Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit

Greg

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He can stand on third base, and hits righties to the tune of .292/.363/.486 from 2009-2011. He's the corner IF backup/righty platoon with Davis.

What this really does, barring injury, is squeeze Flaherty off the roster.

Not necessarily. Andino, Flaherty, and Antonelli will compete for starting 2B. One will become the UTIF. The other one will compete with Miller for the 4th spot on the bench. You have Teagarden, UTIF, Chavez 4th OF, one of Miller and whomever loses out on the 2B/UTIF job, competing. Both are RH bats and would platoon with Betemit at DH.

Typically they have gone with a 4 man bench.

Wieters, Davis, Antonelli, Hardy, Reynolds, Reimold, Jones, Nick and Betemit as the starting 9.

That leaves Chavez, Teagarden, Andino. As stated above, that leaves the last spot between Flaherty and Miller.

I guess my qustion regarding this signing is would you rather have Luke Scott? I believe I would, especially if this is our starting DH.

He is healthy. We are uncertain if Luke is. He can certainly not play any position yet. I suspect Betemit is playing for less than 6.3 million?

He can stand on third base, and hits righties to the tune of .292/.363/.486 from 2009-2011. He's the corner IF backup/righty platoon with Davis.

What this really does, barring injury, is squeeze Flaherty off the roster.

Not necessarily. If DD wants to keep Flaherty and have the option of demoting him, he can always try and work out a deal with the Cubs.

Not necessarily. Andino, Flaherty, and Antonelli will compete for starting 2B. One will become the UTIF. The other one will compete with Miller for the 4th spot on the bench. You have Teagarden, UTIF, Chavez 4th OF, one of Miller and whomever loses out on the 2B/UTIF job, competing. Both are RH bats and would platoon with Betemit at DH.

I just think they'd rather have a 5th OF rather than a guy who can barely play 2B/3B. And that's my opinion from watching him in college.

Not necessarily. If DD wants to keep Flaherty and have the option of demoting him, he can always try and work out a deal with the Cubs.

Oh no doubt. He's good depth.

He is healthy. We are uncertain if Luke is. He can certainly not play any position yet. I suspect Betemit is playing for less than 6.3 million?

So you are saying we are taking the cheap option, with limited upside. Gee there is something new for this organization.

I'm not saying Betemit is a bad signing, it just doesn't make me warm and fuzzy inside.

I just think they'd rather have a 5th OF rather than a guy who can barely play 2B/3B. And that's my opinion from watching him in college.

Oh no doubt. He's good depth.

I don't know much about Flaherty except he was referred to as the Rule 5 most likely to stick, and he could hit for some power and get on base. Between him and Miller I think it boils down to who looks to have the better bat.

So you are saying we are taking the cheap option, with limited upside. Gee there is something new for this organization.

I'm not saying Betemit is a bad signing, it just doesn't make me warm and fuzzy inside.

The O's preferred to go with multiple DH's rather than risking 7-8 M on Scott. Money better spent on SP IMO. I'd prefer Betemit and EJax to Luke.

Archived