2nd Round - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt University

KLaw on Esposito:

Klaw (2:21 PM)

It's not just fixing his swing, but he has a bat speed problem. You can clean him up to mitigate it, but there is always the risk that at some point the lack of bat speed takes over. That said, they took him in the right spot.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I've been working all day. Meant to chime in earlier.

I think Law is a little too strong on the bat speed issue. He doesn't have above average bat speed and, combined with the lack of loft in his swing, it limits his power potential. But his bat speed is not awful. More concerning to me were the mechanics on his swing. He has explosive hips and can get around on fastballs when his mechanics are right.

He pressed through much of the season, hurting his discipline. Could just be a down season. Has shown flashes of stardom before. Won't be a star in MLB but could certainly become a solid average to above average regular with a few adjustments.

His line in his sophomore season: .359/.453/.599 (1.052 OPS)

He was well on his way to a first round selection before inconsistencies at the plate this season. I don't believe it was just that his "bat speed was exposed." Guess JJ sees something in the swing that can be fixed. Esposito just needs to show some consistency.

Not the direction I would have gone in (and not the player I would have selected should I have decided to go college bat 2:4), but certainly not a reach. It depends on who is the real Esposito. If it's the 2011 version, you could have grabbed a better bat, safer college arm, or higher upside HS P there. If it's the 2010 version, you could have an excellent overall player on your hands.

Seems to me like 2011 was a bit of a down year for him all around. 2010 saw him steal 31 bases and a BB/K of 34/35. I read that he's a patient hitter that is more concerned with OBP than AVG, which is certainly evidenced better by his 2010 season.

Issue not just the spring -- he hasn't been very impressive with wood, which raised some flags regarding bat speed and plate coverage.

Most recently with wood, with Team USA (he was Rendon's replacement and played with the team for almost the entire summer):

.273/.347/.386, 1 BB, 8 SO, 44 AB

Issue not just the spring -- he hasn't been very impressive with wood, which raised some flags regarding bat speed and plate coverage.

Most recently with wood, with Team USA (he was Rendon's replacement and played with the team for almost the entire summer):

How bad is a .733 OPS during that stretch?

How bad is a .733 OPS during that stretch?

Brad Miller (Selected 62nd overall) w/USA

.441/.525/.647, 6 BB, 7 SO, 34 AB

Ryan Wright (Selected 175 overall) w/USA

.361/.451/.541, 5 BB, 8 SO, 61 AB

These were the other regular infielders for USA, along with Fontana (who was not draft eligible). This is a very small sample size, which should absolutely be taken into account.

Brad Miller (Selected 62nd overall) w/USA

.441/.525/.647, 6 BB, 7 SO, 34 AB

Ryan Wright (Selected 175 overall) w/USA

.361/.451/.541, 5 BB, 8 SO, 61 AB

These were the other regular infielders for USA, along with Fontana (who was not draft eligible). This is a very small sample size, which should absolutely be taken into account.

Gotcha, thanks much. You've been invaluable these past few days, per the usual.

Gotcha, thanks much. You've been invaluable these past few days, per the usual.

To be clear, there is big upside with Espo if he figures everything out. Don't want it to sound like I'm blasting the pick. Absolutely reasonable place to target him.

These numbers are hard to parse... how was his OBP so much higher than his BA with only 1 walk? Was he really hit by 4 pitches in 49 PAs?

The wonders of a small sample size. He'd be on pace to set the single-season ML record in he was hit 4 out of 49 in the majors.

Understood, but it's the scouting and the stats that point to potential contact issues.

Archived