Roberts to miss FanFest to avoid stress, Duquette wants him to reconsider

JTrea81

Whether I'm out of my league or not, the Orioles likely have an insurance policy out on the contract, and they'll likely collect much of that money back. The Orioles have a contract with him, however, and it's their obligation to pay it to the end.

If he hasn't been told by doctors to retire, I think it's presumptuous to assume that retiring is the "right thing to do." I think the right thing for him to do is to continue to try to rehab and earn his livelihood.

And I'm really completely non-caring about how the injury occurred. Maybe I just understand that athletes occasionally do not-so-smart things in the heat of the moment when they're frustrated. How often do we criticize guys on here for showing no emotion on the diamond?

Also, if his contract's insurance is anything like Belle's, it only pays out if he's NOT retired. So in that case, it would be in everybody's best interest for Roberts to stay on the 40-man roster for the remainder of his contract, no matter what his health is like.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, if his contract's insurance is anything like Belle's, it only pays out if he's NOT retired. So in that case, it would be in everybody's best interest for Roberts to stay on the 40-man roster for the remainder of his contract, no matter what his health is like.

If Roberts can't play, wouldn't it be safe to assume he'd be placed on the 60day DL? I thought the 60day DL did not require a spot on the 40-man roster...

If Roberts can't play, wouldn't it be safe to assume he'd be placed on the 60day DL? I thought the 60day DL did not require a spot on the 40-man roster...

Hmm… that's a good point. I remember that Belle had to stay on the 40-man for the O's to collect on his insurance, so maybe something is different with Roberts.

I know it has been said by some already, but some people still don't seem to get it.

When a team (owner, GM) signs a player, they understand they are guaranteeing 'X' amount of dollars to that individual with the goal being that said player meets or exceeds the value of the contract. It is a risk. That's the whole point. That is why guys with longer injury histories get shorter contracts and incentive-laden deals. That is why older players get shorter deals. It is all risk-reward. To say that he should give back his money so he isn't getting paid "$20 million to do nothing" is so narrow-minded and short-sighted it is almost humorous. Every player who ever goes to rehab or on the DL should then be obligated to give the money back, right?

I think some of you are getting so bent out of shape about this because the concussion symptoms are not visible from the outside. There is no fracture or tear or scar that can be seen. So we asume because he walks around without a limp and all his fingers and toes are in the right place that he should be able to hit a ball, sign some autographs or talk to some kids and reporters. You obviously have never suffered a concussion.

When a person suffers a concussion, especially one as seemingly severe as Brian's, the physiological effects can be virtually the same as clinical depression. So self doubt, depressed mood, anxiety, loss of interest in things, and other symptoms can be prevelant. Throw in the stress of traveling (not to mention potential issues with high altitude in a plane), bright lights, cameras, noise, repeated questions, etc, and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that it would not be in his best interest to be there if he is still suffering from his symptoms.

It appears there is a very strong chance Brian may not be ready this year, or ever. He very well may call it a career and perhaps for his own well-being that is the thing to do. But take it from someone whose career was cut short due to injury, when the desire is still there but the body won't allow it, it is really hard to give up. Brian probably holds out hope that he can recover but keeps dealing with setbacks which starts a vicious cycle in his mind of frustration and self-doubt.

In short, back off the guy. It is just a game and it is just an autograph. Lots of O's, past and current won't be there. And if he can't go this year, appreciate the 10 years he has given us as a loyal Oriole, both on the field and off.

I mean, hes not really a part of the team. Aren't we still paying Bobby Bonilla. Should he come too? I know Roberts was a big part of the team but there's a good chance hes played his last game, or at least played his last game at an above replacement level.

Oh well. Bad contracts happen.

I won't criticize Brian Roberts for his decision to skip Fanfest due to his concussion like symptoms. However, if the guy is still suffering these types of symptoms at this point, it's hard to imagine that he will be ready to play this year or possibly ever again.

It's time for Brian to make the brave decision and retire unless he feels he should collect $20 million for doing nothing over the next two years. In that case the Orioles will still collect about 75% back from insurance if Roberts is unable to play. Either way it's pretty obvious that Duquette would like a final decision, but it's also clear the Orioles need to move forward as if Roberts has retired.

If I was Brian Roberts, I would do everything I could to collect that 20MM. Even if I couldn't play.

He doesn't owe the Orioles anything. It's the Orioles who ultimately agreed that he's to be paid this contract and I can't fault an injured Brian Roberts for collecting it.

Maybe if the Orioles scouted and drafted better they wouldn't have to give him the contract he did. Maybe if the Orioles surrounded Brian Roberts with a winning team, maybe he'd feel obligated to reach an injury settlement.

By the way, have you heard anything about his physical condition? I heard on Norris and Davis that he is really skinny.

By the way, have you heard anything about his physical condition? I heard on Norris and Davis that he is really skinny.

Makes sense, if he's been dealing with these symptoms for months now I'm guessing he hasn't been able to work out at all so it wouldn't come as a surprise to hear

he's lost a lot of weight.

My question is why is Duquette questioning what the doctors told Roberts?

Exactly. I think Duquette's comment about "I don't see why he can't come sign some autographs" was ill-advised and misguided. Duquette showed a lack of understanding of concussions with that comment, and I think it might have sparked a couple of the more ignorant comments in this thread.

If I was Brian Roberts, I would do everything I could to collect that 20MM. Even if I couldn't play.

He doesn't owe the Orioles anything. It's the Orioles who ultimately agreed that he's to be paid this contract and I can't fault an injured Brian Roberts for collecting it.

Maybe if the Orioles scouted and drafted better they wouldn't have to give him the contract he did. Maybe if the Orioles surrounded Brian Roberts with a winning team, maybe he'd feel obligated to reach an injury settlement.

My problem with his injury is that it wasnt a accident that happened playing baseball. It was a act of stupidity and self inflicted.

I hope no one is saying things they wouldn't say to Robert's face, including Duquette.

Well unless DD was misquoted, he made his statements publicly, which is essentially to his face imo. Not like he's an anonymous message board poster. I'm also not sure of the practicality of any of us having a face to face conversation with Brian Roberts. But hey, it sounds good. I'll give it a 9 on the testosterone scale.

Exactly. I think Duquette's comment about "I don't see why he can't come sign some autographs" was ill-advised and misguided. Duquette showed a lack of understanding of concussions with that comment, and I think it might have sparked a couple of the more ignorant comments in this thread.

I agree here, Paul. I have been 100% behind Duquette so far, but to me that comment was ill advised and unnecessary. It is not

critical that Brian Roberts show up to sign autographs, he'd have to answer the same questions a thousand times of which

he probably doesn't even know the answer to begin with. As others have said, concussions are a tricky thing, and PCS seems

to be even more of a mystery. They need to move on, realize any Roberts they get this year would be a bonus. And stop with the

silly comments about whether or not he should collect a contract. If the contract had a clause in it about the O's not paying if

you do something stupid like hit yourself on the head with the bat, so be it. Contracts have clauses in them all the time prohibiting

players from doing certain things or voiding the contract over certain things. I have no sympathy for Angelos (and I don't think he has

been saying he shouldn't have to pay Roberts), and as a diehard fan I really would like that money to be available for players that can play. But DD should know better than use bully tactics in a place like this. Can't be very good in the eyes of his players, or even in the eyes of potential free agents coming to town.

Archived