Orioles to Spend This Winter?

PrivateO

A-Gon's per year rate is a good benchmark for Fielder. The Red Sox, because they extended A-Gon, didn't have to bid against other big market teams. Similarly, which big market teams will really be in play for Fielder?

Yankees have Teixeira, unless they're looking to drop over 20 million/year on a DH.

Red Sox obviously have AGon and Youkilis.

The White Sox have Konerko and Dunn.

The Dodgers are a cluster from a financial standpoint.

Texas doesn't have the payroll room (IMO)

I think the following teams are in serious play for Fielder:

1. The Cubs

2. The Nationals (but can they really afford another Werth-esque contract?)

3. The Angels

None of these teams seem to be impossible to out-bid, therefore I think Fielder will receive close to market rate (AGon got market rate). I actually think that Fielder should be worth a bit less than AGon, but that market should move things to right about on par with Gonzalez in per year pricing.

I wouldn't be hesitant to go for the seventh year, either. The contract may seem somewhat lopsided if he's stuck at DH for the final year or two of the deal, but by then the Orioles should have developed their in-house replacement for first base and he should be playing everyday at the league minimum at the time, somewhat negating the DH albatross of the twilight years of that contract.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to bring up the past ...but in your mind did they make a legitimate offer/run at Tex? Their offer wasn't going to get it done & was around the 4th highest. I look back and try to rationalize what they did as coddling the fanbase. Saying they made a legit offer they knew he wouldn't take. If the other interested teams dictate the 7 years you either are in or bail out. I expect the Orioles to make a good offer based on what I've read....However will they offer enough to get it done. Isnt he represented by Boras??? That means he'll bemilking teams for every last year & penny.

Unless a team is bidding against themselves, I don't see much bemilking ability for Boras and Fielder this FA cycle. Aside from the lack of potential suitors (my last post), there's also Pujols out there to take on interest.

I believe the Orioles need to spend money this offseason to become anything better than a 85 win team that could contend under the right circumstances.

I believe they will spend, but nothing more than signing another DLee or Vlad type player.

I'll believe they make a serious offer to Fielder or someone similar when the contract gets signed.

The O's are starting to feel like that friend who always wants to borrow money and promises to pay you back on payday.

Well isn't that a description? Well played. Not sure PA is Welcher, but he sure is treated like one by the rest of the league.

I know this will be unpopular, as it is not a WOW factor, but there are other options even if we cannot get Fielder:

If I understand correctly, Aramis Ramirez will be a free agent at the end of the year, and I think he would be worth pursuing -- Reynolds could be moved to first base.

I'd love to see the O's make the Fielder deal come true, but in the probable event that the O's do not sign Fielder, I think Ramirez would be an improvement.

Anyone think we could make a run at Pujohls? (Sorry im sure I spelled it wrong) Doesnt look like their will be a ton of big spenders. I'd say he'd be worth higher avg dollars over a shorter period (4 or 5 years)? Not sure about this but is it possible?

I know this will be unpopular, as it is not a WOW factor, but there are other options even if we cannot get Fielder:

If I understand correctly, Aramis Ramirez will be a free agent at the end of the year, and I think he would be worth pursuing -- Reynolds could be moved to first base.

I'd love to see the O's make the Fielder deal come true, but in the probable event that the O's do not sign Fielder, I think Ramirez would be an improvement.

The Orioles need Stars ....If they added Fielder & Ramirez I'd be in... Essentially Ramirez is a .280 25 hr guy ...What concerns me is he hasn t played anywhere near a full season the past few years so I'd probably pass.

A-Gon's per year rate is a good benchmark for Fielder. The Red Sox, because they extended A-Gon, didn't have to bid against other big market teams. Similarly, which big market teams will really be in play for Fielder?

Yankees have Teixeira, unless they're looking to drop over 20 million/year on a DH.

Red Sox obviously have AGon and Youkilis.

The White Sox have Konerko and Dunn.

The Dodgers are a cluster from a financial standpoint.

Texas doesn't have the payroll room (IMO)

I think the following teams are in serious play for Fielder:

1. The Cubs

2. The Nationals (but can they really afford another Werth-esque contract?)

3. The Angels

None of these teams seem to be impossible to out-bid, therefore I think Fielder will receive close to market rate (AGon got market rate). I actually think that Fielder should be worth a bit less than AGon, but that market should move things to right about on par with Gonzalez in per year pricing.

I wouldn't be hesitant to go for the seventh year, either. The contract may seem somewhat lopsided if he's stuck at DH for the final year or two of the deal, but by then the Orioles should have developed their in-house replacement for first base and he should be playing everyday at the league minimum at the time, somewhat negating the DH albatross of the twilight years of that contract.

Cross off the Nationals unless they are going to move LaRoche who was signed to a 3 year deal.

Cross of the Angels unless they both deal Morales and bury Trumbo in the minors.

Going through the leagues, there are only 5 teams that could be in a position to buy high. The other teams:

1. Already committed financially to a 1B

2. Have a young 1B stud they are grooming.

3. Don't have the money to spend.

(*note: this assumes Pujols is also on the free agent market).

Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Blue Jays, Orioles

Twins, White sox, Tigers, Royals, Indians

Angels, Rangers, Athletics, Mariners

Phillies, Braves, Marlins, Mets, Nationals

Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Pirates, Cubs, Astros

Giants, Rockies, Padres Dodgers, Diamondbacks

This is assuming the Blue Jays and Rangers have money. If they decide not to spend, this could be 3 teams in a 2 horse race for Pujols and Fielder.

Archived