It's Time For the Percolator Part Deux (DD's comments at GM meeting)

BrunoCherrytown

A 4.50 ERA in a league with a 4.08. I'm not going to be bitterly disappointed with a 4.50, but the O's aren't going to win if their key starters are throwing to a 90 ERA+.

I just want to see improvement. I agree we won't be contenders with a bunch of 4.50 ERA starters. Last year our starters had a collective 5.39 ERA and only Guthrie was below 4.50. You've got to start somewhere.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have a short memory too. We "bought" Reynolds and Hardy. You can buy players with money and with other players.

Dude, you missed the point. Joey is implying that the fans were lied to last year when McPhail said that he would buy some bats. My point was - he did.

Bottom line: We brought in Lee, Guerrero, Hardy and Reynolds last year. We went from last place in 2010 to, well, last place in 2011. Throwing $$$ at Fielder, Pujols, Wilson, etc is not the answer this year. If you read b/t the lines, DD is sayng we need to focus on the player development system this year and not on overpaying the convetted FAs. BTW: I hear FL has an a $200M+ offer on the table for Pujols.

This. Though your point will be largely overlooked by those wishing to rant endlessly about adding talent - regardless of consequence.

I want CJ, too, but I'm not willing to give the guy a $100M contract when there is too much risk. I say go after international talent - find gems in the south american or asian markets that can be enticed to come here. CJ is just going to use a bidding war against all the teams desperate for his services - someone will be stupid and overpay badly for him.

If you look at the market this year, there are just too many deep-pocketed teams chasing not enough starters. The Yankees can afford to pay Wilson an astronomical salary...the Orioles should only give out those kinds of contracts to guys who are centerpieces. And I don't think Wilson is a centerpiece. He will be paid like one only because there aren't any better starters available this offseason.

Archived