Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit

Greg

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well he is Dominican. They can age 3 or 4 years over a span of a couple days.
Considering he's from the D.R., in all likelihood he's not 30.

Not the case with Betemit. He age discrepancy went the OTHER way - he told the Braves that he was older than he was, in order to sign his contract.

I can't get over that he's only 30. Seems like he's been playing forever.
Considering he's from the D.R., in all likelihood he's not 30.

Oh, Betemit's story is the opposite. He was signed by the Braves as a supposed 16-year old. Years later, when he switched agents, it was revealed that he was actually only 14 1/2 when the Braves signed him. His new agent (Shapiro) used this to try to claim his contract was illegal and get him to become a free agent. The Braves were fined $100,000 and banned by MLB from signing Dominicans for six months.

http://savannahnow.com/stories/022900/SPTbravesnotes.shtml

Not the case with Betemit. He age discrepancy went the OTHER way - he told the Braves that he was older than he was, in order to sign his contract.
Oh, Betemit's story is the opposite. He was signed by the Braves as a supposed 16-year old. Years later, when he switched agents, it was revealed that he was actually only 14 1/2 when the Braves signed him. His new agent (Shapiro) used this to try to claim his contract was illegal and get him to become a free agent. The Braves were fined $100,000 and banned by MLB from signing Dominicans for six months.

Yet somehow I could probably still be convinced he's not 30.

I don't want to take this thread on a tangent, but let's not pity the poor MLB team who was fooled by a kid. The Braves most likely scooped him up before he got to 16 by helping him with false ID. EDIT: Which would be why the MLB punished the Braves.

And the majority of players who have been found to be older than originally thought likely had help from MLB scouts who benefited.

I don't want to take this thread on a tangent, but let's not pity the poor MLB team who was fooled by a kid. The Braves most likely scooped him up before he got to 16 by helping him with false ID. EDIT: Which would be why the MLB punished the Braves.

And the majority of players who have been found to be older than originally thought likely had help from MLB scouts who benefited.

That is true BTW ;)

Oh, it wasn't meant to be taken that way :laughlol:

Uncle showed Braves the original birth-certificate, I think?

Excessively punitive IMO; we all know Jesuits can't hit a curve...

So you are saying we are taking the cheap option, with limited upside. Gee there is something new for this organization.

I'm not saying Betemit is a bad signing, it just doesn't make me warm and fuzzy inside.

Betemit is not a sexy name like Fielder, but he is a smart signing IMO. On a one year deal he is a guy who could be moved at the deadline for a decent-good prospect. Every time the Orioles make one of these deals it will push a starter to the bench which essentially upgrades two spots at once.

Example:

Chen signing solidifies Eveland as a reliever.

Betemit signing moved Davis to the bench.

Chavez provides OF depth over a guy like Pie.

Miller provides OF depth over a guy like Pie.

Teagraden is an upgrad to the backup catcher position.

Wada is an upgrade at to the SP/BP.

Flaherty is a better option off of the bench than anyone we had outside of Andino.

Antonelli is an upgrade to the bench.

A trade has to be coming because we now have Miller, Flaherty, Chavez, Teagarden and Davis on the bench. I doubt we go with a 5-man bench, but part of me hopes that we could if need be. My point is that the Orioles are getting stronger without splurging for a guy like Fielder. If they were to land Fielder than they would be in a nice position to move some of these guys for decent prospects or another arm.

Archived