Orioles to Spend This Winter?

PrivateO

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/06/orioles-appear-poised-to-spend-this-winter.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Orioles people have been telling friends in the game that they'll have significant money to spend next winter, that manager Buck Showalter wants a first baseman who can hit in the middle of the order -- and that Prince Fielder may be the top target on their list.

http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/29723768

Let the fun begin...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, this wouldn't surprise me that much. I think the smarter move, as I posted in my Adam Jones thread, would be to blow it up. But with Buck in the fold, that's definitely not going to happen. MacPhail's been here awhile as well, and I doubt he's ready to admit defeat, either. So I wouldn't be that surprised if they went all in. Might not be the smart move, especially long term, but it would certainly turn some heads.

I've been saying this for awhile, I fully expect the O's to bid on Fielder. They offered Tex 7yrs $145M. I do not think they will offer Fielder that 7th year, but I do think they will over him $20.7M per year over 5 or 6 years.

I will not be surprised if the O's also bid on Darvish.

I don't think they'll go to a seventh year with Fielder, either.

But 5/105 or 6/125 wouldn't really surprise me.

Prince turned 27 in May, so we'd have him from 28-32 or 28-33, depending on the length of the deal.

Blowing it up should not be an option. There's really no long term guys in the fold that would allow for a relatively quick return to contention following a fire sale.

The Orioles simply need to get a 1B who can give production similar to Boston's AGon and New York's Teixeira. Every team in the division has at least one superstar bat. It's time for the Orioles to party like it's 1997 and get some of their own.

Yup, Not falling for it this time, I've finally learned. I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, bidding for and doing what it takes to make it happen are two different things.

Somehow I think they will offer 3-4 million per season less than the competition and say they made a competative offer.

I don't think there is really anything to fall for?

The O's have not made it a pattern to say they will spend money, be active, and then fail to do so. For the most part they stated an unwillingness to spend money for top FA's when they don't believe they can contend. They made an exception with their bid on Tex, because of what they deemed 'special circumstances.'

Where the frustration comes in (at-least for me) is the general lack of aggressiveness of the organization (and I think was part of the problem with the Tex negotiations).

OTOH, going into the off-season last year I said I thought things would be different and expected the O's to be fairly aggressive. You can debate the moves made, but trading for Hardy, Reynolds, and signing Lee, Guerrero, and Gregg was fairly aggressive for a team that was expected to finish 4th or 5th in the East.

I expect after this season ends, that the O's will reevaluate their roster and determine their core needs to be augmented with some game changing talent. I think the O's will have reservations about whether Fielder qualifies as a 'game changer' but will determine that his bat, and his age makes him someone to pursue. I don't expect them to deviate from who they are, and offer that 7th year... but I do think they will make a legitimate offer over 5 or 6 years. We will see what the market for Fielder is. Based on who would not be expected to bid, I think the O's could have a chance there.

There are always teams you don't think about but common sense says the two teams that make the most sense for Fielder are the Orioles and Cubs. I just think if they are going to get him they would have to overpay unless the market is weaker than I think.

I don't think there is really anything to fall for?

The O's have not made it a pattern to say they will spend money, be active, and then fail to do so. For the most part they stated an unwillingness to spend money for top FA's when they don't believe they can contend. They made an exception with their bid on Tex, because of what they deemed 'special circumstances.'

Where the frustration comes in (at-least for me) is the general lack of aggressiveness of the organization (and I think was part of the problem with the Tex negotiations).

OTOH, going into the off-season last year I said I thought things would be different and expected the O's to be fairly aggressive. You can debate the moves made, but trading for Hardy, Reynolds, and signing Lee, Guerrero, and Gregg was fairly aggressive for a team that was expected to finish 4th or 5th in the East.

I expect after this season ends, that the O's will reevaluate their roster and determine their core needs to be augmented with some game changing talent. I think the O's will have reservations about whether Fielder qualifies as a 'game changer' but will determine that his bat, and his age makes him someone to pursue. I don't expect them to deviate from who they are, and offer that 7th year... but I do think they will make a legitimate offer over 5 or 6 years. We will see what the market for Fielder is. Based on who would not be expected to bid, I think the O's could have a chance there.

I hate to bring up the past ...but in your mind did they make a legitimate offer/run at Tex? Their offer wasn't going to get it done & was around the 4th highest. I look back and try to rationalize what they did as coddling the fanbase. Saying they made a legit offer they knew he wouldn't take. If the other interested teams dictate the 7 years you either are in or bail out. I expect the Orioles to make a good offer based on what I've read....However will they offer enough to get it done. Isnt he represented by Boras??? That means he'll bemilking teams for every last year & penny.

Archived