Yoennis Cespedes?

sloppyjoe

MIN is the one I wasn't 100% on I thought I saw them but it might have been someone else. Was trying to do it off the top of my head. The rest are IN on him and the bidding is climbing already. That rumored $25-30m thing looks quite short right now.

I was off, it was CLE, not MIN. I knew it was a central team, and not KC, who I thought was a good fit.

What is your source for this. I don't see why the Yankee's would be that interested in him. WAS. MIA. and TOR yes, and maybe DET and BOS.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cespedes-may-not-become-free-agent-for-two-months.html

Here is A SOURCE that pretty much says the same thing, but I've heard from some people some of these teams are VERY in on him. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cespedes-may-not-become-free-agent-for-two-months.html

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was off, it was CLE, not MIN. I knew it was a central team, and not KC, who I thought was a good fit.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cespedes-may-not-become-free-agent-for-two-months.html

Here is A SOURCE that pretty much says the same thing, but I've heard from some people some of these teams are VERY in on him. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cespedes-may-not-become-free-agent-for-two-months.html

They may be "very in," and the final price may exceed the $25-30 million that was estimated, but that's largely irrelevant, IMO. The point of my post was that the O's should be looking closely, irrespective of whether the price eventually exceeds what should be considered acceptable.

At any rate...we'll see where the bidding goes. I suspect that many teams would drop out if his price indeed moves well beyond the 25-30 range. Something in the neighborhood of 5/35ish wouldn't shock me, but $8-10 million per year would. Part of the reason so many teams are interested (talent notwithstanding) has to be that Cespedes should cost less than "proven" ML talent of the same caliber.

They may be "very in," and the final price may exceed the $25-30 million that was estimated, but that's largely irrelevant, IMO. The point of my post was that the O's should be looking closely, irrespective of whether the price eventually exceeds what should be considered acceptable.

At any rate...we'll see where the bidding goes. I suspect that many teams would drop out if his price indeed moves well beyond the 25-30 range. Something in the neighborhood of 5/35ish wouldn't shock me, but $8-10 million per year would. Part of the reason so many teams are interested (talent notwithstanding) has to be that Cespedes should cost less than "proven" ML talent of the same caliber.

If you read where this thread exploded the other day, I was saying the same thing you are, so I'm not arguing against you. If it gets past a certain price the risk/reward really isn't beneficial anymore and it's better to take that money and spread it out on a bunch of smaller IFA signings.

To recap so you don't have to re-read everything, I was saying that I would be in on him for sure at $5-6m a year, maybe even up to $8 but I would want to look at him more in real video or in person before I would do either for sure. So yeah in general I was agreeing with you. Makes more sense if you were in on the whole crazy discussion more though.

I'm just saying that whether they look or not, it's not going to happen. One because I don't know if DD is going to have full reign changing the org. perspective on IFA that fast, and two, because these other teams are going to drive up the price way past what was being originally projected IMO. I know Nick (Stotle) said the other day that the O's signing him for $25m isn't going to happen, but I don't know if he was referencing the money or them signing him at all.

I know this guy is a talented player, but seriously, I can see a team like the Yankees or Mets throwing a ton of money at this guy and him being a flop. It doesn't matter to them, as they've got cash to spare.

I'd rather see us use the 30 million on 60 amateur players.

I know this guy is a talented player, but seriously, I can see a team like the Yankees or Mets throwing a ton of money at this guy and him being a flop. It doesn't matter to them, as they've got cash to spare.

I'd rather see us use the 30 million on 60 amateur players.

Or 90 even. 90 guys at 300k over 6 years would be a LOT of talent to evaluate, they'd have to bring back another low level team. I'm all for it though.

How would y'all feel about Jorge Soler?

From The Washington Post...

Soler is an athletic, 6-foot-3 outfielder who can play center field but will likely end up as a corner outfielder. His high upside and potential to hit for power has made him a player coveted by a gaggle of teams.

"He's got a Hanley Ramirez-type body," Nationals Director of International Scouting Johnny DiPuglia said. "Plus arm. Plus bat speed. He's a good kid, a good-energy kid."

The Nationals, Yankees, Cubs and Rangers are among the teams who have shown the most significant interest in Soler. People familiar with the situation expect Soler to sign a contract similar to, but likely richer than, the three-year, $15.5 million deal the Texas Rangers gave Cuban center fielder Leonys Martin.

Soler would probably need 800 to 1,000 at-bats in the minor leagues, and therefore would not be an immediate solution to the Nationals? search for a center fielder. But he has more upside than even Cespedes, who, at 26, has established his ability level and is ready to play in the major leagues.

How would y'all feel about Jorge Soler?

From The Washington Post...

Soler is a lot higher risk than Cespedes. It does kind of test my philosophy though. I think he needs 2 years in the minors to finish baking, so a 3 year deal is no-go for me, it'd have to be a 5-6 year deal to be worthwhile, and if he wants $5m per I don't do it. If he was looking for 5-6 years at $15m total I might take a shot at it.

Just a LOT more risk when you are dealing with a guy that has 2 legit tools, but needs to finish developing.

Told you ;)

I was cool with looking into it in the 5 year $30-35m range, but it's gotten pretty out of control already.

Hah...yes, indeed.

I just really can't understand how the "business" of baseball has gotten to the point where it's OK to dump million, and millions, and millions of dollars on players who come with so many question marks. It makes it somewhat difficult to enjoy sports in general, actually.

Hah...yes, indeed.

I just really can't understand how the "business" of baseball has gotten to the point where it's OK to dump million, and millions, and millions of dollars on players who come with so many question marks. It makes it somewhat difficult to enjoy sports in general, actually.

In 1923, Giant manager John McGraw made more than Babe Ruth - $65K for JJM* vice $52K for GHR. Source - "The House That Ruth Built", Weintraub, p. 125 (*not including stock options from his 25% share of Giant ownership). But, of course, that was prior to Curt Flood et al.

MLB brings in $8B a year, or thereabouts. Mainly because people will pay a lot of their disposable incomes to see baseball played at a high level. I don't think it's that absurd for teams to be willing to invest $5M a year (or maybe 3% of the Orioles' annual revenues, or 0.06% of baseball's annual revenues) on a kid who the scouts think could be a coming superstar.

Think of it as R&D money. If baseball doesn't make the investment in the future, other sports certainly will.

In 1923, Giant manager John McGraw made more than Babe Ruth - $65K for JJM* vice $52K for GHR. Source - "The House That Ruth Built", Weintraub, p. 125 (*not including stock options from his 25% share of Giant ownership). But, of course, that was prior to Curt Flood et al.

I liken that to the fact that Frank Beamer makes about 150 times the annual value of a scholarship for his players. Both pre-Flood baseball and NCAA sports are/were kind of bizarro worlds.

Archived