Edwin Jackson: Interested?

SilentJames

ahhh the bright hopes of the offseason...

Sadly the O's are not and will not be contenders for ANY decent Free-agent MLB starting pitchers. Nobody wants in to this black hole.

Call me Randy Quaid from Major League, but I just don't see any hope ever. The losing is getting to me after all these years.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way would I dump $42 mil on Edwin Jackson who will be lucky to be pitching here in two years. It makes no sense...bad contract...it could be for 10 years and 42 mil and it'd STiLL be horrible...
Care to demonstrate why. EJax has over 200 IP the last 2 years and has been worth 3.5+WAR in each of the past 3. That's about 16 M per year in production. 11M per seems reasonable to me.

No way would I dump $42 mil on Edwin Jackson who will be lucky to be pitching here in two years. It makes no sense...bad contract...it could be for 10 years and 42 mil and it'd STiLL be horrible...

So he's gonna be washed up at 30 years old?

The dude is better than anything we got.

4/40 = get it done.

I'm not understanding the nitpicking on EJax. I've seen the guy look nasty several times. At 28, there's no reason he can't put up a couple seasons like the one he had in Detroit, which was the last one where he played on one team the whole year. It's incredible how he's bounced around. Maybe staying put for a minute would help him.

I don't get the penny-pinching either. 42,44,48 what do I care? We haven't spent much this off-season.

And if he signs a one year deal with a contender rather than a 4/40-something with us, I'll be rooting for him to blow out his arm.

I'm not understanding the nitpicking on EJax. I've seen the guy look nasty several times. At 28, there's no reason he can't put up a couple seasons like the one he had in Detroit, which was the last one where he played on one team the whole year. It's incredible how he's bounced around. Maybe staying put for a minute would help him.

I don't get the penny-pinching either. 42,44,48 what do I care? We haven't spent much this off-season.

And if he signs a one year deal with a contender rather than a 4/40-something with us, I'll be rooting for him to blow out his arm.

Contenders; AL: MFY, BOS, TB, DET. TEX LAA. NL: PHI, CIN. STL, ARZ, MIA, ATL, which of these teams will give him a one year deal? Maybe BOS, STL, or MIA. Not likely

Rosenthal tweeted that EJax has multiple three-year offers on the table. You can kiss that thought goodbye.

I doubt that we are all that interested anyway. If you like Jackson, you shouldn't have a problem going to four years.

I'm guessing a contender will pick him up anyway. If I were a betting man, I'd say Boston is where he winds up.

If the Orioles were closer to competing, I'd be fine with a 4/40 deal. But we're not, and signing Jackson, especially without the addition of a guy like Fielder, is just treading water. Do it right this time, otherwise we're going to be having this same discussion two years from now.

I doubt that we are all that interested anyway. If you like Jackson, you shouldn't have a problem going to four years.

I'm guessing a contender will pick him up anyway. If I were a betting man, I'd say Boston is where he winds up.

With Oswalt going to the Cards (potentially), Jackson may easily take a 1 year deal from Boston and re-enter as free agency again after the season..

If the Orioles were closer to competing, I'd be fine with a 4/40 deal. But we're not, and signing Jackson, especially without the addition of a guy like Fielder, is just treading water. Do it right this time, otherwise we're going to be having this same discussion two years from now.

Will there ever be day before they put me in a pine box when some on here think it would be a good idea for the Orioles to sign a free agent?

Care to demonstrate why. EJax has over 200 IP the last 2 years and has been worth 3.5+WAR in each of the past 3. That's about 16 M per year in production. 11M per seems reasonable to me.

Yep. The last three articles I read on peak pitching age all basically focus around the age 29 as the peak. Jackson even on a four year deal would be pitching at 28, 29, 30 (top of the pyramid statistically speaking) and 31. I didn't see anything about pitchers abruptly dropping dead at 31, just beginning a downward trend.

Archived