If you were the GM, would you put Britton on the OD roster, or wait?

Frobby

If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster  

214 members have voted

1. 1. If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster

• Yes - give the team the best chance to win now
    • No - get the extra year of control by waiting until April 21 or later

This poll is closed to new votes

And with Boras as his agent, they won't be able to extend him beyond his last arb year UNLESS they drastically overpay, like the Rockies did with CarGo. You are already sitting here and saying he could be done in a few years, so I am sure you aren't willing to give him a monster contract well into his 30s.

And if that's the case, then having the extra year of service time makes Britton worth more in a trade. You can't tell me that you can't grasp the importance of that.

You are talking about 2-3 starts in a season where you think we will win 85 games EITHER WAY.

So, why are you even crying about this?

And don't give me the mindset bs...The team's mindset isn't any different if Britton goes down or not.

I'm perfectly fine with us walking away after year 6 or trading him in year 5 if he wants too much money.

A pitcher that has a ton of success after age 28 is pretty rare and way too expensive for the production they'd likely put up.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matusz...I am not like you...I don't blow small sample sizes out of proportion.

I have more knowledge and intelligence than that.

Not to mention, unlike you, I also know that Britton isn't the greatest pitcher of all time and because of that, he will have some growing pains, maybe even in April of his rookie season.

I am not willing to say he is going to go out and pitch a bunch of shutouts from the beginning.

He won't pitch shutouts but he's the only pitcher to have his mechanics still solid coming out of this spring and he keeps the ball on the ground. Everybody else appears to be fighting the changes in some way and have been giving up dingers. That doesn't bode well for us.

You do realize if they extend him, that point for the extra year becomes moot.

Just stop right there. It doesn't become moot at all because it greatly effects the contract that he'd be signed to. The extension would likely have an extra year on it and more favorable salary figures after gaining the extra year by sending him down now.

He won't pitch shutouts but he's the only pitcher to have his mechanics still solid coming out of this spring and he keeps the ball on the ground. Everybody else appears to be fighting the changes in some way and have been giving up dingers. That doesn't bode well for us.

Oh well...Guess we are done for.

You shouldn't watch the 3 games you watch a year and start rooting for Boston...The Orioles are obviously trying to lose.

Buck doesn't want to win.

Just stop right there. It doesn't become moot at all because it greatly effects the contract that he'd be signed to. The extension would likely have an extra year on it and more favorable salary figures after gaining the extra year by sending him down now.

He just doesn't understand this.

Who is cheap and doesn't want to play their talented players and/or has a sufficient development system in place to replace them cheaply.

Tampa has to keep players down for financial reasons.

What's the Orioles excuse?

The Orioles just dropped more than $20 million on 1 year players, and they can't afford to pay Britton?

not to mention TB cant sell tickets.

Britton is someone we are, hopefully, going to want long term. How we treat him now is important. We're going to, hopefully, be paying him at some point. I believe Britton deserves his shot, earned it, and should be rewarded for his work. I think the entire team should be rewarded by having a guy that, by every indication this spring, gives us a great chance to beat any lineup right now. Its an ugly schedule this April, I believe Britton earned his spot with hard work and did everything that was asked of him. I don't believe in telling a young man he has the chance to make a team, watch him pitch how he did, and then pull that out from under him. Just poor management of that situation and player and that may be something he holds against the Orioles when he is in control of his future and where he plays.

Why have an extra year on the extension?

The best contract would buy out only one or two of his FA years.

You don't likely want him much past age 28.

A contract like the Marlins gave Johnson is ideal.

Nope...sorry.

ok so again, someone answer me this, just how badly does someone have to pitch to garner them being sent down, after being given a spot on opening day, in order to make room for britton?

You're going to give tillman 2 starts and send him down?

You know this because?

Cargo comparisons. How bad was that deal, in your opinion?

Please, learn how to write.

I know it because they are professionals. We signed several players this year and have brought in a new manager who has changed the mindset of the team.

They aren't going to sit around and doubt themselves because a pitcher who hasn't thrown one ML inning was sent down.

The long extensions are supposed to end up being discounts for the team, since they take on so much risk...CarGo got what he would get anyway..The Rockies overpaid.

Archived