What should be done with Guerrero?

jiminnj

Like it or not, they and we ultimately we as fans watching at home, have to show him respect.

I just can't ever agree with this. I bet you think Derek Jeter was a great defensive SS because he won all those awards for his defense at the position over the years. I mean if he's won all those gold glove he at least deserves our respect. And if not ours, Yankee fans should at least believe he can stay at the position based on his past history, right?

They owe that to him...

I just don't buy this argument. And if your manager isn't man enough to tell a vet he needs to sit down because he stinks...get a new manager. This is just a little too old school for me. I'm probably a bit more reactionary than others might be, but over 70 games you've had your chance to prove your worth. Past performances be damned. I don't owe Vlad a darn thing. He's never done anything valuable for the Orioles and right now I don't see any reason why I should be persuaded otherwise.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Vlad is currently 7th among Orioles with 50+ PAs in OPS, and it looks for all the world like he's about to be passed by Nick and Lee. It's possible that by mid-July he'll be the 9th-best hitter on the Orioles.

I know where he currenly sits in OPS but I still think he's one of the 5 best hitters on the team and will be the rest of the year. No matter where he is or ends up in OPS is irrelevant to my point unless he completely tanks the next month. As you said earlier, he's doing enough for Buck to keep playing him and not enough to be valuable or traded.

From Roch today on Showalter's pregame comments:

"Showalter said the club could "make an adjustment at some point" if it doesn't get more production from the cleanup spot."

So Buck is contemplating a change.

I just can't ever agree with this. I bet you think Derek Jeter was a great defensive SS because he won all those awards for his defense at the position over the years. I mean if he's won all those gold glove he at least deserves our respect. And if not ours, Yankee fans should at least believe he can stay at the position based on his past history, right?

They owe that to him...

I just don't buy this argument. And if your manager isn't man enough to tell a vet he needs to sit down because he stinks...get a new manager. This is just a little too old school for me. I'm probably a bit more reactionary than others might be, but over 70 games you've had your chance to prove your worth. Past performances be damned. I don't owe Vlad a darn thing. He's never done anything valuable for the Orioles and right now I don't see any reason why I should be persuaded otherwise.

Didn't word it right, you don't owe him that personally but you do as a fan of the O's who made the decision to sign him. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, baseball is oldschool. Provided he's healthy, I can promise you Vladdy isn't going to sit while he's here so get used to it.

We should trade him for Adam Dunn. Or maybe Dan Uggla. Or Chone Figgins.

Now those look like bad signings. Signing Vlad for only one year at $8 million with still another 80 plus games to go I wouldn't be so quick to judge it a bad signing.

How long do you wait on a 36 year old on a one-year deal whose only value is to hit, but isn't hitting at all? They've already given him 300 PAs. Even to just match his 2nd-worst season from a couple years ago he'd have to hit 9 homers and walk 10 times in his next ~120 PAs.

Roch had more to say about Guerrero today.http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/06/its-gone-wrong-for-guerrero.html

The piece is titled "It's gone wrong for Guerrero." Roch has thinks from Showalter's comments that Vlad has until the All-Star break to get it going or there will be changes.

Another note, Vlad's OPS has now fallen below the .700 mark, it stands at .699 this morning

Edit: Showalter making these comments to the press is really quite interesting. He is basically publicly putting Vlad on notice that he has to be it going.

No, Vlad is currently 7th among Orioles with 50+ PAs in OPS, and it looks for all the world like he's about to be passed by Nick and Lee. It's possible that by mid-July he'll be the 9th-best hitter on the Orioles.

I won't speculate about whether Vlad will improve from here, or remain static or decline. He certainly is not one of the 3 or 4 best hitters on the team right now.

There is zero chance that the Orioles will release Vlad, in my opinion. Players of his stature simply aren't dumped in that way, no matter how poorly they do. At worst, they'll start cutting into his playing time. So, I will just cross my fingers and hope he heats up.

As a fan, I understand where both of you are coming from but if you're in Buck's shoes, in the clubhouse every night staring at an aging HOfer who, while nowhere near his glory years, is still one of your 3 or 4 best hitters on your team it's a little tougher to say go sit the bench. Everyone who said before the season this wasn't a good signing, would take ABs away from younger guys, etc can crow. The O's signed up for this though, they knew Vlad's status as an everyday, middle of the lineup hitter that is closing in on career miletones. Like it or not, they and we ultimately we as fans watching at home, have to show him respect.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnv-BYb8MM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnv-BYb8MM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

"Yeah, but Vladdy, we all know, he's not conventional. You keep trying to trust that, if there's such a thing," Showalter said.

"If we have to make an adjustment at some point, we will. We'll see how it goes between now and the All-Star break."

It's past time to make that adjustment Buck. The ASB is less than 2 weeks away and its obvious to everyone in Baltimore that Vlad is done.

The bat speed is gone for Vlad. The book is to pitch him inside and then get him to reach away where he weakly rolls over. All of baseball knows this and since the MacPhail gave him $8 million, the Orioles need to give him a whole half before declaring he's finished. Unfortunately, this is not a slump, this is the end of a great career. They should cut their losses and give these at bats to Reimold. It's time for them to see what Nolan can do as an everyday guy.

The bat speed is gone for Vlad. The book is to pitch him inside and then get him to reach away where he weakly rolls over. All of baseball knows this and since the MacPhail gave him $8 million, the Orioles need to give him a whole half before declaring he's finished. Unfortunately, this is not a slump, this is the end of a great career. They should cut their losses and give these at bats to Reimold. It's time for them to see what Nolan can do as an everyday guy.

This. Scott was a better option at DH before the season started and even though he hasn't exactly set the world on fire either he is still a better option by 50 OPS points. I would much rather a lineup containing Scott and Reimold than Vlad, he has been nothing short of the worst case scenario so far. Hell, I would rather watch Jake Fox getting the DH at bats.

Archived