Angelos interview in PressBox

FellsPointOsFan

This bothers me:

While I admire the fact that Angelos doesn't want to raise ticket prices to a point where fans can't go to ballgames as often as they'd like, I don't like that he tries to use that excuse to justify not spending.

I agree that $14.5 million a year to pitch every fifth day is ludicrous, but that's baseball. Pete says he doesn't like to lose (which I do believe) but he can't go on believing he can win by making bargain signings. If in 2008 we're a starting pitcher away from contending then Pete had damn well better open up his pocket book and toss all the money he has at said pitcher.

Although his quotes about ticket prices probably sound good to many, I think it's actually an indication that he's not a good businessman and takes his role as Robin Hood a little too seriously. He should be charging the maximum amount for his tickets that is supportable in a sound business model. If he did that and re-invested the money in the team, then the payroll would be much higher, higher quality product, more money, more wins, everyone is happy. If the O's were winning then he could easily charge more money per ticket (and will if they ever start winning).

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pay no attention to the words. The words mean nothing from this man. Almost everything he says here is either a lie or a twisting of the truth to suit his agendas.

The jist of a lot of it is he's somehow blaming the losses on Baltimore being such a small market and having such low ticket prices, etc, etc. Well who's responsible for that? PETER ANGELOS. This team was the cream of the crop a decade ago.

Stop trying to pretend its the fans' fault, your arse!

Also worth mentioniing is this tidbit about the "Orioles" name:

It wouldn't take anything in particular. It would be a decision really to revamp the uniform to some extent. And we would have to address that, and that may very well be done. I don't really have a problem with that. I might also want to designate the team as Maryland's baseball team. I have had complaints from Marylanders living outside the Baltimore Metro area, complaining we always talk about Baltimore…so maybe a combination might work.

Get ready for the Maryland Orioles...

WE DO?! You mean like how the only place Baltimore is even written in the stadium is on the Baltimore Sun ad on the scoreboard?

This bothers me:

While I admire the fact that Angelos doesn't want to raise ticket prices to a point where fans can't go to ballgames as often as they'd like, I don't like that he tries to use that excuse to justify not spending.

I agree that $14.5 million a year to pitch every fifth day is ludicrous, but that's baseball. Pete says he doesn't like to lose (which I do believe) but he can't go on believing he can win by making bargain signings. If in 2008 we're a starting pitcher away from contending then Pete had damn well better open up his pocket book and toss all the money he has at said pitcher.

I like how he apparently invites people to understand the finances more, as if his books were open. What a liar!!!!

Although his quotes about ticket prices probably sound good to many, I think it's actually an indication that he's not a good businessman and takes his role as Robin Hood a little too seriously. He should be charging the maximum amount for his tickets that is supportable in a sound business model. If he did that and re-invested the money in the team, then the payroll would be much higher, higher quality product, more money, more wins, everyone is happy. If the O's were winning then he could easily charge more money per ticket (and will if they ever start winning).
Captain Obvious, come on down! ;)

No, you're absolutely right. He thinks that having a cheap product is better than having a quality product.

There's no reason he can't keep upper deck tickets cheap, increase the skyboxes and box seats a little, and finance a winning team.

I don't believe a single word you say, Pete. Open your books and prove me wrong, if you dare.

The low ticket prices are nice, but do you lose more fans by keeping ticket prices low and fielding a loser or raising ticket prices and increase your chances of fielding a winner? Like it or not, you've got to keep up with the Jones's.

I liked the interview but he still has the same attitude of not overspending for a player.

You've got it backwards. You field a winner first and THEN you can raise ticket prices.

Let's not pretend Angelos is some sort of great guy. He CAN'T raise ticket prices because he'd only have fans in the stadium 19 times per year (Red Sox and Yankees fans). You might recall he raised prices significantly after getting Tejada and Lopez and still saw an increase in attendance. Don't fool yourselves. If he could raise ticket prices, he'd do it in a flash.

The Fan Cost Index which includes: two adult average price tickets; two child average price tickets; four small soft drinks; two small beers; four hot dogs; two programs; parking; and two adult-size caps.

The cost of Orioles baseball using the FCI is below average. Both Yankees and Red Sox games are significantly more expensive.

Just curious... Would O's fans be okay if the average ticket price was doubled to $44 if it came with a guarantee of a Red Sox like $120m payroll? How about a 50% increase to $33 if it came with a guarantee of a $100m payroll?

I haven't seen this posted, so...

The most important question is the first one:

This deal with MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network), the estimates are that the valuation of the team and the network is near $1 billion. Is that accurate?

I don't think so. If you know someone who wants to pay that (chuckling), you ought to send them over to talk to me.

So, we need to pool a billion dollars between us! :cool:

The Fan Cost Index which includes: two adult average price tickets; two child average price tickets; four small soft drinks; two small beers; four hot dogs; two programs; parking; and two adult-size caps.

The cost of Orioles baseball using the FCI is below average. Both Yankees and Red Sox games are significantly more expensive.

Just curious... Would O's fans be okay if the average ticket price was doubled to $44 if it came with a guarantee of a Red Sox like $120m payroll? How about a 50% increase to $33 if it came with a guarantee of a $100m payroll?

Red Sox fans and Yankees fans aren't guaranteed certain levels of payroll. They're guaranteed WINNING!

We'll my hopes of the O's becoming players in free agency just went down the toilet. Given his statement about Oswalt's contract, it doesn't appear that the O's are going to adapt to the market any time soon.

It's great that Pete thinks pitchers don't deserve 14 million a year, now he just needs to convince every other owner in baseball the same thing, then maybe we'll actually be able to sign a good pitcher.

Archived