Orioles to Spend This Winter?

PrivateO

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd give Fielder 6/120...I think he might be worth that.

I don't think he would be quite worth that but I don't think it would be too far off and even if he is only worth 90-100 million, that isn't really that bad.

I would prefer to give him 5/110 than 6/120 personally.

I don't think he would be quite worth that but I don't think it would be too far off and even if he is only worth 90-100 million, that isn't really that bad.

Yeah, I mean, I would bet on any given multi-year FA contract not being worth it. But in that context, I'd be fine with 6/120.

It sure would be nice to finally have a middle of the lineup bat, but I have serious doubts Fielder would be willing to come to Baltimore unless the offer is much higher than the other suitors. Since that's not gonna happen, let's try something crazy and forget about draft budgets and go out and draft and sign the best talent available when we pick. And if we really wanna go nuts, maybe we sign a TOP international kid too. A guy can dream, cant he?

Even if they overpay by 20mm over 6 years, that's still less money lost than the Gonzales signing AND even the Atkins signing. I used to be against the singning of Fielder, but I'm completely on board now.

Are you ok with 7+ years and 150+ million?

Rather see 6/130. The big question with Fielder is not IF he can perform, but for how long can he perform?

I really don't see a big problem with Fielder's body type through 7 years as far as hitting.

My HOPE would be that by year 6, the Orioles will have developed and pushed a top end 1B through the system to take over a lot of the first base duties at league minimum and push Fielder over to DH, so that while it would be an expensive DH...1b's cheap price would somewhat negate the payroll hit.

Rather see 6/130. The big question with Fielder is not IF he can perform, but for how long can he perform?

I really don't see a big problem with Fielder's body type through 7 years as far as hitting.

My HOPE would be that by year 6, the Orioles will have developed and pushed a top end 1B through the system to take over a lot of the first base duties at league minimum and push Fielder over to DH, so that while it would be an expensive DH...1b's cheap price would somewhat negate the payroll hit.

Its not about what you would rather see.

If you are going to be serious about wanting Fielder, you need to go into the negotiations with the thought that you are willing to offer him at least 7 years and at least 22M a year.

If you aren't willing to go that high, then you have to re-think things.

The Orioles may be "serious" about spending money and Fielder may be a target for them BUT the Orioles have to be saying right now, are we willing to go to at least 7/154. If the answer is yes, then ok. If its not, you had better be figuring our alternatives.

The holes and weaknesses of this team are obvious and are NOT going away. So, you can obviously(and very easily) plan right now what your course of action is going to be.

Archived