These threads kill me. What a waste of energy. At some point you have to hire a GM and trust him and let him go. Calling simple trades like this "horrible" are such an over reaction. I read things like Martin has as much upside as Eveland are mindless statements. Eveland is already there. What SG and those that are going crazy about these moves fail to mention is:

Most or all of them have never even seen Martin pitch and most never heard of him until this trade. They have no idea what the guys make up is. They don't know anything about the guy beyond a stat sheet. Maybe Martin isn't a hard worker, maybe he is a bad clubhouse guy, maybe he isnt too bright, maybe he dresses in womens clothes and it scares the other players. You hire you GM and trust that he is made aware of these things and cuts bait on players with "issues". People are claming we can get guys like Eveland for "nothing". Well maybe the people that know Martin, feel we did get Eveland for nothing.

The question is, if we are just going to go by stat sheets, why do we need a GM? Lets just look at stats and make all our deals based off them.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
these threads kill me. What a waste of energy. At some point you have to hire a gm and trust him and let him go. Calling simple trades like this "horrible" are such an over reaction. I read things like martin has as much upside as eveland are mindless statements. Eveland is already there. What sg and those that are going crazy about these moves fail to mention is:

Most or all of them have never even seen martin pitch and most never heard of him until this trade. They have no idea what the guys make up is. They don't know anything about the guy beyond a stat sheet. Maybe martin isn't a hard worker, maybe he is a bad clubhouse guy, maybe he isnt too bright, maybe he dresses in womens clothes and it scares the other players. You hire you gm and trust that he is made aware of these things and cuts bait on players with "issues". People are claming we can get guys like eveland for "nothing". Well maybe the people that know martin, feel we did get eveland for nothing.

The question is, if we are just going to go by stat sheets, why do we need a gm? Lets just look at stats and make all our deals based off them.

fully agree!

These threads kill me. What a waste of energy. At some point you have to hire a GM and trust him and let him go. Calling simple trades like this "horrible" are such an over reaction. I read things like Martin has as much upside as Eveland are mindless statements. Eveland is already there. What SG and those that are going crazy about these moves fail to mention is:

Most or all of them have never even seen Martin pitch and most never heard of him until this trade. They have no idea what the guys make up is. They don't know anything about the guy beyond a stat sheet. Maybe Martin isn't a hard worker, maybe he is a bad clubhouse guy, maybe he isnt too bright, maybe he dresses in womens clothes and it scares the other players. You hire you GM and trust that he is made aware of these things and cuts bait on players with "issues". People are claming we can get guys like Eveland for "nothing". Well maybe the people that know Martin, feel we did get Eveland for nothing.

The question is, if we are just going to go by stat sheets, why do we need a GM? Lets just look at stats and make all our deals based off them.

Well I don't mind statistical analysis if something seems blatantly wrong and/or significant. This deal doesn't meet either imo.

"New general manager Dan Duquette parted with minor league depth to acquire a pair of major league contributors in backup catcher Taylor Teagarden and potential No. 3 starter Dana Eveland."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/12/minor-league-transactions-dec-1-8/

According o BA, Eveland is a potential No. 3 starter...

Also the Orioles signed a 18 year older catcher from the Dominican Republic, acoording to Roch.

Somebody should tell the Dodgers. They had him all last year in the minors, saw his 5 good starts in the majors, and still decided to deal him for scraps, while signing the likes of Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano for significantly more money.

With their salary concerns I'm actually a little surprised they didn't hang on to him. LAD is a good park for him to pitch in (or any pitcher) and if the LAD spent more money on mid-low tier pitchers with the park results they get, they could save money to spend in other places.

No one involved in this trade will have a positive impact on a MLB team this year (or likely ever again).

The players we let go aren't the issue. It's the fact that its nearly Christmas and we have done NOTHING to improve the team or organization.

This.

We are not persuing any top quality MLB players. It's the usual scrap deals that could have been done closer to the start of the season.

We probably could have signed Eveland to a minor league deal later on instead of giving up players.

Well done DD. Well done. :angryfire:

• 3 months later...

Archived