Orioles to Spend This Winter?

PrivateO

I'll be happy *if* it happens. Now, it may hold some merritt due to Showalter being here. I can't see Buck wanting to hang around if no real signings happen. I'm sure he voiced his opinions about the off-season moves, but most of them probably looked better on paper. Angelos & MacPhail have to realize that they need to go after younger players & not more past their prime players.

Not all of the offseason moves were bad. If we extend Hardy, then MacPhail will have gotten us the left side of the infield for the next few years. I mean, Reynolds is doing what we expected...hitting homers and driving in runs while hitting terrible. Anyone who thought he'd come into a new league and be a .250 hitter with 40 bombs was fooling themselves.

The Vlad and Lee signings were one year stop gaps to give us a decent team while not blocking anyone.

I see improvement with the team, and I think IF we could somehow finish over .500 this year, throwing the bank at Pujols is the way to go.

BUT....I make no false ideas that they WILL do that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cross off the Nationals unless they are going to move LaRoche who was signed to a 3 year deal.

Cross of the Angels unless they both deal Morales and bury Trumbo in the minors.

Going through the leagues, there are only 5 teams that could be in a position to buy high. The other teams:

1. Already committed financially to a 1B

2. Have a young 1B stud they are grooming.

3. Don't have the money to spend.

(*note: this assumes Pujols is also on the free agent market).

Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Blue Jays, Orioles

Twins, White sox, Tigers, Royals, Indians

Angels, Rangers, Athletics, Mariners

Phillies, Braves, Marlins, Mets, Nationals

Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Pirates, Cubs, Astros

Giants, Rockies, Padres Dodgers, Diamondbacks

This is assuming the Blue Jays and Rangers have money. If they decide not to spend, this could be 3 teams in a 2 horse race for Pujols and Fielder.

BUMP!

I heard a lot of talk on Mike and Mike and from other media outlets say yesterday and today that "It only takes one team" to offer Pujols the max even if most don't think it's a good idea.

If he comes back in mid August and hits a few homers but struggles to show power, which team do you see offering him max value? Noting above that there are only 5 teams even in a position to offer Pujols and Fielder that kind of money, do you think any of them reaches out and overpays for Pujols even if the rest of the league thinks he has power issues coming off the injury?

Cubs maybe?

*gulp* Angelos?

The Cubs are broke. They have literally been giving away tickets to get people to come buy merchandise and/or a beer in the stadium. Ricketts had to take on a huge amount of debt to buy the team so that Sam Zell could avoid capital gains taxes. Wrigley needs a Fenway-esque overhaul and the state doesn't have the money to help.

Long story short, despite the payroll coming off the books, the Cubs won't be players for Pujols or Fielder.

If Pujols comes back in mid-July, puts up an 800 OPS through August and a 900 OPS in September with no obvious pain or discomfort, do you take the risk and be the team who offers him the above-and-beyond deal? I think we could have a chance at Pujols this summer if we're willing to take on some serious risk. I'd bet on him hitting FA and resigning with the Cards if the offers are all in the same ballpark, but if they top out at 7/24, maybe we could get him for 8/28. I would be so excited to see that happen.

I still say Pujols stays a Card and Fielder stays in Milwaukee.

Highly probable that Pujols stays.. especially now.

But Fielder won't stay in Milwaukee. If the Cubs are truly out of things as VeveJones predicts, it could be us and the Rangers pretty much on an island talking to him.

I put the Blue Jays in blue a month ago, but they're going to think extra about throwing money at a 1B when Lind is tearing things up now. Couldn't you see the Rangers have a disappointing finish to the season (like lose in the first round to the Red Sox or something) and see Fielder as their ultimate "1 piece" to get better?

I think we're firmly in 2nd place in the runnings for Fielder and I definitely would not have thought that going into this season.

Highly probable that Pujols stays.. especially now.

But Fielder won't stay in Milwaukee. If the Cubs are truly out of things as VeveJones predicts, it could be us and the Rangers pretty much on an island talking to him.

I put the Blue Jays in blue a month ago, but they're going to think extra about throwing money at a 1B when Lind is tearing things up now. Couldn't you see the Rangers have a disappointing finish to the season (like lose in the first round to the Red Sox or something) and see Fielder as their ultimate "1 piece" to get better?

I think we're firmly in 2nd place in the runnings and I definitely wouldn't not have thought that going into this season.

Tha Nationals are definitely a possibility and probably a very strong one.

Tha Nationals are definitely a possibility and probably a very strong one.

I continue to reject the Nationals as a possibility because of LaRoche.

He is due $8Mil in 2012 with a buyout for 2013. The Nats would have to trade LaRoche (who has no value), or outright cut him swallowing all that money along with whatever they would need to bring Pujols. I just don't see it as a possible option even though they do have some money to throw around. Their hands are tied.

If Pujols comes back in mid-July, puts up an 800 OPS through August and a 900 OPS in September with no obvious pain or discomfort, do you take the risk and be the team who offers him the above-and-beyond deal? I think we could have a chance at Pujols this summer if we're willing to take on some serious risk. I'd bet on him hitting FA and resigning with the Cards if the offers are all in the same ballpark, but if they top out at 7/24, maybe we could get him for 8/28. I would be so excited to see that happen.

Can you imagine the hit to his image. Hes like the goody-goody hero of baseball fans, hes the guy everyone thinks will be with his team for his whole career and then he goes to one of the worst teams in baseball for the most money. Shoot, he'd be almost as low on the list as someone who is suspected of taking steroids (gasp)!

I don't know. I don't think anything about this season (outside of him not rebounding from the injury) will affect his value. Hes Albert Pujols, and if he decides not to stay in St. Louis there will be money coming from everywhere. I just hope that if he decides to stay with St. Louis and turns down a larger amount of money elsewhere, that the player's union doesn't make a big fuss. I understand the importance of everyone getting the most money, but its not like he will be getting a small amount if he stays in St. Louis.

I continue to reject the Nationals as a possibility because of LaRoche.

He is due $8Mil in 2012 with a buyout for 2013. The Nats would have to trade LaRoche (who has no value), or outright cut him swallowing all that money along with whatever they would need to bring Pujols. I just don't see it as a possible option even though they do have some money to throw around. Their hands are tied.

Forget about Albert..He is staying in St Louis.

They are a real threat to Fielder...trading or getting rid of LaRoche isn't going to be difficult.

If they identify Fielder as a guy they really want, you aren't going to let a one year contract get in the way of that.

Forget about Albert..He is staying in St Louis.

They are a real threat to Fielder...trading or getting rid of LaRoche isn't going to be difficult.

If they identify Fielder as a guy they really want, you aren't going to let a one year contract get in the way of that.

Obviously it makes sense that a small $8Mil contract should be easy to move around, but where does LaRoche go? As stated earlier, there are only a handful of teams that aren't already financially committed to a 1B or grooming a young stud for the position. It's easy to say "getting rid of LaRoche isn't going to be difficult," but where does he go? Cubs? Milwaukee? The Nationals have very little options in front of them and I just don't see it happening even if they really feel like Fielder would be a good fit.

Obviously it makes sense that a small $8Mil contract should be easy to move around, but where does LaRoche go? As stated earlier, there are only a handful of teams that aren't already financially committed to a 1B or grooming a young stud for the position. It's easy to say "getting rid of LaRoche isn't going to be difficult," but where does he go? Cubs? Milwaukee? The Nationals have very little options in front of them and I just don't see it happening even if they really feel like Fielder would be a good fit.

Just drop him...Or they could keep him as insurance for Fielder, pinch hitter, part time player...maybe try to get him to play the OF.

Either way, if they want Fielder and feel he is a big need, LaRoche isn't going to stop them IMO.

Just drop him...Or they could keep him as insurance for Fielder, pinch hitter, part time player...maybe try to get him to play the OF.

Either way, if they want Fielder and feel he is a big need, LaRoche isn't going to stop them IMO.

This is right. He would be a backup/PH/LF. If Matt Stairs can play LF, LaRoche can get you a start from time to time.

Archived