Mora may drop his NTC!!!!!!!!!

WhoRU

5-6 years in the Big Leagues:

Payton (my guess)

Millar (my second guess)

Payton is an interesting guess. I went to one of the last few games of the season and sat out in the LF seats during that inning where the Jays scored a boatload of runs against Victor Zambrano. You could see the immense pain and frustration in his face. If he's as vocal as he's supposedly been in other organizations, I can see him maybe overstepping and becoming a little too "I know more than you" with the other guys in the clubhouse and stepping on some toes.

That's fine - they can trade Payton too. Literally, I'm so worked up right now, the only people I want them to keep are Markakis, maybe Roberts, Guthrie, and Loewen. I could go either way on Bedard. The rest - ship em out.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Payton is an interesting guess. I went to one of the last few games of the season and sat out in the LF seats during that inning where the Jays scored a boatload of runs against Victor Zambrano. You could see the immense pain and frustration in his face. If he's as vocal as he's supposedly been in other organizations, I can see him maybe overstepping and becoming a little too "I know more than you" with the other guys in the clubhouse and stepping on some toes.

That's fine - they can trade Payton too. Literally, I'm so worked up right now, the only people I want them to keep are Markakis, maybe Roberts, Guthrie, and Loewen. I could go either way on Bedard. The rest - ship em out.

I agree. Lets clean this mess up and start fresh.

If I had to guess - Brian Roberts. Which is weird because of that handslap thing they do. But Roberts is more the face of this team than Mora. It wouldn't surprise me if it were Gibbons as well considering he is the player rep for the team...

That made me laugh. I can just picture BRob walking around the clubhouse like a little Napoleon, barking orders at people. Yelling at the rookies to get the [expletive] out of his way, telling the manager who should be in the lineup, throwing punches at Mora when he makes a fool of himself on the bases... maybe even throwing his spikes at a reporter who asks an invasive question. Yeah, definitely Roberts. :D

"I'm one of the best third basemen in the American League and in baseball."

Wow! All I can say to that is wow.

Seriously ... since signing that extension, his power has disappeared and his OPS has dropped almost 100 points. Not to mention that his bat went MIA after the All-Star break the past two years in a row (.704 OPS in '07, .686 OPS in '06). He's not even in the top 3 of 3rd basemen in the AL East. But he thinks he's one of the best in all of baseball? :confused:

Extending Mora might have been the worst mistake Flanagan ever made...

Not a Flanagan mistake.

1. Duquette was handling the negotiations. He didn't want to give MM the money, and was under instructions from PA not to offer a NTC to anyone.

2. MM went straight to the top and talked to PA, and got his NTC. It was very widely reported at the time.

3. This thrilled Roch Kubatko and about 90% of the people around here who kept saying "pay the man", partly because he showed up for Elrod's funeral.

4. Could it be that the owner changed his mind to please the fans?

5. I would suggest the "pay the man" crowd is a lot more responsible that Flanagan was.

5-6 years in the Big Leagues:

He could be talking about:

Tejada

Hernandez

Roberts

Huff

Patterson

Gibbons

Baez

Walker

Bradford

Payton (my guess)

Millar (my second guess)

Huh?

Tejada=10 years

Hernandez=8 years

Roberts=6 years (that's a match)

Huff=7 years

Patterson=7 years

Gibbons=6 years (that's a match)

Baez=6 years (that's a match)

Walker=7 years

Bradford=9 years

Payton=9 years

Millar=9 years

Naturally Melvin could be off a bit in his estimate, but Payton and Millar are each 9 years vets, nearly the same as Mora.

But he thinks he's one of the best in all of baseball? :confused:

He must've forgotten Alex Rodriguez switched over to 3B a few years ago... :rolleyes:

And I think Zaimoku is right. I was at that Fan Fest right before they signed him to the extension - he seemed so cool in that suede jacket. He was working his magic with Tejada to get him back on board after all the talk of wanting out. I was part of the "Pay the Man" crowd, and it seemed like we sure were right back then. I remember how happy I was that we'd actually locked down Mora and Gibbons since we had such a poor track record of letting other "stars" walk by low balling them.

If only we'd known.... Why couldn't we have offered fair money to Robbie Alomar and Mike Mussina and lowballed these guys instead?

In 2007 he was well above average, but in 2006 he was one of the worst in the league and in 2005 he was about average. He certainly hasn't earned the right to call himself one of the best... that would require consistency.

I pretty much completely disagree. I think he gets very underrated by most of the people on here for his defense. Yes, his bat slipped. But his glove, after a rough couple of months when he first made the switch, has been outstanding.

Huh?

Tejada=10 years

Hernandez=8 years

Roberts=6 years (that's a match)

Huff=7 years

Patterson=7 years

Gibbons=6 years (that's a match)

Baez=6 years (that's a match)

Walker=7 years

Bradford=9 years

Payton=9 years

Millar=9 years

Naturally Melvin could be off a bit in his estimate, but Payton and Millar are each 9 years vets, nearly the same as Mora.

I really don't know what he meant. Maybe he is just off a year or two. Maybe he feels hes a vet and is owed something. The whole thing strikes me as bizarre.

I pretty much completely disagree. I think he gets very underrated by most of the people on here for his defense. Yes, his bat slipped. But his glove, after a rough couple of months when he first made the switch, has been outstanding.

I'm not talking about his bat. His glove was much better this year and it wasn't bad in 2005, but in 2006 he had a truly terrible year with the glove.

Archived