• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok sounds like you agree Henson is pretty much worthless. So what is Jarret Martin's upside/value to the organization and what is unique about him?

You're basically arguing that any C prospect is worthless. Which is wrong.

The majority will bust. A decent amount will have short careers as journeymen or bench players. And a small percentage will have long and productive major league careers. And that upside is worth more than a best case of, like, 200 innings of a 4.50 ERA that lifts us from 74 to 76 wins,all from a player who will then go on to sign a bad contract with another team.

Should be easy for you to quote two examples in this thread that correlate with your analogy.
If I felt like taking the time, i would...But since I don't, I won't.

I can tell you that NcRaven made an argument similar to that in this thread...Search under him if you are so excited to see that.

If I felt like taking the time, i would...But since I don't, I won't.

I can tell you that NcRaven made an argument similar to that in this thread...Search under him if you are so excited to see that.

This?....
I think the real issue here is that SG and others believe we actually gave something of value up to get Teagarden and Eveland. Duquette pretty clearly didn't. Myself, I don't either and I don't even mind giving up Miclat. Players whose upside says utility guy are, as some here are so fond of saying, "a dime a dozen."

Every player we gave up was replaced in the draft (Henry/Martin vs. Wright/Simon), free agency or the Rule 5 (Miclat/Hudson vs. Antonelli/Tolleson/Flaherty). Not only were they all easily replaceable, they've already been replaced.

You're basically arguing that any C prospect is worthless. Which is wrong.

The majority will bust. A decent amount will have short careers as journeymen or bench players. And a small percentage will have long and productive major league careers. And that upside is worth more than a best case of, like, 200 innings of a 4.50 ERA that lifts us from 74 to 76 wins,all from a player who will then go on to sign a bad contract with another team.

I'm not saying a C prospect is worthless. I think Henson is essentially worthless. I admitted I don't know enough about Martin. I asked you to provide me soemthing compelling, because I haven't seen it. I'm just saying that Eveland has value and he's not something you can asssume you're just going to get for free. I disagree with that, though it could have been possible. If you're going to take the position every prospect is a unique snowflalke, I'm going to take the position that volatile pitchers and Evleland himslef is a unique snowflake. He's better than Reyes imo probably better than Bergy. I like his Minor League track record. I like he's an extreme GB pitcher with a low HR rate. I'm going to accept that we may have the ability to scout players and see something and this isn't only done by looking at stats on a spreadsheet. I'm gonna believe DD and company see something they like and believe Eveland may have some upside. Say he could make it as a BOR that would be huge. Also, time is money and I like the idea of guys that have decent Mil track records and ML exposure. Among other things, he could free us up to deal Guthrie and provide us something in a trade.

This is 100% correct. Yes, every prospect is a unique snowflake, but at a certain point, you can predict, and predict well, the success rate of certain classes of prospects - in the same way that every at-bat is a completely deterministic event given enough information that is also accurately described by the probability of the hitter's batting average.

Also, I'd rather hoard prospects than horde them. :D

Horde, hoard, whored. Whathaveyou. ;)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.736431,-73.993490

You've basically named many of the reasons why our reactions should be negative. The Orioles have plenty of 4/5 starter types. Eveland doesn't add anything the O's didn't already have. What they need is more 1-3 starter types.

They need to add both, in my opinion. I don't think you can ever really have enough 5 starter types...it seems like every year we get down to a point in the season where it doesn't look like we have a pitcher capable of throwing 5 innings and giving up no more than 3 runs. Every single year. Eveland just becomes another AAAA guy that we can lean on when necessary. Also, the more you stockpile pitching, the more likely that you find a diamond in the rough...not an ace but a Rodrigo Lopez or Jamie Moyer during his stint with the Orioles. Just somebody who surprises you a little bit, and turns out to be a serviceable starter. If Duquette has reasons to think that Eveland is a worthy gamble in that respect, I'm okay with the trade.

I better get my holiday 4-pack.

I just bought it, and they raised the friggin price again. Opening Day plus three other games is now #119. For the wife and I, with the Ticketmaster charges and stuff, cost me over $250. For 4 friggin lousy ass Orioles games.

Maybe I'll get lucky and see Dana starting on Opening Day? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying a C prospect is worthless. I think Henson is essentially worthless. I admitted I don't know enough about Martin. I asked you to provide me soemthing compelling, because I ahvent seen it. I'm just saying that Eveland has value and he's not something you can asssume you're just going to get for free. I disagree with that, though it could have been possible. If you're going to take the position every prospect is a unique snowflalke I'm going to take the position that volatile pitchers are unique snowflakes. He's better than Reyes and imo probably better than Bergy. I like his Minor League track record. I'm going to accept that we may have the ability to scout players and see something and this isn't only done by looking at stats on a spreadsheet. I'm gonna believe DD and comapny see something they like and believe Eveland may have some upside. Say he could make it as a BOR that would be huge. Also, time is money and I like the idea of guys that have decent Mil track records and ML exposure. Among other things, he could free us up to deal Guthrie and provide us something in a trade.
Yea...negative value.

Come on, how on earth can you say he has value?

Martin is a lefty reliever who has command and control issues...But he throws hard, is still young and has a good GO/AO ratio. He has some potential to be something for us.

Eveland may as well...but you could have gotten him or similar pitchers to him, for free.

I just bought it, and they raised the friggin price again. Opening Day plus three other games is now #119. For the wife and I, with the Ticketmaster charges and stuff, cost me over $250. For 4 friggin lousy ass Orioles games.

Maybe I'll get lucky and see Dana starting on Opening Day? :rolleyes:

You have to take your wife to the Orioles to.....

Oh wait, nevermind..Should have kept reading. :D

Archived