2nd Round - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt University

The negativity here really takes getting used to.

I would like to get these guys signed as fast as possible, but I do not believe we've seen players hurt by missing short season. For instance, Machado and Arrieta were hardly hampered by late signings and there is no reason to believe it will effect Esposito.

Some folks get upset with tough signs. Some with Jordan not taking enough chances. Who knows why Esposito has not signed? His agent is well aware of pre-draft ratings and Esposito went near enough those ratings that his value should not be too difficult to figure out - to within $100k or so. Miclat held out for a small amount and received what he wanted. Anyway, it could be Esposito's only chance to cash in so I do not begrudge him holding out for $100k or less. Perhaps there was a pre-draft understanding with another team that a certain signing bonus was waiting for Esposito. FWIW, JJ's early round college hitters picked have advanced to AAA or the majors - Wieters, Riemold, Davis (barely) and Angle (though Hudson and Miclat - not so much, Mahoney we'll see) have made it to the majors.

If not signed, we retain a similar pick in next year's draft as pointed out above. Hopefully, we'll sign Espo soon.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The negativity here really takes getting used to.

I would like to get these guys signed as fast as possible, but I do not believe we've seen players hurt by missing short season. For instance, Machado and Arrieta were hardly hampered by late signings and there is no reason to believe it will effect Esposito.

Some folks get upset with tough signs. Some with Jordan not taking enough chances. Who knows why Esposito has not signed? His agent is well aware of pre-draft ratings and Esposito went near enough those ratings that his value should not be too difficult to figure out - to within $100k or so. Miclat held out for a small amount and received what he wanted. Anyway, it could be Esposito's only chance to cash in so I do not begrudge him holding out for $100k or less. Perhaps there was a pre-draft understanding with another team that a certain signing bonus was waiting for Esposito. FWIW, JJ's early round college hitters picked have advanced to AAA or the majors - Wieters, Riemold, Davis (barely) and Angle (though Hudson and Miclat - not so much, Mahoney we'll see) have made it to the majors.

If not signed, we retain a similar pick in next year's draft as pointed out above. Hopefully, we'll sign Espo soon.

Take the lollypop route or the glass is half-full all you want, Esposito needs to sign quickly. He has no reason to be holding our for more than slot. Who cares what his pre-season ranking was, the guy slipped to where the Orioles took him. He's a college junior who plays a power position and he more of a doubles guy although the hoope is that turns into homers eventually. It may not hurt him long term but holding is out could hurt him getting the Orioles quickly.

He's not a high school kid with college leverage. Either sign or go back to Vandy and good luck getting more money next year when you are 22-years old. Unless he thinks he's going to go back have a Laporte-type rebound he's going to lose money be being a 22-year old.

Take the lollypop route or the glass is half-full all you want

What does this have to do with discussing Esposito being unsigned on July 18? Not sure why any discussion of Espo's status has to involve little digs.

If you have statistical evidence that missing short season has hurt college hitting prospects, please share.

It is a negotiation and, for now, Espo has as much leverage as he and his agent believe they have. We've seen Joe Jordan hold the line with the signing bonus to Givens (and pull that offer) and we've seen Jordan give in to Miclat. We'll see what happens.

What does this have to do with discussing Esposito being unsigned on July 18? Not sure why any discussion of Espo's status has to involve little digs.

If you have statistical evidence that missing short season has hurt college hitting prospects, please share.

It is a negotiation and, for now, Espo has as much leverage as he and his agent believe they have. We've seen Joe Jordan hold the line with the signing bonus to Givens (and pull that offer) and we've seen Jordan give in to Miclat. We'll see what happens.

the part that makes me made is that they likely won't get both of the 3B we had selected. The Orioles need to get these signings done. Our Foes in our division had many more picks than us. We can't let the gap widen by not getting them signed.

You started it with your little dig about negativism. I appreciate that some people are just rosey all the time kind of people, even if some have to be medicated to be that way, but I don't see how anyone can always look at every situation and just give the benefit of the doubt. Getting 200 professional ABs can not hurt the speed of your development. It's annoying as a fan to see these young men think so much of themselves that they hold out and lose professional ABs. Honestly, if I'm Joe Jordan, I'm putting slot on the table and telling him to sign it or go back to Vandy and good luck getting that much as a 22-year old 3B with marginal power skills.

What this tells me is that this kid is all about money and not about playing baseball. He must believe he's worth more then his draft slot. Well guess what, you slipped to the second round and that's the way you are going to be paid. The Orioles ought to take the Esposito money and put it into the Delmonico negotiations. At least Delmonico wants to play ball, even if it is college ball.

College second round picks need to sign quickly and get going in their professional careers. Let their game get speak for them.

The greed of these agents and kids before they play a professional game is disgusting. Unless I hear that the Orioles are lowballing him off slot then this is on Esposito.

The kid will sign. Just doing what these guys do. It could be their only chance to get some real money in their lives.

Which is sad. Too much money is given out to players who will never do anything for the major league team (see Billy Rowell as the best O's example). I know if I'm drafting, one of the things I'm going to be very interested in is whether a guy wants to play and whether he understands the slotting system. Now don't get me wrong, I know that Jordan and his scouts do this as well as any team out there, and only a few times has a kid turned on their word (Chris Herrmann - 2008 comes to mind), but I just would not draft a guy who I thought was more interested then his bottom line at 21-years old than getting out and playing professional baseball.

I understand that first rounders and high school kids have a lot of leverage, but Esposito did not fall due to injury, he fell because he did not perform up to 1st round standards as a 3B. If I'm him, I'm taking the slot and going into professional ball knowing that I'm going to perform well and move quickly.

Taking a look at the 2nd round in this year's draft, it appears that a lot of the college guys have not signed yet and this tells me the agents are moving the 1st round wait game into the 2nd round as well. In the new CBA, baseball has to do something about these agents. It's ridiculous that these agents are able to convince these kids that they are worth so much more money if they hold out to the last second when most of the time they end up signing the offer that was on the table all along. Baseball needs to take a stand and either move up the signing date to mid-July or put a hard cap on bonuses after the 1st round. They also need to stop accepting the "adviser" role for college players. Once a college kid has contact with an agent he should lose his college eligibility. His only leverage should be to go pro in an independent league once he starts to accept professional advice.

At the end of the day, Esposito is the one who should be making the decisions. Not everyone has the drive needed to be a major league baseball player. Some kids like to take the summer off after college and that's understandable, but it tells me a little bit about the guys drive. There are a lot of guys who have the skills, but don't want to put in the hard work it takes to become a major leaguer. It takes a ton of drive and dedication to become a successful major leaguer and some guys show early on that they don't necessarily have what it takes.

I'm not not going to say that Esposito is one of these guys yet, but this hold out tells me he's trying to be a businessman more than a baseball player. In this stage of his career it should be the opposite in my opinion.

Sign the contract and start playing some baseball.

BTW, I wonder what's being taught at Vanderbilt University? Six players were drafted in the first three rounds this year and none have apparently signed or at least played a professional game yet.

These are 18-21 year old kids negotiating a $1M contract with a ML GM or Scouting Director. These kids are entirely out of their element and there is every reason to expect they should hire agent representation and follow that agent's advice - even if it means missing short season ball. Every $25,000 count when you are negotiating at the levels these second rounders receive.

What dig is being referred to above?

These are 18-21 year old kids negotiating a $1M contract with a ML GM or Scouting Director. These kids are entirely out of their element and there is every reason to expect they should hire agent representation and follow that agent's advice - even if it means missing short season ball. Every $25,000 count when you are negotiating at the levels these second rounders receive.

I have no problem with them (4-yr college guys) hiring an agent. I just think they should have to give up there college eligibility once they do. If they want to be businessmen fine, but know that once you do you are in the big boy world for good.

I have no problem with them (4-yr college guys) hiring an agent. I just think they should have to give up there college eligibility once they do. If they want to be businessmen fine, but know that once you do you are in the big boy world for good.

I agree. You either have an agent, or you don't. An "advisor" is an agent.

As far as signing earlier, I understand both sides. Players are just bodies/investments to MLB organizations. But if my son is in that situation in 8-10 years from now, I would advise him to get started as soon as you can get a reasonable deal. You don't have to suck out every last dollar. Get started with your development and your earning potential may very well be greater in the long run. You will either make it, or you won't. A few more $$ won't make much of a difference in the long run, but a few hundred at bats can keep your momentum going from the good spring that got you drafted.

That's a problem for the NCAA, not MLB.

If they went to college, they should have some common sense, particularly going to school like Vandy.

If he gets signed quickly, he could start in Delmarva...If he can start there and have a good season this year, he starts next year in Frederick. If he does well in Frederick, he could end the year in Bowie next year and at that point, he could see Baltimore at anytime, depending on what he is doing in the upper minors and what the situation in BMore is.

The longer he takes to sign, the longer it takes him to reach those levels and the longer it takes him to start accruing ML service time.

He is willing to put off making millions so that he can get an extra 100K now?

That has nothing to do with being out of your element..That is called being a moron.

If they went to college, they should have some common sense, particularly going to school like Vandy.

If he gets signed quickly, he could start in Delmarva...If he can start there and have a good season this year, he starts next year in Frederick. If he does well in Frederick, he could end the year in Bowie next year and at that point, he could see Baltimore at anytime, depending on what he is doing in the upper minors and what the situation in BMore is.

The longer he takes to sign, the longer it takes him to reach those levels and the longer it takes him to start accruing ML service time.

He is willing to put off making millions so that he can get an extra 100K now?

That has nothing to do with being out of your element..That is called being a moron.

Esposito was the 64th pick in the draft. In the history of the draft, only 34% of the players picked in that spot ever made it to the majors. Of the 16 who made it, only 9 had appreciable major league careers (200+ games). The odds that he is deferring a shot at millions of dollars are not high at all. The odds are much higher that his signing bonus will be the single biggest check he ever sees in his life.

Esposito was the 64th pick in the draft. In the history of the draft, only 34% of the players picked in that spot ever made it to the majors. Of the 16 who made it, only 9 had appreciable major league careers (200+ games). The odds that he is deferring a shot at millions of dollars are not high at all. The odds are much higher that his signing bonus will be the single biggest check he ever sees in his life.

This is the logic probably used by the agents when they talk to these kids. If I'm the Orioles, I'm holding fast on slot and just assume I'm going to lose two months of development time while the player tries out his big boy world pants on. In the defense of Esposito, most of the 2nd rounders have not signed yet which tells me this is more of an agent thing, which is ashamed. All this does is make Esposito look like he's more worried about squeezing out every last dime than get his professional career started. Unfortunately, this is what most of the agents have come to now a days as they are now stretching it out of the first round and obviously over slot guys into the other rounds.

I say baseball should put the signing date at July 15th. That should solve most of this time waste.

This is the logic probably used by the agents when they talk to these kids. If I'm the Orioles, I'm holding fast on slot and just assume I'm going to lose two months of development time while the player tries out his big boy world pants on. In the defense of Esposito, most of the 2nd rounders have not signed yet which tells me this is more of an agent thing, which is ashamed. All this does is make Esposito look like he's more worried about squeezing out every last dime than get his professional career started. Unfortunately, this is what most of the agents have come to now a days as they are now stretching it out of the first round and obviously over slot guys into the other rounds.

I say baseball should put the signing date at July 15th. That should solve most of this time waste.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the way this works at all. Look at how advantageous it was for Avery to sign quicly and get a full GCL season under his belt right away, compared to Givens who frittered way his chance to play the year he was drafted and then spent a good chunk of the next year injured. I just think SG's accusation that negotiating hard on the signing bonus was "moronic" because it might delay reaching the majors was over the top, in light of the fact that most picks equivalent to Esposito never make it to the majors at all.

Archived