What should be done with Guerrero?

jiminnj

It was definitely a bad signing...But putting that aside, you need to try and save some money(put towards picks?) and get something back.

Huff got back a prospect that was used to get Hardy. You acquire as much depth as possible.

One month will not hurt any decision making or anything like that when it comes to Reimold and Pie.

You give Vlad the month and see what happens.

He will miss the first 3 games of the month when he goes to Atlanta. He then goes to Boston and Texas, 2 parks he has had success...Then, you get the AS break. We are talking about playing another 20ish games in an Orioles uniform..That's really not that much at all. if you want to drop him down to 6th or 7th in the batting order, so be it...No problems there.

Who might me interested in Vlad if he got hot? It would have to be an AL team with a chance in the playoff races.

Teams in playoff hunt and current DH

Boston - Big Pappy

NYY - Posada

TB - Damon

CWS - Dunn

Detroit - V. Martinez

Clev - Haffner

Minn (in the race?) - Thome

Texas - Young

Angels - Abreu

Seattle - Cust

Oakland (6 out if race?) - Matsui

The only two who could be replaced IMO are Matsui and Cust, both have OPS's in the mid .600s. Not many trading partners for Vlad, even if he gets hot for 20 games. The chances of getting anything for him are very remote.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who might me interested in Vlad if he got hot? It would have to be an AL team with a chance in the playoff races.

Teams in playoff hunt and current DH

Boston - Big Pappy

NYY - Posada

TB - Damon

CWS - Dunn

Detroit - V. Martinez

Clev - Haffner

Minn (in the race?) - Thome

Texas - Young

Angels - Abreu

Seattle - Cust

Oakland (6 out if race?) - Matsui

The only two who could be replaced IMO are Matsui and Cust, both have OPS's in the mid .600s. Not many trading partners for Vlad, even if he gets hot for 20 games. The chances of getting anything for him are very remote.

Seattle is the team that jumps out at me..Plus, you don't know what could happen with injuries.

And a remote chance is still a chance and that is more important than getting 50-80 at bats for Reimold.

Seattle is the team that jumps out at me..Plus, you don't know what could happen with injuries.

And a remote chance is still a chance and that is more important than getting 50-80 at bats for Reimold.

If Reimold was put in right now as the full time LF, he would end up with 350-400 total PA for the year (he has 56 right now). That should give a very good idea of whether he can be a part of the Os future or not. You start cutting into that number and doubts about the assessment from this year would increase. Reimold is the one positional player in the system right now who could be a part of the future and who is ready to be evaluated now. We are putting it off on the very remote chance that Vlad might be traded and someone will eat part of his salary and/or send us a low level prospect. Cut the losses on this bad signing and look to the future. Sit Vlad now and use him as a pinch hitter and an occasional DH sub for Scott (against tough LHP). Maybe we could use him more if we trade Lee or Scott.

Play him the rest of the season and try to get the pick for him.

If he really stinks, don't offer him arbitration, but if he picks it up quite a bit like he did then you can offer him arbitration, have him turn it down and get a pick for him.

We're playing for next year and beyond now anyway.

Play him the rest of the season and try to get the pick for him.

If he really stinks, don't offer him arbitration, but if he picks it up quite a bit like he did then you can offer him arbitration, have him turn it down and get a pick for him.

We're playing for next year and beyond now anyway.

The pick option isn't going to be there...He isn't going to turn down arbitration.

If Reimold was put in right now as the full time LF, he would end up with 350-400 total PA for the year (he has 56 right now). That should give a very good idea of whether he can be a part of the Os future or not. You start cutting into that number and doubts about the assessment from this year would increase. Reimold is the one positional player in the system right now who could be a part of the future and who is ready to be evaluated now. We are putting it off on the very remote chance that Vlad might be traded and someone will eat part of his salary and/or send us a low level prospect. Cut the losses on this bad signing and look to the future. Sit Vlad now and use him as a pinch hitter and an occasional DH sub for Scott (against tough LHP). Maybe we could use him more if we trade Lee or Scott.

70 less PA isn't going to change things.

Plus, Scott needs to be out in LF and show he can play out there.

Vlad, lee and Scott need to play pretty much everyday between now and July 31.

Send Reimold down and let him get hot in AAA and you scout him down there.

I usually am all for going with the younger player but in this instance, playing the vets everyday so that we can hopefully trade them is the smarter path to take.

The pick option isn't going to be there...He isn't going to turn down arbitration.

Yeah, there is zero chance he turns down arbitration. I just think we are stuck with Vlad all the way around. There won't be a market for him and out of respect I think Buck will continue to run him out there 5 or 6 days a week in August in September.

If he ends the year with decent enough stats, what about offering him arbitration with the hope of obtaining compensation picks? "Decent enough" then must be defined. For instance, what if Vlad picks it up and ends the year hitting .310/.340/.440 with 20 HRs? Not super likely, but certainly possible if he gets hot. IF HE ENDS UP WITH THESE OR SIMILAR NUMBERS, any chance of offering arbitration?

Edit: I see my post is late and thus redundant.

If he ends the year with decent enough stats, what about offering him arbitration with the hope of obtaining compensation picks? "Decent enough" then must be defined. For instance, what if Vlad picks it up and ends the year hitting .310/.340/.440 with 20 HRs? Not super likely, but certainly possible if he gets hot. IF HE ENDS UP WITH THESE OR SIMILAR NUMBERS, any chance of offering arbitration?

Edit: I see my post is late and thus redundant.

Not out of the realm of possibility, in 79 games last year (first half): 319/364/554 - 919 OPS

Next 66 games: 278/322/426 - 748 OPS

Granted, I don't see it happening. I can see him finishing with a 300-305 AVG with something like a 760 OPS, though.

He will if he doesn't like Baltimore and I'm not sure that he does...

That isn't good enough.

You've got to know for sure that he'll turn it down. Because if he takes it, then we'll be stuck with him for next year.

He had trouble drawing interest this past offseason, coming off of a good year, albeit down in the second half. This year, he's hit like he did last year in the second half. If he doesn't pick it up, he'll be lucky to draw any interest, at all.

That isn't good enough.

You've got to know for sure that he'll turn it down. Because if he takes it, then we'll be stuck with him for next year.

He had trouble drawing interest this past offseason, coming off of a good year, albeit down in the second half. This year, he's hit like he did last year in the second half. If he doesn't pick it up, he'll be lucky to draw any interest, at all.

Exactly. Judging by the market last year for him and aging DH's and his continued decline he's looking at 1 or 2 mil next year at best. He'll make 6 mil minimum if he accepts arbitration. He doesn't dislike Baltimore that much. Plus, if Baltimore offers and he accepts they'll be forced to play him and give him reg ABs which is something he's going to be looking for as he tries to reach some personal milestones .

those of you hoping he can comeback and finish with an OPS in the upper .700s, do you realize that he has put in a whole year of baseball, close to 700 ABs at under .700 OPS. Since July 1st of last year, he has had 685 plate appearances with an overall .697 OPS. Why people think that there is much hope for a rebound is beyond me. Vlad WAS a great player, he is no longer, he is basically finished.

He will if he doesn't like Baltimore and I'm not sure that he does...

So when a big free agent doesn't want to come to Baltimore, all we have to do is pay him 20% more than the next highest bidder, but Vlad hates the city so much that he won't jump at the chance to get four times what he'd get on the open market?

I agree with others, no chance Vlad turns down arbitration.

Keep play him but he doesn't have to bat fourth. If Lee shows he is going to continue his surge then Lee should bat fourth. Depending what others hitters do Vlad could move further down the order.

Vlad will pass through waivers after August 1st. No one will want to pick up that salary even if they do not have to give up a player.

At a .280 batting average, hitting in the bottom third of the order, Vlad is not killing the team. That is where he probably ends up the year. His playing time will probably get cut after August 1st if he doesn't start hitting better.

Archived