Mora may drop his NTC!!!!!!!!!

WhoRU

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was starting a thread on this but you beat me to it...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-mora1107,0,6622512.story

Read through some of these quotes. I used to love Melvin Mora, but this article makes him sound like a total prima donna and the total opposite of a team player. Some particular excerpts:

When referring to being benched to give Scott Moore an opportunity, he said "I've been busting my butt for seven years in the organization. I'm a two-time All-Star, I've won a Silver Slugger [award]. I don't deserve that. If I have to take that crap, I'd rather go somewhere else."

When asked about potentially moving to left-field, he said "I don't want to play those games. I'm one of the best third basemen in the American League and in baseball. If you are going to move me, you have to make the team more competitive."

Granted, there are some "I love the O's till my dying day" feel good quotes in there too, but something about these two quotes instantly made me think "I want to get rid of him" when I was done reading the article. A lot more so than anything Kevin Millar did during the postseason.

Thoughts?

"I don't want to make it seem it was Moore's fault. This kid was hungry to play," Mora said. "But I've been busting my butt for seven years in the organization. I'm a two-time All-Star, I've won a Silver Slugger [award]. I don't deserve that. If I have to take that crap, I'd rather go somewhere else."

Fine with me. Get him out of here, anyone who wants him can have him for scraps.

where could he possibly go and be a fit and what type of return could we net? I'm thinking he's much more of a deadline deal type of player when a team has lost an important piece to their lineup and are still in the playoff hunt. Figure that's when best to move him among a lot of our other guys, which is when I think/hope we can make a lot of moves this year.

This is great stuff, quite ironic...

If he does return, Mora made it known that things need to change. The veteran felt that the Orioles clubhouse was divided last season.

"The problem is you have people that have been in the big leagues for five, six years, and they think they own the Orioles," he said. "They need to fix that problem. I treat everybody the same, and it's something that I can fix if they let me fix it."

He was also disappointed in the manager's public criticism of enigmatic starter Daniel Cabrera. Trembley called Cabrera "unprofessional" after the pitcher threw behind the head of Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia, nearly inciting a brawl.

"What Cabrera did was wrong, and I told him that. I told him, 'You could have killed that guy.' But what [Trembley] said to the media wasn't right either," Mora said. "This is the one guy that I want to have on my team. We have five starting pitchers, and Daniel is the only guy to stay healthy and throw 200 innings. But nobody says anything about that."

You are the divide Melvin, you and your buddy Miggi...

We can fix the problem by shipping you two out...

where could he possibly go and be a fit and what type of return could we net? I'm thinking he's much more of a deadline deal type of player when a team has lost an important piece to their lineup and are still in the playoff hunt. Figure that's when best to move him among a lot of our other guys, which is when I think/hope we can make a lot of moves this year.

Minnesota for one.........OK thats all I can come up with :D

God.... Gag me after reading this article.

"The problem is you have people that have been in the big leagues for five, six years, and they think they own the Orioles," he said. "They need to fix that problem. I treat everybody the same, and it's something that I can fix if they let me fix it."

Fixing the problem involves removing precisely these types of attitudes from the clubhouse. Nice job, Melvin.

"I'm one of the best third basemen in the American League and in baseball. If you are going to move me, you have to make the team more competitive."

This is almost laughable. How many games did you play last year Melvin? The left side of the infield is precisely why this team isn't going to move forward. They believe that they are the best in the business and they are complacent with that. It's time to rid ourselves of people and personalities like these. I couldn't care less if we got Jason Grimsley back, Mora needs to go. Now.

This is great stuff, quite ironic...

If he does return, Mora made it known that things need to change. The veteran felt that the Orioles clubhouse was divided last season.

He was also disappointed in the manager's public criticism of enigmatic starter Daniel Cabrera. Trembley called Cabrera "unprofessional" after the pitcher threw behind the head of Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia, nearly inciting a brawl.

"What Cabrera did was wrong, and I told him that. I told him, 'You could have killed that guy.' But what [Trembley] said to the media wasn't right either," Mora said. "This is the one guy that I want to have on my team. We have five starting pitchers, and Daniel is the only guy to stay healthy and throw 200 innings. But nobody says anything about that."

You are the divide Melvin, you and your buddy Miggi...

We can fix the problem by shipping you two out...

WOW there must be a page two I didn't read!

He might be a fit for the Phillies.

For the last few years I've been resistant to any kind of drastic rebuilding effort, because I had a soft spot for Tejada, Roberts, Mora, Gibbons, and the like - especially after that sensational start to 2005.

But Tejada and Mora have become underperforming divas, Gibbons apparently can't hit the broad side of a barn without a little Cap'n in him :winkwink:, and Roberts - well, I still like Roberts, even though he sucked in 2006 after his injury, last year was a little better.

I think a lot of fans are still really attached to those four players, and getting rid of any of them could result in a PR hit with the less baseball-savvy and/or more sentimental fan base. Me personally, I gave up on Tejada after witnessing his lack of hustle on several occasions last year. Gibbons, well I gave up on him when I saw him attempt to play leftfield. But Mora - I wasn't ready to give up on him yet, even though his numbers have been down. He's just too nice a guy.

Then I read this article.

I think it effectively allowed me to sever any emotional ties I had with Melvin Mora. Now I'm ready to part with whoever it takes to get this clubhouse right and 100% support the rebuilding effort. Articles like this are good because they help the more sentimental folks let go of those few players they've been able to love the last few years. It's time to move on and love a new bunch of young, hungry, and hopefully talented players that might actually win a few games.

Good-bye, Melvin.

he might be more of a deadline guy but the market is big for 3b this year and if we can get a solid reliever in return for him i am content. i think his defense is highly rated within the league despite what OHers say and he def has some value, especially if we eat some cash.

Archived