2nd Round - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt University

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony said on the radio that he was working on hitting to all fields and the "lack of bat speed" wasn't what it looked like. Plenty of bat speed according to JJ. Great defense. I heard somewhere comparisons to Matt Dominguez.

Tony said on the radio that he was working on hitting to all fields and the "lack of bat speed" wasn't what it looked like. Plenty of bat speed according to JJ. Great defense. I heard somewhere comparisons to Matt Dominguez.

This is predictable. RVAbird said it was a Jordan pick. He obviously liked what he saw more than Law and Stotle. That's ok. It's why the O's pay him, to make calls like that. Time will tell who's right, and nobody's right on all players.

This is predictable. RVAbird said it was a Jordan pick. He obviously liked what he saw more than Law and Stotle. That's ok. It's why the O's pay him, to make calls like that. Time will tell who's right, and nobody's right on all players.

And that's the truest statement of them all... ;)

I also think the bat speed issue is a little overblown, though it's not a strong point. Still some work that needs to be done to the swing, though. I'll be watching him closely this weekend in the super-regionals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Why is this signing taking so long? I'd really like to get him signed and playing with a month and a half left in the minor league season.

Not sure why this is taking so long unless he looking for seriously overslot. I'm not sure why Jordan can't find guys that wants to play in that second round. These guys almost always seem to lose that first year. All Esposito is doing is hurting his chances of moving that much quicker towards the majors. He could sign and get 200 at bats at Delmarva but it appears he's another guy more worried about his top dollar bonus then getting his professional career started with. Honestly, it's annoying it gives me a bad taste about a kid right off the bat. You are a college junior who slipped to the second round, deal with it and sign your slot and start playing baseball.

Not sure why this is taking so long unless he looking for seriously overslot. I'm not sure why Jordan can't find guys that wants to play in that second round. These guys almost always seem to lose that first year. All Esposito is doing is hurting his chances of moving that much quicker towards the majors. He could sign and get 200 at bats at Delmarva but it appears he's another guy more worried about his top dollar bonus then getting his professional career started with. Honestly, it's annoying it gives me a bad taste about a kid right off the bat. You are a college junior who slipped to the second round, deal with it and sign your slot and start playing baseball.

I think he has a chance to be a first rounder in next year's class, but he loses 100% of his leverage and would be lucky to even get slot. We are talking maybe $200-500k if everything breaks right, he stays healthy and puts up a stronger season last year than he did this year. Seems to me the smart move would be to sign, but who knows what his advisor is telling him.

A lot of guys get overslot money Tony, but it bothers me when a guy wants a million over slot because he was a first round talent along the way. Part of me wants to tell the Orioles to get it done, but part of me wants to tell the kid to take it or leave it. If you want to run the risk of lowering your value and your contract by getting hurt or playing poorly then go right a head. It is not just advisors, a lot of the times it is the parents as well. Any parent that would say that a degree is more important than taking a million when you get the chance is not looking out for their kid. You go to school to learn so you can get your dream job and take care of yourself. How does it not get any better than playing baseball, making a million and giving yourself an opportunity to play in the big leagues and make upwards of a million a year even if you are average? Stupid kids.....

What a punch to the gut that would be if BAL failed to sign Esposito while TOR picks off two of Vanderbilt's best recruits in Beede and Comer. It wouldn't be a total loss having him back next year, but for his financial well being and Baltimore's system, he needs to sign. As Stotle suggested, he'd loss all leverage next year, and with the potential of hard slotting, he likely doesn't stand to gain much from his posturing.

It's a shame he hasn't signed yet because I think he's easily one of our better prospects.

A lot of guys get overslot money Tony, but it bothers me when a guy wants a million over slot because he was a first round talent along the way. Part of me wants to tell the Orioles to get it done, but part of me wants to tell the kid to take it or leave it. If you want to run the risk of lowering your value and your contract by getting hurt or playing poorly then go right a head. It is not just advisors, a lot of the times it is the parents as well. Any parent that would say that a degree is more important than taking a million when you get the chance is not looking out for their kid. You go to school to learn so you can get your dream job and take care of yourself. How does it not get any better than playing baseball, making a million and giving yourself an opportunity to play in the big leagues and make upwards of a million a year even if you are average? Stupid kids.....

It's just stupidity and greed. these agents sink their teeth into these guys and tell them all this stuff about how great they are and how they should wait it out but meanwhile they are losing out on ABs. Unless the Orioles are low-balling him, he needs to get his butt signed and get into the system. If he thinks he so good, sign the contract and prove it in the minors. I wish contracts could be structured so the players takes some risk. He signs for slot and if he gets 450 at bats with the Orioles within three years of signing he gets a $500k bonus.

It's just stupidity and greed. these agents sink their teeth into these guys and tell them all this stuff about how great they are and how they should wait it out but meanwhile they are losing out on ABs. Unless the Orioles are low-balling him, he needs to get his butt signed and get into the system. If he thinks he so good, sign the contract and prove it in the minors. I wish contracts could be structured so the players takes some risk. He signs for slot and if he gets 450 at bats with the Orioles within three years of signing he gets a $500k bonus.

And this guy plays a position where there is a definite need in the organization. With the dearth of positional talent in the minors here, he could move quickly if he gets in here and proves himself.

Not a big deal. The first three rounds are protected if they dont sign. If he doesnt sign this year we wait till next year when they have HARD SLOTTING. We get just as good of a pick and one that is forced pretty much take what the league wants to give them.

He should sign.

Archived