2nd Round - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt University

Stats from this year:

.349 avg 8 HR 55 RBI 17 BB 37 SO 15 SB

Not loving the 17-37 BB-K ratio. Would have liked to seen the walks closer to the K's. Wonder if there is any thought of trying him at second base?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking over his videos I like the quiet hands pre-pitch and seems to have explosions in his hips. We'll see how his lack of walks hurts him in pro ball though. Hopefully he's advanced and can move quickly. I'd love to see a Esposito, Machado, Schoop infield in 2013.

Narron might be a bit upset with this pick.

Hopefully, JJ thinks there is something to correct in the swing or the timing mechanism to re-establish top prospect status.

Esposito appears to have slipped quite a bit this spring dropping from BA's mid-season Top 50 draft prospects at 41 to 77 pre-draft and now popped by the Os at 64.

Based on BA, Law and others, it seems that Esposito is going pretty close to what the consensus thought. Seems like a good pick.

I particularly like the scouting reports that Esposito's a relatively athletic player. Rather have that balance and skills across the board than a one-skill dominant player. With greater emphasis on defense and baserunning, Esposito sounds like a guy whom will contribute across all facets of the game, not just hit tool.

Seems to me like 2011 was a bit of a down year for him all around. 2010 saw him steal 31 bases and a BB/K of 34/35. I read that he's a patient hitter that is more concerned with OBP than AVG, which is certainly evidenced better by his 2010 season.

Just looking over his videos I like the quiet hands pre-pitch and seems to have explosions in his hips. We'll see how his lack of walks hurts him in pro ball though. Hopefully he's advanced and can move quickly. I'd love to see a Esposito, Machado, Schoop infield in 2013.

That's what she said!:wedge::)

Not really adding to the thread, sorry, but this made me laugh!

Stotle:

He was a 3rd Rounder for me, Scrat. Enough athleticism that you hope you can work with him and get that bat to emerge

Jon(crawdaddy):

That said, I do not think Esposito was a reach, but I think there were several better options . . . like 10-15 of them.

Archived