The Orioles acquired outfielder Jai Miller from the Athletics

Greg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are very interesting quotes from DD. Makes some revealing comments about OBP. I think Jones will be traded.

Do the Orioles need a clear room in their outfield to give him sufficient at-bats?

"If he's not playing every day, he's capable of coming off the bench and stealing a base for you, and he can pinch hit. And if he runs into a ball, there's a good chance he's going to get an extra-base hit. And he can play defense in all three outfield positions," Duquette said.

"He would probably hit for more power if he had more at-bats. If he's not playing every day, he does have those other skills."

Duquette is still looking to add a starting pitcher, and he wants to improve the club's on-base capability "from top to bottom."

When I asked whether he needs to find a leadoff hitter in case Brian Roberts can't play, Duquette said, "I think we have options to play second base. I'm not sure they're currently on our roster. I'm not sure a .380 on base percentage is in our lineup with players who can play second base.

"Our on-base capability, we need to upgrade that. We need to place more emphasis on that."

In other words, this roster isn't set. Duquette has more moves in the works.

We may have to wait until next week before the Orioles announce more hires and their minor league staffs.

2B could be Prado...he said that he isn't sure that the 2B is on our team currently.

As for OBP...Prince would help that tremendously...

But why can't the plan be for Miller to come in here and try to make the 25-man WITH Jones. I mean we have room. I don't think Scott is coming back. I think Reimold would be a good DH option who could also play LF and even 1B if necessary.

Thats all I'm saying, if he is good enough to complete for a 25-man spot without Jones here, why can't that be the case WITH Jones and Miller moving into LF?

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but I'm just throwing out another option. He is good enough to compete to potentially replace Jones in CF why can't he be good enough to potentially replace a vacancy we have?

Because a platoon with Miller and Chavez is poor. That means one of them is playing everyday. You can't have that.

His bat would play fine at catcher. If my memory serves me correctly, he was moved out of position based on our organizational needs rather more than ability.

I find it very hard to believe that a player who was adequate at catcher would be moved to 1st/3rd on the basis of organizational needs when he was at A ball.

I'm just wondering the blind squirrell finally found a nut here.

That k rate, in AAA, suggests it's incredibly unlikely he ever becomes a full-time player. I don't think this is blind-squirrel stuff as much as it is a chance to get another OFer who can defend and has a little pop.

That k rate, in AAA, suggests it's incredibly unlikely he ever becomes a full-time player. I don't think this is blind-squirrel stuff as much as it is a chance to get another OFer who can defend and has a little pop.

Could he be a Buck nugget...?

;)

I wonder if they put him back at catcher where he actually had some value.

Snyder doesn't have much value anywhere. He's not much of a defensive catcher, and he's lucky to clear a .700 OPS in the majors. JR House couldn't find a job as an offense-first catcher and he outhit Snyder by .200 OPS points.

Who cares about batting average alone? Looks like the guy can take a walk and has power. It's a depth move man, that's all.

Miller can't play major league baseball unless he considerably cuts down on his strikeouts. He K'd in 38% of his PAs in AAA last year, that'll be over 40% in the majors. No one has ever been a productive offensive player striking out in 35% of PAs in the majors. I think his best case is becoming a new Laynce Nix or something, covering a bad OBP and K rate with good defense and power.

I find it very hard to believe that a player who was adequate at catcher would be moved to 1st/3rd on the basis of organizational needs when he was at A ball.

I guess my memory doesn't serve me very well-- not a surprise. Yeah, if the switch happened in single A then I'm wrong.

Snyder doesn't have much value anywhere. He's not much of a defensive catcher, and he's lucky to clear a .700 OPS in the majors. JR House couldn't find a job as an offense-first catcher and he outhit Snyder by .200 OPS points.

Miller can't play major league baseball unless he considerably cuts down on his strikeouts. He K'd in 38% of his PAs in AAA last year, that'll be over 40% in the majors. No one has ever been a productive offensive player striking out in 35% of PAs in the majors. I think his best case is becoming a new Laynce Nix or something, covering a bad OBP and K rate with good defense and power.

What was Mark Reynolds career K percentage for plate appearances? Anyone know?

Archived