#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, Jurrjens is not nearly as valuable as the Braves seem to think. Then again, Adam Jones is not as valuable as most here seem to think. But I DO think the Orioles could get more value than Jurrjens from some other team interested in Jones.

So it is probably better to sign two free agents and give up nothing. Or perhaps give up Reimold and a lower prospect for Floyd.

Yeah, Jurrjens is not nearly as valuable as the Braves seem to think. Then again, Adam Jones is not as valuable as most here seem to think. But I DO think the Orioles could get more value than Jurrjens from some other team interested in Jones.

I think we should target players that are not established in the majors yet. I think I'd almost rather see us go after a Minor, Delgado, and Salcedo type deal than getting Jurjjens. I'm not sure about those particular players, but that's the type of deal I'd like to see.

Ah didn't see it at first glance, thanks man.

By the way...welcome to the OH.

My only feedback to you is that I think the Braves' braintrust doesn't view JJ nearly as high as your fans. I also think "smart" fans undervalue Jones relative to very many in the league. I don't think the defensive numbers for OPACY are an accurate reflection of his talent and I think his ability to produce runs is hidden by his mediocre OBP.

I actually think Jones would be a wonderful acquisition for Atlanta, but I'm just a guy who likes baseball.

Here are the quotes from a Braves website just to show the exact opposite thinking (and delusional) that they have...

*Sheesh, I'd rather have Coco Crisp.*

*I'll take Adam Jones and prospects for JJ.....my two cents.*

*Dream on, Duquette. Tommy Hanson for Adam Jones? I don't think they have anyone in their organization I'd trade Hanson for straight up. Not even Manny Machado*

*I'm pretty sure if that's what they were asking for, Wren will never call Duquette again.*

Sorry guys, not sure how to quote on here, if it's possible.

Meh. Those quotes are equally guilty of underplaying injury issues with JJ and Hanson. I doubt Hanson gets moves because no one in there right mind is going to give up value equivalent to a healthy Hanson, and the Braves probably aren't letting him go at a discount.

As for JJ -- there is a reason that the market for him has been soft.

Its not that Hanson for Jones would be a bad deal for the Orioles...its that the deal doesn't make a lot of sense for the team.

And Jones for Jurrjens, straight up, is pretty poor for the Orioles as well. JJ just isn't that good, no matter what Braves fans think. Get him out of their park and out of the B league and he isn't nearly as good.

Its not that Hanson for Jones would be a bad deal for the Orioles...its that the deal doesn't make a lot of sense for the team.

And Jones for Jurrjens, straight up, is pretty poor for the Orioles as well. JJ just isn't that good, no matter what Braves fans think. Get him out of their park and out of the B league and he isn't nearly as good.

What would you think of Minor, Delgado, and Salcedo for Jones? Personally, I think I'd like that deal better...and it might not be those 3 players...but just the idea of three players instead of a Jurjjens/Prado type of deal.

What would you think of Minor, Delgado, and Salcedo for Jones? Personally, I think I'd like that deal better...and it might not be those 3 players...but just the idea of three players instead of a Jurjjens/Prado type of deal.

I think the Braves might bite if you replace one of Minor/Delgado with a Vizcaino type...slightly lesser prospect these days from what I've read.

It's not like Hanson is some guy who is up for FA next season. If healthy he can be a valuable piece for the next contending Orioles team.

But all of the risk is with the O's. Huge risk/reward type of move, with an ugly red flag associated with the most important body part for any position in sports. That's why you get multiple players.

I think the Braves might bite if you replace one of Minor/Delgado with a Vizcaino type...slightly lesser prospect these days from what I've read.

Right...that's what I'm trying to say. Not sure what would make sense, but it sure seems as if something could be done.

But all of the risk is with the O's. Huge risk/reward type of move, with an ugly red flag associated with the most important body part for any position in sports. That's why you get multiple players.

Yes but the risk is mitigated by giving up below-market value. Do you think the Braves would ever consider trading Hanson for Jones if Hanson was healthy as an ox? Hell they may not do it anyway.

Archived