Roberts to miss FanFest to avoid stress, Duquette wants him to reconsider

JTrea81

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, i hope nobody takes this personally but there's a lot of A-holes commenting about what they know little about.
Gee, it's a good thing you put that caveat out there because, well you know.... :cool:
If Brian is still this bad, it might be better if the club released him. Amicably of course. He'd still get his money. I'm not sure if that would count on our payroll... probably. The big thing is the roster spot the next two years. Brian has to be on the 40-man at the end of ST. Then to the 60 DL. That's what killed us with Belle every year. It's not the money (so much...)
They won't release him with insurance paying a large percentage (but not all) of his contract. Unlike some of the previous comments in this thread, I believe he really wants to get back to the game, and it's heart-breaking for him.

I'm not going to get very ruffled about Roberts missing FanFest. But if there was any part of my mind that still held out hope that we'd see him play again......not anymore. I think he really should approach the Orioles about a settlement now. The Orioles have been good to him.

I think anyone who is criticizing Roberts here is completely off base. Has anyone here had PCS or known anyone to have it? Let me help you out.

Source: wikipedia - criticize it all you want, I can find the same information elsewhere.

Roberts is in a physical and emotional hell and you want to criticize him for not signing autographs. Would you like to have any of the bolded symptoms in the middle of a convention center surrounded by thousands of people?

I am not criticizing his health at all. However, if he can't sign autographs and be around people in late January, how will he start Spring Training 3 weeks later. He's done.

Yeah, you've said this a few times. I'm not sure why that has anything to do with what Roberts should or shouldn't do. It's not like he went out looking to injure himself. He did something in a moment of frustration. I don't understand why it seems you're holding that against him.

Maybe because we've paid him 20 MILLION bucks to sit at home due to an injury HE caused to himself. In the real world, no business is going to let someone off the hook on this. They would be terminated for not following procedure, or something like that.

I like BRob a lot, and I feel for him and his illness, but its time to do the right thing and retire. The O's need that cash.

Another thought.........Roberts strikes me as someone who would be interested in a baseball career after his playing days. Why not offer him a settlement that guarantees him a coaching job after he retires (which I'm guessing he wouldn't be ready to admit yet)? Wasn't his father a coach at UNC or South Carolina? He has roots in Baltimore now, so guaranteeing that he has a job here after he decides to hang em up might be a good way to package a settlement in a positive way. One thing I dislike is how his situation is deteriorating sentiment among Oriole fans. He was well regarded by Oriole fans as a player and while I understand DD's comments about FanFest, I don't like that his career seems to be winding down in the way that it is. I have always felt his contribution was underrated.....even in a town that really supported him.

For anyone that's ever been diagnosed with a concussion it's not fun.. i was diagnosed with a grade 2 concussion years ago, it took me 2 years to finally get to where i could do daily activities without feeling nausious, dizzy, headaches etc, and without worrying that i would set it back off again doing these activities.. Not to say what the mental worry was.. I'm fine now and i don't worry about it.. so for him to go there it's a mental thing more than the actual concussion, you just don't know when the symptoms can or will hit you.. they may or may not but being in front of a lot of people and alot of noise is no fun when your dealing with it.. so to that aspect i agree with him.. as for him playing.. i still think he can and play they way he once did.. but it's more mental now than physical or in this case concussion related.. the more baseball activities he does the more confidence he'll get that he can do them without symptoms! i do wish him luck though...

P.S. i hope fixing this satisies the OH english teacher!

That's if he reaches the point of permanent disability. We're not there yet. We're at the, "trying to figure out whether or not he can be productive and work" phase still.

You're out of your league here JD. You can be on leave for 12 weeks and still get your same position back. After that, short term disability kicks in up to 6 months. If you can make it back from that, you get A job back, but not necessarily YOUR job. After 6 months, unless you have long term disability insurance, the company can let you go without any penalty. So, in the real world, BRob would be getting paid through insurance, if he had it, not the 10 million dollar guaranteed contract.

Archived