Boswell: Peter Angelos is worse than Dan Snyder

Frobby

You post nothing but incendiary, negative comments. Angelos may be a terrible owner but he's a fine human being and certainly not a parasite on society.

I am sorry if i care more about homeless people getting something to eat instead of a billionaire who only cares about himself.

And if you want to know the story look up "Our daily Bread" and "Peter Angelos". It shouldn't be too hard to find. It was located right accross from the Main Branch of the Enoch Pratt. A pope ate at the soup kitchen before Angelos made them move it to a seedy neighborhood at a cost of millions.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume he means this: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-07-23/news/9907230086_1_daily-bread-johnston-square-soup-kitchen

Then, of course, there is this: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2000-01-18/news/0001190343_1_daily-bread-catholic-charities-soup-kitchen

That points out that Angelos was helping them move, and that the move was caused by a lot of complaints from many sources.

So yeah, this poster is a troll.

Angelos was the main one leading it. How am I trolling. And cost the church 10 million to move half of which the church paid and have was expected to come from contributions from businesses.

I'll say this: IF TRUE, PA's interest in buying the Dodgers should put to bed any idea that he doesn't have the cash to increase payroll AND increase spending on the MiLs/draft/development system.

Hate to sound like I'm jumping into Trea's camp based on idle speculation, but like I said...if he has/had the money to even consider such a purchase, the state of the O's is entirely inexcusable.

Of course he has the money to do both; it's the willingness to increase spending that he's lacking.

I am sorry if i care more about homeless people getting something to eat instead of a billionaire who only cares about himself.

And if you want to know the story look up "Our daily Bread" and "Peter Angelos". It shouldn't be too hard to find. It was located right accross from the Main Branch of the Enoch Pratt. A pope ate at the soup kitchen before Angelos made them move it to a seedy neighborhood at a cost of millions.

The articles that BTerp posted suggest that Angelos was actually trying to help and that the locals didn't want the soup kitchen near-by. What information do you have to refute that? I agree with BTerp - you're a troll, and this isn't the only time you've shown it.

The articles that BTerp posted suggest that Angelos was actually trying to help and that the locals didn't want the soup kitchen near-by. What information do you have to refute that? I agree with BTerp - you're a troll, and this isn't the only time you've shown it.

I have read many articles about it at the time that said that Angelos was leading the group wanting to get it out of downtown. Calling someone a troll who is stating an opinion differant than yours is trolling. I lived in Mt Vernon while this was going on. It was an expensive new facility and they were able to get a lot of volunteers there because it was a safer part of town compared to where other soup kitchens were located.

"Charity in the city: Our Daily Bread in downtown Baltimore. Our Daily Bread run by Catholic Charities feeds around 900 people daily. Visited by the Pope, it has long been a flagship operation for servicing the inner city poor. But in 1998, the Downtown Partnership, led by Peter Angelos, the multi-millionaire owner of the Baltimore Orioles (salary budget for baseball players at $90 million annually), began to agitate against poor people circulating in the downtown area because they supposedly fostered crime, devalued properties and deterred redevelopment. The Partnership urged the city to set up a `social services campus' for the poor away from the downtown area. Catholic Charities was asked to seek a less central location. In April 1999 it was announced that Our Daily Bread would be moved to a renovated building donated by Angelos, symbolically tucked away behind the city jail in an impoverished neighborhood. When local residents complained Catholic Charities abandoned that site and began looking elsewhere. The bourgeoisie, as Engels argued, have only one solution to social problems - they move them around while blaming those least able to deal with the burden.

"

http://2700block.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html

I have read many articles about it at the time that said that Angelos was leading the group wanting to get it out of downtown. Calling someone a troll who is stating an opinion differant than yours is trolling. I lived in Mt Vernon while this was going on. It was an expensive new facility and they were able to get a lot of volunteers there because it was a safer part of town compared to where other soup kitchens were located.

No, I call you a troll because the only comments I've ever seen you post have been negative, incendiary, and mostly wrong. There has been plenty of good that Angelos has done over the years and to label him a parasite on society because of this one thing that you can't even provide factual evidence for is trolling, if you ask me. Maybe you're even right about this, that could be true, but you say insulting, inflammatory things that are just unnecessary. I'll drop it now, though.

No, I call you a troll because the only comments I've ever seen you post have been negative, incendiary, and mostly wrong. There has been plenty of good that Angelos has done over the years and to label him a parasite on society because of this one thing that you can't even provide factual evidence for is trolling, if you ask me. Maybe you're even right about this, that could be true, but you say insulting, inflammatory things that are just unnecessary. I'll drop it now, though.

Well you can say I am trolling instead of providing stuff that Angelos has done to help the poor and improve the city. He did make a ton of money off the states lawsuit on tobacco companies in which he did little work on. He did sue the state when he found out the Ravens got a better stadium deal. All I know are the negative things about him perhaps you should retort with the postive things.

I don't know anythign about Dan Snyder. I am not a redskins fan. I follow the Capitals, Ravens, and Orioles.

You don't think PA has the ability to put together a group of investors to kick the tires on the Dodgers? Maybe he saw it as an undervalued asset, and has some friends with deep pockets, plus the money he would receive from the sale of the O's. I think it's possible he explored the opportunity.

MLB Rule #20:

(a) OWNERSHIP AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS. "No Club, or owner, stockholder, officer, director or employee (including manager or player) of a Club, shall, directly or indirectly, own stock or any other proprietary interest or have any financial interest in any other Club in its League, provided, however, that any owner or stockholder of a Major League Club (who is not also an officer, director or employee of a Club) whose interest does not exceed 5% of such Club and whose interest does not constitute a control interest [as defined] may own a non-control interest not exceeding 5% of any other Club or Clubs in its League, unless the Commissioner determines that such ownership would not be in the best interests of Baseball."

It's just not allowed for one person to own significant stakes in 2 different teams. Angelos has to know this, he's been an owner for almost 20 years. Boswell just unprofessionally floated a ridiculous rumor to continue his anti-Orioles bias. I'm kind of disappointed in him, he used to be a good writer, and there are plenty of real stories to bash the O's with.

Well you can say I am trolling instead of providing stuff that Angelos has done to help the poor and improve the city. He did make a ton of money off the states lawsuit on tobacco companies in which he did little work on. He did sue the state when he found out the Ravens got a better stadium deal. All I know are the negative things about him perhaps you should retort with the postive things.

I don't know anythign about Dan Snyder. I am not a redskins fan. I follow the Capitals, Ravens, and Orioles.

Here, you can read about some of his charitable efforts. What a parasite on society, huh?

The problem with the Orioles is mostly the minor league scouting/development side must be full of Angelos cronies, or guys who just dont do a decent job finding talent. Sure, they find a handful of players every decade, but its clearly not enough to win 70 games.

Angelos is the worst owner or one of them, but i think he has alot of good old boys who make most of the mistakes.

MLB Rule #20:

(a) OWNERSHIP AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS. "No Club, or owner, stockholder, officer, director or employee (including manager or player) of a Club, shall, directly or indirectly, own stock or any other proprietary interest or have any financial interest in any other Club in its League, provided, however, that any owner or stockholder of a Major League Club (who is not also an officer, director or employee of a Club) whose interest does not exceed 5% of such Club and whose interest does not constitute a control interest [as defined] may own a non-control interest not exceeding 5% of any other Club or Clubs in its League, unless the Commissioner determines that such ownership would not be in the best interests of Baseball."

It's just not allowed for one person to own significant stakes in 2 different teams. Angelos has to know this, he's been an owner for almost 20 years. Boswell just unprofessionally floated a ridiculous rumor to continue his anti-Orioles bias. I'm kind of disappointed in him, he used to be a good writer, and there are plenty of real stories to bash the O's with.

That is a rule, but Selig has been willing to play fast and loose with it on occasion. He basically allowed Loria to swap the Expos for the Marlins, at the same time moving John Henry from the Marlins to ownership in the Red Sox. He also let his Brewers borrow money from Carl Pohlad and the Twins, in direct violation of this rule.

So, yes, my first thought was that Angelos wouldn't be allowed to own stake in the O's and Dodgers at the same time. But that's not to say Selig wouldn't allow some creative swapping of stock, or kind of look the other way when the rules were bent.

Archived