(Update) Orioles reach agreement w/ Taiwanese LHP Wei-Yin Chen

Greg

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
This is how I picture Jtrea if the Orioles sign Fielder.

Tony - I'll kick in to make sure we have a webcam all set up and a live feed direct to the OH... maybe we could get the FO involved - have the feed piped into the news conference that was quickly called without any idea why... Jtrea would be sitting there then.... oh, btw make sure you get the licensing rights.

That's the closest comparison you'll get. I think you'd have to call it perhaps a shade above AAA overall (debatable, of course). But NPB has a typically wider talent range than one level in the American pro system.

Not that this makes any sense to 90% of the people here, but I'd compare it to the old PCL in the 50s. Rated variously as AAA or Open Classification, it was mostly independent, players didn't always just get called up and down to major league teams, and there were guys who stayed there for years even though they were clearly of major league quality. But there were also players filling out the roster or starting on bad teams who were obviously not major leaguers.

Has anyone considered the possibility, however unproductive, that they may be targeting a 6 man rotation to help ease the Japanese imports into the MLB rotation schedule?
I agree. Six man rotation makes little sense if you're taking starts away from front-end guys. Seeing as Baltimore has no front-end guy at the moment, and the delta between probable production levels of the various candidates is uncertain at best, using a six man rotation might work out for BAL for a year. It probably isn't a good long term plan, and of course you'd have to be confident your young arms will be ready to go back to five-man rotation next year.

I think the six-man could work, if they do it like Japan and actually have all the starters average 7+ innings and 115-130 pitches a start. If they're just asking everyone to keep going 5 innings and getting pulled after 90-100 pitches it's a recipe for disaster. Or a 14-man staff and Teagarden playing seven positions on a regular basis, which is one of my definitions of disaster.

Update from Connolly:

Now hearing #Orioles will pay LHP Chen Wei-yin less than $12M total over 3 yrs in deal once physical is passed. Roughly $4M or less per yr

Good stuff, no issue at all with that. Even as a reliever that's not a bad deal since they're really on paying for 2.5 wins over three years.

If the price reported is accurate, I don't see how this can be viewed as anything but positive. Clearly improves the quality of starting pitching at the ML level and the depth of SP in the organization. My recollection is that the Orioles were the one team that offered Wada the opportunity to start, not a guarantee that he would start. I'm more bullish on Hunter than some here and think he'll be given a long look in the rotation. IMO, as currently constructed - barring a trade - Guthrie, Chen are virtual locks for the first to spots in the rotation. Britton and Arrieta probably have a leg up on the next two spots, but there will real competition for those last 3 starting rotation jobs, with Wada, Matusz, Hunter, Tillman, Eveland, Bergesen, and Simon battling it out. This is a good thing.

Archived