2nd Round - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt University

I think both sides have valid points (and this has been discussed in the past). Considering this could be the biggest check the kid ever receives and also considering the rules are fairly stacked in favor of MLB in terms of when Esposito will see free agency (not to mention the mlb creation of what "slot" is - which is part of what makes the US draft one of the best values around in amateur signings), I have no issue with holding out. (The irony is that there would be situations where a kid expecting second round $ and going in the second round would be better off just taking a check for slot and doing it without an agent. Some of these kids would be better off being advised by a parent or family friend and not hiring an agent until something goes awry in the draft.)

Finally, while Tony has made a good point that the kid should be eager to start his career asap, I think a counterpoint would be whether it says something negative about the character of a kid if he is going to sell himself for less than his value. Maybe there is something to be said for sticking up for one's full value.

Since so few early round kids are signed, I am not sure why this is particular second rounder has caused such a reaction at this time.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Joe is getting a little frustrated according to the Sun. Glad to hear he's sticking with his offer. As much as I want to see the O's bring in talent, at the end of the day he can use that money to work on Delmonico or another overslot guy if Esposito is so out of whack with his value. Sounds like someone thinks a little too highly of himself.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/07/jordan_on_draftees_talking_wit.html

"Jordan did express some frustration that the club has been unable to make any progress in negotiations with their second-round selection, Jason Esposito, a third baseman from Vanderbilt.

“We were hopeful that Esposito would be out playing by now, and that’s not the case,” Jordan said. “We’re quite a ways apart. It’s just one of those things. I wish it was different. He needs to be playing and he’s not. Unless something changes, he’s not going to be for a while unfortunately. We’ve got a big difference in opinion right now, and we’re going to hang in where we’re at.”

“Hopefully, it’s the decision that we want them to make at the terms that we want them to make it at,” Jordan said. “We have priorities and some guys are going to have to show me they want them to play or they’re going to be going back to school. It’s no different than any other year.”

If I'm Esposito, I'm negotiating for every $$ I can get, I'm sitting out summer league ball so I don't risk losing value to injury and/or a slump and I'm letting it be known to the Orioles that I'm working out extremely hard on a daily basis in preparation of getting started.

I don't buy this talk about just taking what is offered. That would be foolish if the difference is more than 90% of Americans make in a year.

At the same time, he has to figure out what his actual leverage really is and adjust, if necessary. It seems to me that Delmonico, Reutiger and Coats are sitting there as fall-back options if Esposito doesn't sign.

What is the realistic chance that in the new CBA that they will move up the signing date? I think it makes sense for all those involved. You are going to get the same money on July 15th as you do on August 15th. So why waste the chance to start your clock for an extra 9 months by waiting until August? Makes no sense.

What is the realistic chance that in the new CBA that they will move up the signing date? I think it makes sense for all those involved. You are going to get the same money on July 15th as you do on August 15th. So why waste the chance to start your clock for an extra 9 months by waiting until August? Makes no sense.

Stotle seems to think there's a good possibility.

Just a little update from a bird close to the situation. Esposito knew the Orioles number before the draft and said he wanted to "go play." Apparently that has changed and now they are very far apart. The Orioles are at a point that they are looking at using his money for above slot guys later in the draft. Unfortunately it appears Esposito is not a young man of his word. Like I've said before, Jordan and company have a good record of knowing what it will take to get guys and only when guys "change their minds" do they run into issue like this. Perhaps Esposito will get some good advice and realize he's got a much better chance of hurting himself financially and developmentally by not signing then by signing.

Just a little update from a bird close to the situation. Esposito knew the Orioles number before the draft and said he wanted to "go play." Apparently that has changed and now they are very far apart. The Orioles are at a point that they are looking at using his money for above slot guys later in the draft. Unfortunately it appears Esposito is not a young man of his word. Like I've said before, Jordan and company have a good record of knowing what it will take to get guys and only when guys "change their minds" do they run into issue like this. Perhaps Esposito will get some good advice and realize he's got a much better chance of hurting himself financially and developmentally by not signing then by signing.

From what I've heard, he believes he can be a top 10 type pick in 2012. If he truly believes that then I don't blame him for going back to school. Not saying I agree with the assessment, but if he thinks he is leaving $1M on the table I doubt he is going to be reasoned into signing. If Jordan believes he is a 1st Round talent, I'd think BAL would be willing to go a little over slot. I don't know how many later round "overslotters" are going to be worth their likely demanded price. I'd hope BAL was planning on signing Coats anyway, but if they don't sign Esposito they absolutely need to make Coats happen.

From what I've heard, he believes he can be a top 10 type pick in 2012. If he truly believes that then I don't blame him for going back to school. Not saying I agree with the assessment, but if he thinks he is leaving $1M on the table I doubt he is going to be reasoned into signing. If Jordan believes he is a 1st Round talent, I'd think BAL would be willing to go a little over slot. I don't know how many later round "overslotters" are going to be worth their likely demanded price. I'd hope BAL was planning on signing Coats anyway, but if they don't sign Esposito they absolutely need to make Coats happen.

If Esposito thinks that highly of himself then I agree, he needs to go back to school. He'll need a Laporta-type come back year though to get into the top ten as a senior, especially now that he will carry the stigma of being a tough sign and of questionable character since he went back on his original word. Jordan has a good reputation of judging these guys and this would be his highest draft pick he failed to sign. It's ashamed because the organization really needs to add talent to the system, but at some point you can't let the ego's of these young men get in the way of good business. Give in to unreasonable demands this year and expect that to continue in the future.

If Esposito thinks that highly of himself then I agree, he needs to go back to school. He'll need a Laporta-type come back year though to get into the top ten as a senior, especially now that he will carry the stigma of being a tough sign and of questionable character since he went back on his original word. Jordan has a good reputation of judging these guys and this would be his highest draft pick he failed to sign. It's ashamed because the organization really needs to add talent to the system, but at some point you can't let the ego's of these young men get in the way of good business. Give in to unreasonable demands this year and expect that to continue in the future.

I agree that it is shady to fail to be upfront about overslot requests. I also would note that we are still four weeks from the deadline, and nothing is hurt by posturing. I doubt Baltimore would pull a deal if Espo came to them on Aug 15 and said he'd sign for slot, right?

Is there any reason to think that these guys (Esposito, Coats, Rudy) just don't want to play for BAL? It seems strange that so many guys are making things difficult as far as the signing goes. Also, Bundy seems to be playing a lot of hard ball too.

I agree that it is shady to fail to be upfront about overslot requests. I also would note that we are still four weeks from the deadline, and nothing is hurt by posturing. I doubt Baltimore would pull a deal if Espo came to them on Aug 15 and said he'd sign for slot, right?

That is exactly what happened with Givens.

I guess it will depend on whether the Orioles gave his money away. If Esposito comes back and is willing to take slot, I'm guessing Jordan could go back and get more money, but it would make him look very foolish to lose two months of professional at bats and end up taking what the O's offered initially. I would imagine on principle alone he goes back to school unless he's going to get overslot. I also imagine the Orioles are probably willing to go over a slot a bit to get this done, but it sounds like he's way too high on his number.

I guess it will depend on whether the Orioles gave his money away. If Esposito comes back and is willing to take slot, I'm guessing Jordan could go back and get more money, but it would make him look very foolish to lose two months of professional at bats and end up taking what the O's offered initially. I would imagine on principle alone he goes back to school unless he's going to get overslot. I also imagine the Orioles are probably willing to go over a slot a bit to get this done, but it sounds like he's way too high on his number.

Who cares if Jordan "needs more money"? Isn't the draft supposed to Baltimore's big focus? I fully support the idea of not giving out crazy bonuses for fear of setting precedent for future negotiations. At the same time, if Baltimore likes their guy they need to get him within reason. If they fail to sign Esposito, Coats and Delmonico, that will not look good.

Archived