Do you approve of DD's first trade?

ChaosLex

Do you approve of DD's first trade?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of DD's first trade?

No, he traded too much for a position that was a need but not one that is all that critical. Plenty of these types of guys floating around whenever you want to get them, no reason to trade anything of value to get one...and I say that even though I recognize and acknowledge that he does carry some upside and more than the normal back up C.

But I am pretty sure we will see multiple back ups out there this offseason that are DFA'ed, released, traded, NT or free agents.

I don't agree that there are plenty of guys like Teagarden floating around. Plenty of guys like Tatum? Yes... Teagarden is a better player all around, he's a notch above.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't agree that there are plenty of guys like Teagarden floating around. Plenty of guys like Tatum? Yes... Teagarden is a better player all around, he's a notch above.

No, he is potentially a notch above. The last 2 years, he has been worth .1 WAR..total.

His MIL offensive numbers show him to be a guy that perhaps can hit and will take a walk but he hasn't proven he can be any kind of offensive player since his first stint in the majors..in all of 47 at bats.

Other than that, there is no evidence at this level that he is a notch above anything, especially not if you are giving up a promising young arm and perhaps another one(Tony hinted that Martin is the other player).

I don't know if this is a case of people just being optimistic because they like DD or what but I just don't see how people can be excited by this and I see no reason for this poll answer to be so lopsided. A lot of orange kool aid going on.

Probably someone not as good as Randy Henry.

I think the real questions here are, "How many of you knew who Randy Henry was 24 hours ago? And if you did, did you rate him as an indispensable part of our system?"

I've known who Henry was and followed his career since he was drafted, as I do just about every Orioles minor leaguer, especially those taken in the first ten rounds. I wouldn't have considered him indispensable, but he's absolutely too much to give up for a backup catcher in my opinion. And if Miclat is the PTBNL, well then I don't get this at all.

If the Orioles could have traded Tatum or Fox for a guy of Randy Henry's caliber, plus another, that would have been a steal. And really, what is there that separates Teagarden from Tatum or Fox? He's better defensively than Fox, but with probably nowhere near the bat, and 2010 Tatum with a lower BA and more power is probably Teagarden's upside.

Really I guess I just don't see the wisdom in giving up anything for a backup catcher. Yes, Randy Henry is probably replaceable, but why should he have to be replaced when you can get someone just as good without giving him up?

Also, Henry has a career 5.0 K/BB and he more than held his own in a stint at Frederick at age 21 after dominating Delmarva. He was the youngest pitcher on the team and the third youngest player overall after Machado and Schoop (not counting Glynn Davis, who played in one game). Losing him isn't the end of the world, but it's not like he's organizational filler.

No, he is potentially a notch above. The last 2 years, he has been worth .1 WAR..total.

His MIL offensive numbers show him to be a guy that perhaps can hit and will take a walk but he hasn't proven he can be any kind of offensive player since his first stint in the majors..in all of 47 at bats.

Other than that, there is no evidence at this level that he is a notch above anything, especially not if you are giving up a promising young arm and perhaps another one(Tony hinted that Martin is the other player).

I don't know if this is a case of people just being optimistic because they like DD or what but I just don't see how people can be excited by this and I see no reason for this poll answer to be so lopsided. A lot of orange kool aid going on.

The pitcher we traded out of our Godawful farm system has been mentioned several times on this page alone, and I've already forgotten his name. Odds are decent that we never hear his name again in any ML capacity.

And even if we do, this is at worst a "who cares" situation. The poll's lopsidedness can probably be viewed in part as an equal/opposite reaction to your pointless whinging.

The pitcher we traded out of our Godawful farm system has been mentioned several times on this page alone, and I've already forgotten his name. Odds are decent that we never hear his name again in any ML capacity.

And even if we do, this is at worst a "who cares" situation. The poll's lopsidedness can probably be viewed in part as an equal/opposite reaction to your pointless whinging.

People can have the opposite reaction all they want...those people are also usually the ones who miss the big picture and have for years, so its not that surprising.

Henry is a decent prospect but let's not forget that he already had Tommy John surgery his senior year of high school. While he's completely healthy now and was likely going to get the chance to start in AA next season, he's no sure thing and may not even stick in the Rangers farm system beyond the 2012 season.

Henry is a decent prospect but let's not forget that he already had Tommy John surgery his senior year of high school. While he's completely healthy now and was likely going to get the chance to start in AA next season, he's no sure thing and may not even stick in the Rangers farm system beyond the 2012 season.

And TT could be DFA'ed by June.

What is with your hypos?

Everything is possible. Point absorbed. Why don't you just put a pin in this argument and say "ha!" in a year or two if what's-his-name actually makes a noticeable dent in the majors. In the meantime, Wieters has a defensive backup pre-June.

What is with your hypos?

Everything is possible. Point absorbed. Why don't you just put a pin in this argument and say "ha!" in a year or two if what's-his-name actually makes a noticeable dent in the majors. In the meantime, Wieters has a defensive backup pre-June.

One was proposed to me, so I proposed one back...Not really that difficult to figure out.

That's true, he could be but I doubt he would be. He has a strong arm and plays a good defense at Catcher. Not to mention his familiarity with some of the guys in our bullpen/on our roster. He has a good track record of working well with pitching staffs too.

One was proposed to me, so I proposed one back...Not really that difficult to figure out.

That is exactly right. They're airy, weightless, etc. At the least, you could make your point(s) in the future by alerting the board to other players who come available who would be better than TT at lower costs. Until then, the argument has no teeth.

That is exactly right. They're airy, weightless, etc. At the least, you could make your point(s) in the future by alerting the board to other players who come available who would be better than TT at lower costs. Until then, the argument has no teeth.

I have already said Shoppach. I would rather spend 1-2M on him and keep Henry and the other prospect than have TT.

And guys will become available and will be dealt, NT, etc...It happens all the time.

What happened here is that Buck said this is the guy I want and decided to make a trade because its what he wanted.

You may like that...I don't...Buck shouldn't be acting as the GM in any way.

Yeah, I'm not that crazy about it, but I'd rather have Buck making trades for guys he knows from the Rangers than AM making trades for guys he knows from the Cubs. Part of this (Buck's influence) is probably interim as DD hasn't really had the time to put an organizational structure in place.

I have already said Shoppach. I would rather spend 1-2M on him and keep Henry and the other prospect than have TT.

And guys will become available and will be dealt, NT, etc...It happens all the time.

What happened here is that Buck said this is the guy I want and decided to make a trade because its what he wanted.

I'll complain if Buck pushes successfully for the O's to do something really stupid, like sign ARam or Cuddyer. This move is borderline inconsequential.

Archived