This has probably been brought up - but we are giving up 3 players to get him. So, Who will be better... Eveland or the guy they have to drop off the 40 man roster when they add him to it?

Eyre is probably not lost. He was DFA'd because he is arbitration eligible. The O's like what he did last year and probably resign him to a minor league deal. He probably will not be in demand by any other team for a major league contract.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately, there is a reason that Simon probably does not make the team. Yes he has a strong arm and good velocity. However his command is poor. At 30 he probably is what he is. His ability has probably peaked by now. As a reliever his had a 4.93 ERA and a 1.54 WHIP in 2010 and a 4.64 ERA with a 1.50 WHIP in 2011. He is one of the reasons the O's have the worst ERA in the league and he is a pitcher that the O's need to replace this off season.

And he is still better than Eveland...

And not that I'm a Simon apologist, but there are many, many other pitchers who you can say are responsible for the O's having the worst ERA. Simon should be one of the last men in the bullpen, IMO, or included as a throw-in player in a trade.

I definitely dont think he should be released like you do.

You've basically named many of the reasons why our reactions should be negative. The Orioles have plenty of 4/5 starter types. Eveland doesn't add anything the O's didn't already have. What they need is more 1-3 starter types.

Problem is that apparantly #3 starters on the FA market cost 5 years and 77.5 million dollars!!! Unless you want CJ to be our #1, and in that case the Orioles still suck!

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7330909/los-angeles-angels-add-texas-rangers-cj-wilson-5-year-775m-deal

Eveland has to make the 25 man roster because:

1) He has no options left.

2) He is arbitration eligible and will make around $1M next year.

He probably ranks about 7th among the O's starters. Guthrie, Britton, Arrieta, Hunter, Matusz, Johnson, Eveland and Tillman. Simon, Bergesen and Reyes probably do not make the 25 man roster.

Therefore Eveland probably ends up in long relief. He is starter depth that is put into the rotation when injuries hit. That makes Eveland worth something, but this value is low.

Over/Under on the amount of pages on that thread if he doesn't make the opening day roster and we lose him to another team for nothing? The current thread is 29 so you would have to place that one at least at 15 pages right?:rolleyes:

So many people wanted AM gone because he didn't make decisive quick decisions and were tired of him percolating. Now DD makes some quick decisions based on what the scouts have told him and the board is up in arms. You cannot have it both ways. AM was great at winning a trade, but didn't have the bold vision to trully implement a change of the organization. DD appears to have a vision and is going for it right away. I will trust what Soxhotcorner has to say about what he did with the Redsoxs and hope that he can duplicate it here. Is anybody in 2-3 years really going to care about these 2 trades? Any chance we gave up John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander? I don't think so. This year is going to be a waste at the MLB level. It was going to be that way no matter who the Orioles GM was going to be. I am at least intriqued that he has a plan and is going for it from the start. As has been said so many times in the past, we have held onto guys so long that never amounted to anything. What have we really lost?

And he is still better than Eveland...

And not that I'm a Simon apologist, but there are many, many other pitchers who you can say are responsible for the O's having the worst ERA. Simon should be one of the last men in the bullpen, IMO, or included as a throw-in player in a trade.

I definitely dont think he should be released like you do.

I didn't say release Simon. I think the O's trade him. Someone will probably like his arm.

Just so you know, people over at SOSH are laughing at us for having such a long thread about a nobody pitcher.

Good, let's do something more constructive like have a 29-page thread on how we're better people because we don't implode as a collective fanbase and burn our pink hats and 3rd alternate green Pedroia jerseys when our team misses the playoffs. Oh, and we actually know who Carl Yastrzemski is.

Problem is that apparantly #3 starters on the FA market cost 5 years and 77.5 million dollars!!! Unless you want CJ to be our #1, and in that case the Orioles still suck!

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7330909/los-angeles-angels-add-texas-rangers-cj-wilson-5-year-775m-deal

Over/Under on the amount of pages on that thread if he doesn't make the opening day roster and we lose him to another team for nothing? The current thread is 29 so you would have to place that one at least at 15 pages right?:rolleyes:

So many people wanted AM gone because he didn't make decisive quick decisions and were tired of him percolating. Now DD makes some quick decisions based on what the scouts have told him and the board is up in arms. You cannot have it both ways. AM was great at winning a trade, but didn't have the bold vision to trully implement a change of the organization. DD appears to have a vision and is going for it right away. I will trust what Soxhotcorner has to say about what he did with the Redsoxs and hope that he can duplicate it here. Is anybody in 2-3 years really going to care about these 2 trades? Any chance we gave up John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander? I don't think so. This year is going to be a waste at the MLB level. It was going to be that way no matter who the Orioles GM was going to be. I am at least intriqued that he has a plan and is going for it from the start. As has been said so many times in the past, we have held onto guys so long that never amounted to anything. What have we really lost?

Yes, many people wanted MacPhail gone. I was not one of them. I am ok with what DD has done so far. It a different style. I have to adjust my thinking to that style. He is focused on improving the pitching depth. I think that focus is a good thing.

Trades of the form "we have someone we don't like and don't think can play, but can convince someone else they're really good" don't usually work out so well.

For who? Hoey, Jacobsen, Mickolio. If the focus of the other team is to dump salary the players that the O's trade don't have to world beaters.

For who? Hoey, Jacobsen, Mickolio. If the focus of the other team is to dump salary the players that the O's trade don't have to world beaters.

If they're looking to dump salary the players just have to be warm bodies that technically qualify as baseball players. Simon >> Hoey, Jacobsen, and Mickolio.

Yes, many people wanted MacPhail gone. I was not one of them. I am ok with what DD has done so far. It a different style. I have to adjust my thinking to that style. He is focused on improving the pitching depth. I think that focus is a good thing.

I agree with everything you say. Personally with AM I thought it was time to go, but I was well aware of the fact that he made some good trades and that was his greatest strength as an Oriole GM. He wasn't able to completely implement his ideas; but you cannot ignore a market like the international market and be successful against some of the teams the Orioles compete against. The Angles and Rangers are now becoming the Yankees and RedSoxs of the west coast. Even with the extra wildcard it is hard to imagine the Orioles consistently making the playoffs with those 4 teams willing to spend significantly more than the Orioles. The Orioles have to be nearly perfect to be a consistent pennant threat year in and year out. I think deep down that is what everybody is upset about. Bringing back the years where the Orioles were a threat every year seems to be getting harder and harder each year the way the current structure of the AL is aligned.

This works for a normal team, however there is a high probability that it does not for the O's. The O's are last place the free agent pitchers would sign. If there have any other option, they will take the other other. A last placed AL East team is the worst team to try to rebuild your pitching career. Especially how the ball flies in the summer.

But the Orioles are still a ML team(well, sorta).

They may be the only chance Eveland has left.

Eveland has to make the 25 man roster because:

1) He has no options left.

2) He is arbitration eligible and will make around $1M next year.

I do not see why Eveland will make $1 mm next year merely because he is arbitration-eligible. He has never made more than the minimum, and last year he pitched in 5 major league games. Put him down for $650-750,000. That is not enough money to force him onto the roster if he doesn't earn it.

Archived