Players get injured in spring training. Spring training stats are one thing (i.e. relatively meaningless). Spring training evaluation from a mechanics perspective is another.

That and it's not like we're operating with some solid depth in regards to SP's here. We had *2* pitchers complete the year successfully last year: Britton and Guthrie. Arrieta was hurt. Matusz was just downright awful. Hunter wasn't anything special. Reyes was just downright terrible. Bergy was...well...Bergy [see: poor].

So is Eveland..Not much difference between these 2.

However, you are right. Guys can get hurt and you see other things.

That's why I have no problem with guys like Eveland in camp and having them in the minors as depth...For a 5-10 start stretch, maybe he can do something like what Chris Waters did for us back in 2008..11 starts, 5 ERA, throw 65 IP. That wouldn't surprise me.

But you don't give up value for that player.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duquette spoke today about how acquiring Eveland adds to the depth of our rotation. I guess when we heard that the O's were going to add depth to our rotation this year I was thinking that they would do it more from the front to the back not the other way around.

I expect it to be a little of both. I doubt we are done acquiring pitchers.

source - Britt

thoughts?

Sure, I expect Eveland to compete for a spot in the rotation. It's not like we've got any sure things in the 4-5 spot, and who knows what else we do between now and February?

I think it's really good for Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman to come to camp feeling like they are competing with several others to make the rotation. No reason to hand it to them, though I'd be shocked if Britton and Arrieta aren't in there, and Matusz will only lose out if he looks awful, IMO.

Buck said last year he wanted 10 starters available.

Guthrie

Britton

Arrieta

Matusz

Tillman

Bergesen

Hunter

Simon

Reyes

Eveland

There's 10. I won't be surprised if there are additions an subtractions over the next two months.

You've said this before Frobby, and I know it's blasphemous to say this, but so what? As I've explained before, here the interchangeability is a product of what's unknown more than what's known. As a result, these attempts at "realistic" distinguishing can border on the faux-empirical.

The point stands - inherent in each evaluation (and each determination of what's "realistic" - blech) is both (i) subjectivity; and (ii) inscrutability. It is incredibly hard to know who is going to "break out" and become something that you wouldn't - with any probabilistic confidence - predict. This is why you "horde" good arms. It's also why you draft them and pay them over-slot. You can keep these around at low-cost and draw from your pool of talent as a means of mitigating your MLB spend.

Sure, it makes sense that Eveland is a guy to go after if you have some Eveland-specific belief that he's an MLB pitcher. I'm sure someone on the O's does. I'm sure the O's have weighed the costs and benefits of this trade repeatedly. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to like it, however. We prefer a mode of asset-allocation and asset-valuation that's different from what we're seeing.

This is 100% correct. Yes, every prospect is a unique snowflake, but at a certain point, you can predict, and predict well, the success rate of certain classes of prospects - in the same way that every at-bat is a completely deterministic event given enough information that is also accurately described by the probability of the hitter's batting average.

Also, I'd rather hoard prospects than horde them. :D

source - Britt

thoughts?

Britt either doesnt know jack about Baseball or she only looked at Evelands MLB stats this year. The Orioles are no better than they were yesterday evening.

1)There's appropriate funding to field a competitive team here,& 1A) but we have to make good choices," said Duquette, who has made it a priority to allocate resources internationally and upgrade the organization's farm system.

"2) It doesn't matter what the budget is. It doesn't matter to the fans," Duquette said. "3)They are interested in seeing the product, they are interested in seeing the players. #4) And our job is to put out the best team we can, #5) within the constraints of the market. So you are not going to hear me talk about the budget or numbers. Because to me, 6) it's not important to the fans. They want to see a good product."

Note to DD .... Highlight #1 ... The Monopoly money doesnt count

Highlight #1A.... So far your not making good choices

Highlight #2 The fans do care about what the budget is!

Highlight # 3 We do care who is on the team & what you add in the offseason

Hightlight #4 Yes putting the best team you can on the field. That means going after some A talent...Not AAAA players

Highlight #5 You mean the constraints of the Greedy Angelos & his tight purse strings.

Highlight #6 Wrong Again .... We Do Care and were not buying tickects to watch the AAA Orioles play at Camden

This is 100% correct. Yes, every prospect is a unique snowflake, but at a certain point, you can predict, and predict well, the success rate of certain classes of prospects - in the same way that every at-bat is a completely deterministic event given enough information that is also accurately described by the probability of the hitter's batting average.

Also, I'd rather hoard prospects than horde them. :D

But you can't hoard them as it's impractical and finite. As someone already pointed out, they've already been replaced.

But you can't hoard them as it's impractical and finite. As someone already pointed out, they've already been replaced.

Jarret Martin was neither blocked nor superfluous in our organization. For the last time, having a couple similar things doesn't make them have less value.

. The Orioles are no better than they were yesterday evening.

And this is a great way of putting things.

When you make a trade, the idea is that you have gotten better or at least, saved yourself a lot of money.

Can anyone really sit there and say, the Orioles are better because they made this trade?

Jarret Martin was neither blocked nor superfluous in our organization. For the last time, having a couple similar things doesn't make them have less value.

Thank you...That's such a stupid argument.

If we had a top catching prospect right now, does that mean he has less value because we have Wieters?

Ok sounds like you agree Henson is pretty much worthless. So what is Jarret Martin's upside/value to the organization and what is unique about him?

And this is a great way of putting things.

When you make a trade, the idea is that you have gotten better or at least, saved yourself a lot of money.

Can anyone really sit there and say, the Orioles are better because they made this trade?

Ask me in September. I'm not clairvoyant.

Archived