Lefthanded with a decent year last year between AAA and the majors. Someone other than the O's would have wanted him.

He isn't good...If someone else wanted him, then you let someone else have him. You can have your pick of 30 other guys that are similar to him.

Talking about what he did at age 28 in AAA is a joke.

Of course, you probably felt Lou M was going to be good for us because he won the AA triple crown at age 26.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He isn't good...If someone else wanted him, then you let someone else have him. You can have your pick of 30 other guys that are similar to him.

Talking about what he did at age 28 in AAA is a joke.

Of course, you probably felt Lou M was going to be good for us because he won the AA triple crown at age 26.

I think Eveland is pitching depth. A long reliever in the majors that might start 8 games because of other starters injuries. Scott didn't do anything in the majors until he was 28. Its the exception but it happens. Eveland was 27 last year. Maybe Castro who might be recommending him knows something we don't.

All you asked was to give the names of 3 freely available pitchers that were better than Eveland. The stats for all of these guys are available to you if you want to look them up...

And you responded to me with a list of multiple pitchers who many of whom don't have better stats. Around here, you can have any opinion you like, but lazy "research" is going to get called out. There are plenty of boards that you can post on that will allow you to post drivel without consequence, the Hangout is not one of them.

Problem is that apparantly #3 starters on the FA market cost 5 years and 77.5 million dollars!!! Unless you want CJ to be our #1, and in that case the Orioles still suck!

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7330909/los-angeles-angels-add-texas-rangers-cj-wilson-5-year-775m-deal

Over/Under on the amount of pages on that thread if he doesn't make the opening day roster and we lose him to another team for nothing? The current thread is 29 so you would have to place that one at least at 15 pages right?:rolleyes:

So many people wanted AM gone because he didn't make decisive quick decisions and were tired of him percolating. Now DD makes some quick decisions based on what the scouts have told him and the board is up in arms. You cannot have it both ways. AM was great at winning a trade, but didn't have the bold vision to trully implement a change of the organization. DD appears to have a vision and is going for it right away. I will trust what Soxhotcorner has to say about what he did with the Redsoxs and hope that he can duplicate it here. Is anybody in 2-3 years really going to care about these 2 trades? Any chance we gave up John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander? I don't think so. This year is going to be a waste at the MLB level. It was going to be that way no matter who the Orioles GM was going to be. I am at least intriqued that he has a plan and is going for it from the start. As has been said so many times in the past, we have held onto guys so long that never amounted to anything. What have we really lost?

Here-here! I knew doctors were smart! ;)

I don't see how he could be anything else. But you shouldn't be making trades for depth in December, IMO.

Why not, if it's someone your scouts like?

I'd assume some marginal pitchers will be non-tendered and we will try to sign them, but this is a way of getting someone you may like a little better than some others.

At the end of the day, this comes down to what you think of Martin and Henson.

Why not, if it's someone your scouts like?

I'd assume some marginal pitchers will be non-tendered and we will try to sign them, but this is a way of getting someone you may like a little better than some others.

At the end of the day, this comes down to what you think of Martin and Henson.

Not really...it comes down to giving a roster spot to Eveland on Dec. 8th. The O's should strive to get better in any way and they basically said, "we're OK with having another Jakubauskus or Reyes on our roster in 2012. And we're going to get them on the roster on December 8th."

And you responded to me with a list of multiple pitchers who many of whom don't have better stats. Around here, you can have any opinion you like, but lazy "research" is going to get called out. There are plenty of boards that you can post on that will allow you to post drivel without consequence, the Hangout is not one of them.

I'm not picking any sides here I generally do not understand why we traded two guys with some value for a Non-Tender Candidate, but at the end of the day I don't think it's a huge deal.

Dana Eveland has a career ERA+ of 77.

Kevin Slowey who was just traded for a PTBNL has a career ERA+ of 90. Now I know he is going to cost more than Eveland, but not significantly more.

Here are 3 other guys that are non tender candidates.

Chris Volstad - Career ERA+ 91

Andy Sonnanstine - Career ERA+ 82

Ross Ohlendorf - Career ERA+ 87

Here are 3 guys that are free agents.

Sergio Mitre - Career ERA+ 84

Mitch Talbot - Career ERA + 75

Kyle Davies - Career ERA +77

Because guys like Eveland are available 365 days a year. One of our 2012 roster spots is going to be taken by a pitcher no better than one of the handful of pitchers who stunk last year.

Again, you're going with the assumption that Eveland is definitely the same Eveland who's mainly stunk over his MLB career. You don't seem to even allow for the slight chance that he's either changed or that the O's will use him in a role (i.e. relief) where he's more suited.

Is this still a bad trade if next year he gives the O's 65 innings of a 3.75 in relief?

Again, you're going with the assumption that Eveland is definitely the same Eveland who's mainly stunk over his MLB career. You don't seem to even allow for the slight chance that he's either changed or that the O's will use him in a role (i.e. relief) where he's more suited.

Is this still a bad trade if next year he gives the O's 65 innings of a 3.75 in relief?

No but the chances of that happening are slim to none. People are going crazy over 29 IP in the NL and in a home stadium that's a pitcher's park. 29 innings.

I'm not picking any sides here I generally do not understand why we traded two guys with some value for a Non-Tender Candidate, but at the end of the day I don't think it's a huge deal.

Kevin Slowey who was just traded for a PTBNL has a career ERA+ of 90. Now I know he is going to cost more than Eveland, but not significantly more.

It's hard to believe I have to be the one to constantly point this out, but a) pitchers have step changes in their performances all the time due to any number of things, and b) you're completely discounting the idea that the scouts have identified Eveland as a candidate to improve.

The whole reason you employ scouts is to take the 26 guys on your list with 80-90 ERA+'s and pick the couple out you think are going to be better than that in the future. If it was as simple as filling out AAA and the back end of the roster by throwing darts at a bb-ref list of bad pitchers you could save yourself many hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary for scouts.

No but the chances of that happening are slim to none. People are going crazy over 29 IP in the NL and in a home stadium that's a pitcher's park. 29 innings.

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT HIS NUMBERS. The scouts think he's better than his overall past performance. I tend to think they're probably wrong. But the numbers have almost nothing to do with this.

Here are 3 guys that are free agents.

Sergio Mitre - Career ERA+ 84

Mitch Talbot - Career ERA + 75

Kyle Davies - Career ERA +77

I fully expect the Orioles to pick up Sonnanstine if he's not tendered.

Archived