Baseball America/DiamondScape Scouting Video

Conor Glassey at Baseball America put together a video of Baseball America's top 10 college draft prospects, using a good amount of video provided by DiamondScape Scouting. It's behind the paywall, but definitely check it out if you are a subscriber:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/news/2011/2611300.html

Conor did a great job.

Very well done by all.

I see what you were referring to with Jungman, I really don't like his finish. Stiff and he recoils a bit. I can live with the across the body motion, not the finish though.

Springer takes quite a big step in his swing, his head must drop nearly a foot. But wow, quick strong wrists and smooth torso. Power is there for sure.

I'm still not a fan of Purke's delivery. Both he and Jungman scream TJ surgery.

Thanks for the video, Nick.

Very well done by all.

I see what you were referring to with Jungman, I really don't like his finish. Stiff and he recoils a bit. I can live with the across the body motion, not the finish though.

Springer takes quite a big step in his swing, his head must drop nearly a foot. But wow, quick strong wrists and smooth torso. Power is there for sure.

The more I read on these boards, the more my top four are becoming...

1. Rendon

2. Cole

3. Starling

4. Gray

I feel like Starling is the one guy with some real risk (e.g., non standard pitcher risk), but his upside is immense. All of Rendon, Cole and Gray could be very fast movers.

Jungmann and Purke also scare me now, as does Springer. It would be very interesting if any of the three show up with significantly different mechanics this year.

The more I read on these boards, the more my top four are becoming...

1. Rendon

2. Cole

3. Starling

4. Gray

I feel like Starling is the one guy with some real risk (e.g., non standard pitcher risk), but his upside is immense. All of Rendon, Cole and Gray could be very fast movers.

Jungmann and Purke also scare me now, as does Springer. It would be very interesting if any of the three show up with significantly different mechanics this year.

I've seen Purke and Jungmann -- mechanics are the same.

If they are genuine red flags, there's more than enough talent at the top here to go another direction, IMO.

Depends on what you consider a flag and how much weight you give to biomechanic analysis. To me, Purke's issue is non-injury related. I've seen him in person a few times, and on video a lot, and as outstanding as his stuff is it's just more hittable than it should be at times. It's my own opinion, but I think the lower slot negates the angle he creates (which is an excellent angle) and traps the ball in the hit zone for too long. His slider is the best fit for his arm slot, but unless he gets on top of it enough, it really sticks the zone. A little more downward plane could go a long way, in my opinion, and I think that is an adjustment that can be made.

The injury issue with Purke, again just in my opinion, is that he bumped so many innings last year. I was very happy he took the summer off, and that TCU is limiting his pitches early on. Now, if we see these innings still limited a month later, there will be cause for concern. But for now, I think Purke's "issues" are potentially correctable, and it's tough not to love a lefty arm that can climb to 96/97 mph.

Jungmann gets the hard finish ding, but it's really tough to argue with his results. He maintains his stuff through all nine innings and has really built up his three pitch arsenal to the point that he could legitimately have three plus pitches. He may not be an elite command guy, and the biomechanics crowd probably has a big issue with his short stride, head wack and recoil, but he's generally around the zone and the stuff is legit. I'd have a hard time knocking him too much.

Barnes and Jed Bradley could climb, but despite the hype from some corners I still see him as a potential plus fastball/3 average or tick above pitches kind of guy. That sounds like potentially a solid #2 or top tier #3, but not necessarily a true #1. I love Gray; hope he bounces back today against Stanford. Jed Bradley, I think, could be a top 5 overall guy come June. The arm strength is there and he really spots his stuff up. Wouldn't be surprised if Arizona used their protected pick to nab Hultzen a handful of picks early and give him a bit above slot in an agreed-upon deal.

Very well done by all.

Thanks! My big concern with Springer is that even with the bat speed he's just to long to contact for his hit tool to play up. If that's true, then his limited hit tool is going to really cut into how much that 65/70 raw power can emerge in-game.

Tough situation, because the physicality is so special, particularly the power/speed combo. I love to dream on it, but at the end of the day I look at JBJ and see a defender and hitter that should be a MLB starter so long as he continues to play to his strengths (that means not trying to yank, Jackie!). If Springer were a high schooler I'd consider him for the top pick. There just might be too much engrained at this point. Shrug.

Hey Nick, did you get to see MD/TEX up close and personal? I've got a couple games on the schedule in a while, alma mater and all, but does MD have anyone worth watching? I was going to try to get to the FL St. series to check out some of these Seminoles I keep hearing about, but I had a friend tell me my Terps were much more surprising than he thought they would be.

Hey Nick, did you get to see MD/TEX up close and personal? I've got a couple games on the schedule in a while, alma mater and all, but does MD have anyone worth watching? I was going to try to get to the FL St. series to check out some of these Seminoles I keep hearing about, but I had a friend tell me my Terps were much more surprising than he thought they would be.

For 2011, really just Ghysels for MD (if his velo is where it was over the summer). Improving program for sure, but still mostly college guys; limited prospects.

For 2011, really just Ghysels for MD (if his velo is where it was over the summer). Improving program for sure, but still mostly college guys; limited prospects.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I didn't see a whole lot special last year and was wondering if I just missed something. Glad they are playing well though, I'm looking forward to catching a couple ACC games.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I didn't see a whole lot special last year and was wondering if I just missed something. Glad they are playing well though, I'm looking forward to catching a couple ACC games.

Some guys that could grow into something for 2013, freshman Convissar, Ramsay and Kiene. I think only Convissar and Kiene are getting time at this point.

Archived