference for Earl Weaver to be a guest speaker because he can give perspective that is relevant to what they do and tie the old to the present day.

Nonetheless, we really have no idea what this "surprise" is, so no real point in speculating. We should just wait and see.

When I started reading your post, I thought you were going to go in a different direction. Ray Lewis is a peer- one who has gotten the most out of his body and played at a very high level longer than pretty much anyone at his position ever has. As professional athletes, I'm sure they understand better than anyone else what kind of respect Ray is entitled to. Not only that, but an understanding of how someone like the Atlanta DA might want to take a shot at a guy like Ray to make a name for himself.

I think other sports fans would be far less forgiving than other sports players.

You figured that all out on your own, did you?

You can't argue that fact that the statement isn't true. The people who never watch sports knows who Larry Bird was. They know he was a legendary basketball player. The same people know Ray Lewis for a different reason. Fair or not, he'll forever be stigmatized outside of Baltimore sports, and by his peers of course. Its a shame, because he is an all-time great.

Archived