Reynolds as a trade candidate?

baltimorebirds

Although it hasn't been discussed, he is hitting .329 over his last month and now has 20 HRs. Although he is a strikeout machine and has a ton of errors this season (more than career average) I wonder what his trade worth would be, especially with him being signed through 2012.

Here are playoff contenders that could use a 3B upgrade:

Detroit: more power than Inge, not as good defensively

Cleveland: They need help at 3B, although they just called up top prospect Chinsenhall

Anaheim: Reynolds is a serious offensive upgrade

Seattle: Figgins just has not been that good in Seattle and is splitting time with Adam Kennedy

Cincinnati: Rolen isn't what he used to be in the power department

Milwaukee: Casey McGehee has been terrible all season

Colorado: They have Wigginton has their starter at 3B. Reynolds would hit it out of Coors Field every night.

Anyone out there know of any decent prospects from these teams that we could get for Reynolds? Any chance any of these happen?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why not? The truth is, I think Reynolds has hurt us more than he has helped us. His defense and his K's kill us sometimes. His HRs are in bunches and moonshots but aren't necessarily difference makers. Did we need his two HRs tonight win we lost 13-4? Why not trade him while he is hot?

If we aren't competitive with "definite Major League talent" and our offense has been terrible with that talent, then why keep them around? Why not trade them to rebuild our farm system? Yes, it is hypothetical minor league talent, but that hypothetical talent could eventually lead us back to a competitive team. Mark Reynolds won't be on the team anyway when that happens.

why not? The truth is, I think Reynolds has hurt us more than he has helped us. His defense and his K's kill us sometimes. His HRs are in bunches and moonshots but aren't necessarily difference makers. Did we need his two HRs tonight win we lost 13-4? Why not trade him while he is hot?

He has been hot for a while plus he has hit plenty of impact homers including today when he hit one to give us a 2-0 lead, he hit the go ahead homer in Atlanta too. He is also our best offensive player (XBH, OBP).

Why do we have trade threads every time someone gets hot? Finally get a masher in the lineup with 40 homer power and people want to trade him.

I don't understand...two homers tonight and you're upset because we lost 13-4? Would you rather have him not hit 2 homers and not increased his trade value?

Why do we have trade threads every time someone gets hot? Finally get a masher in the lineup with 40 homer power and people want to trade him.

I don't understand...two homers tonight and you're upset because we lost 13-4? Would you rather have him not hit 2 homers and not increased his trade value?

Moose, you just made my point. He did hit two HRs and he did increase his trade value. I am happy that he is hitting bombs out of the ballpark, but we aren't winning.

Yes, he did win the game for us in Atlanta, but my point is that if we lose 13-4, his two HRs don't make a difference. We would've lost anyway. And even the Atlanta game that we won, is one loss in a failed season worth potential prospects for the future that will make us better in the long run. We will not win with this lineup, so we should trade the parts that aren't cornerstones and won't be around when we do win. If we can get 1-2 legit prospects for him, then I would say trade him, at least before he goes cold again. Look what happen to Luke Scott. We should've traded him last year. He has been terrible this year, is hurt, is 33 years old, and has completely lost all trade value.

You need to prove your first couple sentences. Your last couple ones are inane, though. As though he's actively waiting for our pitchers to struggle to hit his homers. I'm sure you thought Sunday afternoon's was worthless, too.

I believe he leads the majors in errors. Somewhere on OH, although I couldn't find it when I searched, it was mentioned that because of all the runs he costs us in errors, it evens out with the runs he gets us with HRs. It was also mentioned how his K's hurt us. Even with the HRs, he has trouble getting a sac fly with a runner on third and less than two outs.

Inane?!? That is a little harsh, no? You are right. He won the game in Atlanta. Don't get me wrong - I've been a huge optimist for years and actually believed this was the year we turned it around, but we haven't. We aren't making the playoffs anytime soon. We aren't finishing .500 this season. So does his HR that won us the game in Atlanta matter? Does the win matter? Does it matter if we win 69 games or 70 games? Or would you rather have a couple of great prospects who could make us great in the future?

I am not saying to trade him, I just mentioned it has a suggestion. Josh Bell is hitting better average-wise and has 13 or 14 HRs at Triple-A. Would he be that much of a drop off from Reynolds? Would it be that big of a deal? To me, trading Reynolds makes more sense than trading a guy like Hardy.

The question of trading Reynolds has to do with one thing and one thing only: will he be productive on a contending O's team? If not, you have to trade him.
By this dictum, you have to trade Guthrie, Scott, Jones, Markakis, Reynolds, Hardy, DLee, Vlad, Koji, Gregg, and JJ. If our core is Wieters, Britton, Matsz, and Arrieta, we "mine as well" trade them too.

Archived