Duquette not a big Markakis fan?

Going Underground

Ask new Orioles GM Dan Duquette about his team and he will tell you he really likes catcher Matt Wieters, shortstop J.J. Hardy and center fielder Adam Jones.

But what about Nick Markakis, his owner's fave and the team's highest-paid player?

Nick Markakis hasn't hit 20 home runs since 2008. (AP Photo)"I like Markakis," Duquette says. "He's a very popular player with our fans."

If that doesn't sound like an overwhelming endorsement, there's a reason. It isn't. Duquette has a problem with his new right fielder.

"How many home runs did he hit last year," Duquette asks.

Try 15.

"Is that what you want from a corner outfielder," Duquette says.

Probably not, especially playing in that ballpark.

"Exactly," Duquette says.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-11-17/os-gm-duquette-wants-more-power-from-markakis

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ask new Orioles GM Dan Duquette about his team and he will tell you he really likes catcher Matt Wieters, shortstop J.J. Hardy and center fielder Adam Jones.

But what about Nick Markakis, his owner's fave and the team's highest-paid player?

Nick Markakis hasn't hit 20 home runs since 2008. (AP Photo)"I like Markakis," Duquette says. "He's a very popular player with our fans."

If that doesn't sound like an overwhelming endorsement, there's a reason. It isn't. Duquette has a problem with his new right fielder.

"How many home runs did he hit last year," Duquette asks.

Try 15.

"Is that what you want from a corner outfielder," Duquette says.

Probably not, especially playing in that ballpark.

"Exactly," Duquette says.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-11-17/os-gm-duquette-wants-more-power-from-markakis

Wow. I think we'd ALL like to see a better slash line from Nick, but if he is going to be judged on Home Runs by his new GM, then I think we are ALL in for a long "Double D Era" in Baltimore. Mr. Duquette, Sir. There is more to a ballplayer than how many home runs he hits!

That said, I do like that Double D is trying to motivate the guys to do better. Aside from Wieters, Hardy, and Jones, DD has silently called out the entire team to do better! We'll see how that works out!

Tell you what, we are getting plain speak from Duquette! I like it! He's right though, in this day and age, 15 home runs from your right fielder is not going to cut it in the AL East. Markakis is a good piece to a good team, but he's not the kind of guy you build around.

Tell you what, we are getting plain speak from Duquette! I like it! He's right though, in this day and age, 15 home runs from your right fielder is not going to cut it in the AL East. Markakis is a good piece to a good team, but he's not the kind of guy you build around.

I agree Tony, but it's not like he's got a ton of protection in the lineup either.

I love this guy! If he can get PAs blessing and trade Nick and get some talent in return, do it! I love when he raves about the up the middle guys. I know SG wants to be rid of AJ but he is a kind of guy you build around and he is good for PR for the franchise.

I agree Tony, but it's not like he's got a ton of protection in the lineup either.

While that point isn't totally invalid, I don't think any excuses should be made. Do the other guys in the lineup who hit 20+ homers have more protection than Nick?

Honestly, I don't care too much about 20 HR, but 15 HR, 31 doubles, .284 BA, .351 OBP isn't enough. If it were 18 HR, 40 doubles, .295 BA, .370 OBP, I'd be fine with it.

Protection has nothing to do with Markakis' lack of power. He sees plenty of good pitches to hit. If his walks were at 100 and pitchers were always pitching around then I could agree, but what I see is a guy who doesn't do a ton in the off season to get stronger and guys who's power numbers are going in the wrong direction. Maybe this is a wake up call for Markakis or maybe Duquette will be able to trade him. I don't think anyone thinks Markakis does not have value, but no one should be off limits to trade. Duquette should be allowed to build the team how he wants.

It's one thing if he thinks you need more power coming from your rightfielder, which in this case, he, and everyone else is right. We should expect at least 20 home runs a season from Nick, and I don't think that's too unrealistic to ask. But, there is more to being a productive player than just hitting home runs (Mark Reynolds), and Nick provides that. I would hope that someone who is supposedly as smart as Dan Duquette realizes that.

Archived