Reynolds as a trade candidate?

baltimorebirds

Moose, you just made my point. He did hit two HRs and he did increase his trade value. I am happy that he is hitting bombs out of the ballpark, but we aren't winning.

Yes, he did win the game for us in Atlanta, but my point is that if we lose 13-4, his two HRs don't make a difference. We would've lost anyway. And even the Atlanta game that we won, is one loss in a failed season worth potential prospects for the future that will make us better in the long run. We will not win with this lineup, so we should trade the parts that aren't cornerstones and won't be around when we do win. If we can get 1-2 legit prospects for him, then I would say trade him, at least before he goes cold again. Look what happen to Luke Scott. We should've traded him last year. He has been terrible this year, is hurt, is 33 years old, and has completely lost all trade value.

You can't blame Reynolds for us losing. He's the only real hot player we have, the only real homer threat & an everyday player. Yes, he has tons of errors, but it isn't like those errors have been causing a ton on unearned runs. I say build around Reynolds, don't trade him. What other power do we have? None. Lee & Vlad hot homers so infrequently, so they can't shoulder the load.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think the Int' market is volatile..You think trading vets for prospects is volatile.

Are you Andy MacPhail?

MacPhail's formula:

(VM-FAASP-IM+FAO35H+MFARP+PDD)------percolation------> Failure

VM=Volatile Market

FAASP=Free Agent Ace SP

IM=International Market

FAO30H=Free Agents Over 35yo Hitters

MFARP=Mediocres Free Agents RP

PD=Poor Drafting and Developing

You think the Int' market is volatile..You think trading vets for prospects is volatile.

Are you Andy MacPhail?

Once again you are missing the point.

Sometime in the future we are going to have to build a team around a core. I have no problems trading vets, and have advocated trading Hardy, Guthrie, Vlad, Lee, Scott, Gregg, Uehara, and Jim Johnson in serveral threads.

Its this idea that trading Reynolds, Jones, and Markakis and combining those prospects with our young players to form this youth movement contending for pennants that I think is illogical. Young players by nature are fickle, and by the time those prospects develop and produce at a consistent rate the group of Matusz, Arrieta, Reimold, Wieters will all be close to free agency.

The Rays had a core of several players that were on the team that won 66 games in 2007 and then went on to win the pennant in 2008. The core of Upton, Crawford, Pena, Navarro, Iwamura, Shields, Jackson, Sonnastine, and Kazmir can easily be matched from the Orioles with Jones, Markakis, Reynolds, Wieters, Hardy (possibly), Arrieta, Britton and Matusz.

In comparison, the question is can McPhail find/buy a Longoria, Garza, and Bartlett type talent?

Archived