It's Time For the Percolator Part Deux (DD's comments at GM meeting)

BrunoCherrytown

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That "shark" remark is really rubbing people the wrong way, but it is correct that if you aren't going to try to compete for the top free agent names, you are better off waiting it out than trying to be aggressive with the middle-market players.

I agree, and its obviously been our MO for years. But never has the GM come right out and said "we aren't even going to try for the best talent" which is what DD is saying here.

I still don't understand why they have to wait for the "sharks to feed"...it's not like the Orioles are going to be in the running to sign Fielder or Pujols. So why can't they identify the players they want and make offers they think is fair? Instead of waiting for the market to set itself, set the market yourself and potentially get a guy cheaper than he could be after guys like Pujols and Fielder DO end up setting the market???

Reality check:

1. O's aren't going to compete for the WS in 2012. Throwing $100M at a frontline FA pitcher would be insane.

2. At this point, we're fully commited to the "core". They will have to develop or the O's will not be competative for at least another 5 yrs. despite what they do in the FA market.

3. Its way too early to blow up the core (Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, etc).

4. Yes - we're "in between". If Matusz rediscovers his control/velocity, Arrieta pitches like he did pre-injury and Britton shows baby-steps of improvement, consider 2012 a smashing success.

The O's need Arrieta to pitch better then he did pre- injury, much better. He has good stuff but he didn't command it the way he needs to.

There is no secret sauce here. The organization needs to increase its amateur talent and improve player development and scouting and, after a couple of years, the light at the end of the tunnel becomes brighter. We have to convince top free agents they will win here before they will sign in Bmore anyway.

It is not worth the management time to pursue such fruitless endeavors in a meaningful way.

I still don't understand why they have to wait for the "sharks to feed"...it's not like the Orioles are going to be in the running to sign Fielder or Pujols. So why can't they identify the players they want and make offers they think is fair? Instead of waiting for the market to set itself, set the market yourself and potentially get a guy cheaper than he could be after guys like Pujols and Fielder DO end up setting the market???

I agree ....Why do you have to have the bottom feeders mentality?

The O's need Arrieta to pitch better then he did pre- injury, much better. He has good stuff but he didn't command it the way he needs to.

Depends on when you think he was injured. If he throws to a 4.50 ERA as he did through June, I will be satisfied. Yes, I'd like to see some improvement in command, but Jake gave us 12 quality starts in those 16 games and had a 9-4 record. He was pitching hurt in July and it showed.

Depends on when you think he was injured. If he throws to a 4.50 ERA as he did through June, I will be satisfied. Yes, I'd like to see some improvement in command, but Jake gave us 12 quality starts in those 16 games and had a 9-4 record. He was pitching hurt in July and it showed.

Looking at it that way is very encouraging. But for the O's to improve I'd like to see him under 4.00 ERA.

I guess it would have been nice for Duquette to say something like AA did...

•Anthopoulos said there are still so many options available that he doesn't expect to be too active this week, since it would close the door on too many other possibilities.

...but, with the Orioles it probably doesn't make a difference. (Sorry for the cynicism)

I wonder if he'll be "batting a thousand" after these meetings end...

And he was just talking about pitching, so we'll see what happens in other areas.

If they don't want Wilson or Buehrle, the trade market is always an option as well...

But I thought that Duke was going to be aggressive?! I thought he would never be like MacPhail?!

Good post. The truth is, the fate of the 2012 season rests largely on the pitchers who are already here and who haven't met expectations to date. Nothing Duquette does will change that.
Nothing Duq will do will change what the current talent does....but obviously, he(and Buck) can add to the talent and depth of the organization.

I think it is better to be honest with the fans, rather than getting them excited that the team is going to be very active in free agency and then not following through.

I will be honest, I couldn't care less how Duquette turns a phrase. My level of excitement in February will depend on the moves the team made, not how they were spun.

Nah, if he's going to do nothing, then I would rather him say nothing. This "eggs in one basket" approach (international market or the cavalry) while doing nothing for the 20K fans that are still left is getting old. We did get a new uni though.:thumbsup1:

Archived