Bigger Bust?

Hank Scorpio

Who's the bigger disappointment?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the bigger disappointment?

I don't think a 25 year old catcher who is on pace for a 4+ fWAR season can even be considered a bust. If some want to use the word bust to mean disappointing to the tune of only being 70% or so as valuable as hoped for, then that's there prerogative. It's not how most people use it though.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, no, that's not what I'm saying, at all. Obviously I can't predict the future so I assumed the poll meant right now, at 8:46 on September 19, 2011 and I am more disappointed in Wieters. I also happen to think Wieters has more upside and am excited about how he's finishing his season.

Sorry if this upsets you.

That doesn't upset me. I guess you just don't know what "bust" means.

Or, say, "biggest bust in the history of the franchise."

Yea because ambiguous terms like "bust" tend to have strict definitions.

Carry on.

The term "biggest bust in franchise history" is indeed a rather strict definition. You specifically said that Matt Wieters was THE biggest bust in franchise history. A definitive, precise statement such as that allows for very little room for varied interpretations.

Finally Wieters gets on the board.

Hall of Fame expectations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wieters has been in the league a little over two years. As a catcher, he has had to learn all hitters in the league, work with numerous young pitchers in Baltimore, AND work on his swing from both sides of the plate. He hasn't lit the world on fire yet, but I'd say he's had a VERY solid season and to label him anywhere near a bust is the most ridiculous thing I have seen. This thread MAY have had merit two months ago, but that's why you play a whole season. This thread is ridiculous and the vote is showing it.

EDIT: After reading through the rest of the thread, I see Hank got me. Shame on me for falling for his trap!

Archived